Can't Send Email from Outlooik While Traveling

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook Installation' started by BobT., Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobT.

    BobT. Guest

    I'm traveling. While charter.net is my home ISP and I can send email using
    Charter's own Webmail system, I cannot send using my Microsoft Outlook 2003
    SP3 from anywhere today. I've tried using the free Wi-Fi at Panera Bread and
    I've tried a home network here which is using AOL. I even changed the
    outgoing server address to <smtp.aol.com> while at the local home using AOL
    from <smtp.charter.net> which I use at my home location and I was using at
    Panera Bread. (I also tried <mail.charter.net> which is what Charter
    suggested, and that didn't work either.>) My Outlook tells me it is
    processing my outbox
    messages but then tells me it failed. And, indeed, it has failed.
    Everything is still sitting in my Outbox and nothing shows in my Sent Mail
    file. I use XP Pro SP3 as my OS. Can anyone help me to send email from
    Microsoft Outlook while I'm traveling these next few days? (Incoming mail
    works just fine.) Authentication is NOT selected, as I never have to do
    that at home on my home domain. I've tried selecting authentication and each
    of the three ways to do so - but still I can't get mail to Send. I've
    checked with Charter and they claim that as I can send and receive using
    their Webmail system it's not their problem but it's Microsoft's. I really
    don't care whose problem it is...I just want it to work! Any help will be
    greatly appreciated!!!

    BobT., Dec 16, 2009

  2. BobT.

    Roady [MVP] Guest

    You do have to enable authentication when you are no longer on their network
    (like you are from home).
    Remove all the messages from your Outbox, enable the authentication option,
    restart Outlook and try sending again.

    Also, do you have a virus scanner installed which integrates itself with
    Outlook? Uninstall this integration part of your virus scanner and try
    again; you'd still be sufficiently protected by your on-access scanner part
    of the virus scanner. For more details see;
    http://www.msoutlook.info/question/20

    --
    Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.howto-outlook.com/

    http://www.msoutlook.info/

    -----

    Roady [MVP], Dec 16, 2009

  3. BobT.

    BobT. Guest

    I've followed each of your suggestions - took all mail out of my Outbox,
    restarted Outlook, set up authentication (using the first radio dial),
    disabled email scanning in my Kaspersky Internet Security, and then tired
    sending each of my outbound emails again - unfiortunately with exactly the
    same results: an error message that says I can't send email! I appreciate
    your efforts to help me. Any other recommendations to try? I'm very
    frustrated and need to send emails for business while traveling. Thanks,
    again.

    BobT., Dec 16, 2009
  4. BobT.

    DL Guest

    You may have to uninstall your AV, then reboot, then reinstall the AV
    without the outlook integration in order to ensure its outlook hooks have
    been completely removed

    DL, Dec 16, 2009