    can’t be found on the network. I would appreciate any help.
    Thanks,
    Frank

    Guest, Apr 17, 2007

    Guest, Apr 17, 2007

    Malke Guest

    fbon wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I have 3 laptops and one desktop and a linksys wireless router. The desktop
    > is connected by a cat5 cable to the router and the laptops are connected
    > wireless. The desktop has a printer hooked up local that is shared and the
    > firewall is turned off. On all computers file and printer sharing is
    > installed and clients for Microsoft networks. The problem is from all the
    > laptops I can ping the desktop but when I unc to see the shares the computer
    > can’t be found on the network. I would appreciate any help.
    > Thanks,
    > Frank

    General networking troubleshooting:

    This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. I understand
    that you said you turned "the firewall" off but you may have missed one.
    Run the Network Setup Wizard on all computers, making sure to enable
    File & Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will
    turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
    firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
    Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
    third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
    Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
    IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
    substitute your correct subnet.

    If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center:

    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
    Simple File Sharing enabled.

    resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it matters
    in your situation.

    Shared Documents folder.

    If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
    troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
    and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers