    Account: 'pop.tools.sky.com', Server: 'pop.tools.sky.com', Protocol: POP3,
    Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted.', Port:
    995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

    Help!, Sep 23, 2008

    computer novice, Sep 23, 2008

  3. Help!

    Mark Guest

    Can whoever is kind enough to help this person please help me as well. Same
    issue but I am told my User name/User Password invalid. Thanks!! I'm
    desperate.
    --
    Mark

    Mark, Sep 23, 2008
  4. I seriously doubt its the same issue, probably a very similar issue unless
    you're using the same ISP. The same question applies, do you have an
    antivirus application installed that is setup to scan your email?

    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE --

    Hal Hostetler [MVP-P/I], Sep 23, 2008
  5. Do you have an antivirus application installed that is setup to scan your
    email?

    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE --

    Hal Hostetler [MVP-P/I], Sep 23, 2008
  6. Unless your error message is completely identical to the one below,
    including the mail server name, there is no guarantee that your issue
    has the same cause. If you would like custom help, right-click on your
    error message, copy, then paste it into a reply here.
    We can't do much troubleshooting without that complete error message.

    --
    Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

    Gary VanderMolen, Sep 23, 2008
  7. Help!

    Mark Guest

    Hi Hal,
    Sorry for delay as I appreciate your help. Yes, I have McAfee security
    suite. I was trying to set up Microsoft Mail when something went wrong.
    Keeps popping up a LOGON box asking for User name and Password. When I type
    it in it keeps saying invalid. Could I have screwed that up? The exact
    message I get is:

    The rejected e-mail address was ''. Subject 'Re: Welcome to
    Windows Mail', Account: 'pop.mail.yahoo.com', Server: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com',
    Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '530 authentication required - for help go
    to http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/pop/pop-11.html', Port: 25,
    Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 530, Error Number: 0x800CCC78
    Oh, and it gets better. I can't post a question on the discussion board.
    No dialog box appears. Only way I can communicate is via reply.
    Any help is really appreciated. Just want to get this up and running so I
    can move on with life. It may take a day or two before I can respond to
    anything you can think of as work doesn't allow me computer access.
    THANKS AGAIN, HAL
    --
    Mark

    Mark, Sep 25, 2008
  8. Is your Yahoo email account a free one, a paid one, or an ISP-partnered one?
    US-based free Yahoo accounts have webmail access only,
    no POP access. Windows Mail handles POP mail but not webmail.

    If you have the premium (paid) service that Yahoo calls "Mail Plus", use the
    special servers and settings for that service:

    http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/mailplus/pop/pop-14.html

    Gary VanderMolen, Sep 25, 2008
  9. Help!

    Mark Guest

    Hi Gary,
    Yes, it's a free, U.S. based account. What should I do next?? I kinda like
    the email address I created (even I can remember it!!) but I can begin again
    if that is the best bet. Most important issue: Need to get Mail setup right
    the first time.
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME
    --
    Mark

    Mark, Sep 26, 2008
  10. Well, you have four choices:
    a) Continue to use your free Yahoo account, but only through a web browser.
    or
    b) Pay Yahoo $20 per year, which gets you their premium Mail Plus service:
    http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/mailplus/overview/index.html
    or
    c) Switch to a different email address by getting a free Gmail account:
    http://gmail.com.
    or
    d) Who is your ISP? You can use your ISP-provided email address.

    Gary VanderMolen, Sep 26, 2008
  11. Help!

    Mark Guest

    Hi Gary,
    O.K. as choices are good. Some questions:
    What is an ISP? Where would I find my assigned email address? I purchased
    this with '07 Vista Home and Student with Microsoft Mail. Is Microsoft Mail
    my ISP?
    Paying $20 per year is not a huge issue. Just want to make sure it will
    work. Also, can I access email from another computer using Mail, Yahoo, or
    both?
    Thanks again, Gary. I work crazy hours but I will be responding back as I
    want to get this done. Thanks again, Gary!!!
    --
    Mark

    Mark, Sep 27, 2008
  12. Just paying for computer hardware and software does not get you a
    connection to the Internet. Windows Mail is simply a piece of software,
    it does not provide entitlement to connection service.

    Your ISP (Internet service provider) is the company who provides
    your connection to the Internet. Typically this can be a slow dial-up
    connection, or a much faster broadband connection from your cable company
    (Comcast, RoadRunner, etc.) or a DSL connection from your telephone
    company (Verizon, AT&T/SBC). When you signed up for Internet service,
    they should have given you an email address.

    Yahoo's Mail Plus service works fine, but all it does is give you an email
    address and the right to use their mail servers. It does not give you a
    connection to the Internet. I don't want you to pay Yahoo $20 per year
    for something that you may already be entitled to through your ISP for no
    added cost.

    Gary VanderMolen, Sep 27, 2008
  13. Help!

    Mark Guest

    Thanks Gary. That did help. I have wireless internet access via my
    roommates modem. They have a Verizon account with their desktop and laptop
    so I give them $20 a month. Very economical. I was obviously naive thinking
    I could just get a Yahoo email address, start up Mail, set up my contact
    list, and be done.
    What would you suggest? Let's assume using Mail as my email program and
    keeping my Yahoo email address (one thing I did right. I haven't given
    anyone my email address until I make sure I can use it). And don't heistate
    to explain it to me as you would a ten year old.
    And again, thank you for your time!
    --
    Mark

    Mark, Sep 28, 2008
  14. You can keep using your Yahoo email address via webmail, using your
    browser. If you want to use a desktop email program like Windows Mail,
    pay Yahoo to get their premium "Mail Plus" service:
    http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/mailplus/overview/index.html
    and use the special settings for that service:
    http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/mailplus/pop/pop-14.html

    Alternatively, get a free email account from Gmail: http://gmail.com
    and set that up in Windows Mail:
    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=86383

    Gary VanderMolen, Sep 29, 2008
  15. Help!

    Mark Guest

    Gary,
    UGGHHHH. I really appreciate your help. I took your advice and set up a
    Gmail account. Nope, that didn't happen. Tried to send an email thinking it
    was set up and this is the message I got:

    The rejected e-mail address was ''. Subject 'test send',
    Account: 'pop.gmail.com', Server: 'smtp.gmail.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server
    Response: '530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. m73sm1126699rnd.0',
    Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 530, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

    I checked the smtp. I have it as smtp.gmail.com That is what is in the
    directions. Any idea what to do??? I am sooo close to getting this done.

    Thank you for your help, Gary. It's like Star Wars. "Obie one, you are my
    only help"

    --
    Mark

    Mark, Sep 30, 2008
  16. You're using incorrect port and SSL settings for Gmail.
    For sending, use port 465 (instead of 25), with the SSL option enabled.
    Be sure to follow all the settings given in the instructions:

    Gary VanderMolen, Sep 30, 2008
  17. Help!

    Mark Guest

    Well, I got closer. I can now send and receive email on Gmail Microsoft
    Mail pops up two messages:
    The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.gmail.com', Server:
    'pop.gmail.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error:
    10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
    and...
    The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.gmail.com (1)',
    Server: 'pop.gmail.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket
    Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

    In properties, I changed both incoming pop.gmail.com and outgoing
    smtp.gmail.com to 465 -after first doing just outgoing- and enabled SSL on
    both as well.
    Gary, sorry this is turning into such a headache for you. I feel bad.
    Please let me know if the Yahoo pay plan is easier to install and I'll just
    do that.
    --
    Mark

    Mark, Sep 30, 2008
  18. You're still not following those Gmail setup instructions.
    The incoming (POP3) server uses port 995 (not 110), and its SSL
    option must be enabled.

    Gary VanderMolen, Sep 30, 2008
  19. Help!

    Mark Guest

    Hi Gary,
    I really appreciate your help. Went back over it. you were right. I didn't
    have it set right. Good news: I can now logon and I get email from the
    google sight.
    Bad news: not receiving mail from Mail
    Working real late so tonight so I'm going to simply delete the account and
    start from scratch. One problem I am experiencing is that I don't have the
    screens that the help instructions provided. Beleive it's the Wizard
    running. So I am going into tools, accounts, properties, advanced and doing
    it from there.
    I'll let you know how it turns out.
    --
    Mark

    Mark, Sep 30, 2008
  20. Let us know if you need more help. That's what I'm here for.

    Gary VanderMolen, Sep 30, 2008