    message stating"relaying not allowed-please use SMTP AUTH".

    What does this mean? it is a new computer and i have been unable to send
    emails since i got it.

    chamone, Mar 9, 2008

  2. chamone

    Bob F. Guest

    "chamone" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Mcaffee security system is stopping all my out bound emails,i get an error
    > message stating"relaying not allowed-please use SMTP AUTH".
    >
    > What does this mean? it is a new computer and i have been unable to send
    > emails since i got it.

    It means you have not filled in the configuration boxes for the smtp section
    in your e-mail. You need your password set and to check "my provider needs
    authorization". Please find the setup information on your mail provider web
    page and set up your client. If you want to tell us who that is, then maybe
    we can provide more pointers. Hold off on you McAfee assumption until we
    configure your mail properly. Thousands of us have McAfee and it's working
    fine.

    --
    BobF.

    Bob F., Mar 9, 2008

  3. chamone

    Guest Guest

    "chamone" <> wrote in message
    > Mcaffee security system is stopping all my out bound emails,i get an error
    > message stating"relaying not allowed-please use SMTP AUTH".
    >
    > What does this mean? it is a new computer and i have been unable to send
    > emails since i got it.

    Such messages usually come from the email server you are trying to
    connect to, not from a McAfee program. If your connection to the
    server crosses over from one internet provider's equipment to
    another, and uses port 25, such connections are often blocked to
    cause trouble for spammers. If this is your problem, ask your email
    provider if they allow you to use any other port to connect to their
    outgoing server, and if so, the details of how to switch over. Just
    trying all the ports is a very slow way to find out; there are about
    65,000 ports available.

    Guest, Mar 9, 2008
  4. If that error message is really coming from McAfee, then (as a minimum)
    you need to configure McAfee not to scan emails. Email scanning causes
    corruption in Windows Mail.
    If the error message continues, right-click on it, copy, then paste it
    into a reply here.
    --
    Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (WLMail)

    Gary VanderMolen, Mar 10, 2008