Can't Restart XP Home Edt. - Desktop not Reloading/Blank Screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP Basics' started by Aggie2003, Nov 25, 2009.

  1. Aggie2003

    Aggie2003 Guest

    Thank you All in advance for your responds.

    My laptop was working fine and then it froze. I couldnt restart it on my
    desktop since it was frozen so I turned it off from the on/off button and
    then turned it on again. I saw the windows logo showing on my screen while
    a blank black screen after the reloading process and no error messages. I
    push the F8 button to access the "advanced options menu" during the restart.
    I tried safe mode, Last Known Good Configuration, Start Windows Normalls but
    none of those options worked. I didnt want to get into more technical stuff
    without an expert's offers for alternative solutions. I want to find a
    solution without loosing any documents in my computer. I would appreciate if
    you could please send me your recommendations. Thank you

    Now, on my Advanced Options Menu, i see the following:

    "
    Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt

    Enable Boot Logging
    Enable VGA Mode
    Last Known Good Configuration
    Directory Restore Mode (Windows Domain Controllers only)
    Debugging Mode
    Disable automatic restart on system failure

    Start Windows Normally
    Reboot
    Return to OS Choices Menu
    "
    PS: My computer has the Windows XP Restore CD installed. It came like that
    from the factory without a CD.

    Aggie2003, Nov 25, 2009

  2. Aggie2003 wrote:
    > Thank you All in advance for your responds.
    >
    > My laptop was working fine and then it froze. I couldnt restart it on my
    > desktop since it was frozen so I turned it off from the on/off button and
    > then turned it on again. I saw the windows logo showing on my screen while
    > a blank black screen after the reloading process and no error messages. I
    > push the F8 button to access the "advanced options menu" during the restart.
    > I tried safe mode, Last Known Good Configuration, Start Windows Normalls but
    > none of those options worked. I didnt want to get into more technical stuff
    > without an expert's offers for alternative solutions. I want to find a
    > solution without loosing any documents in my computer. I would appreciate if
    > you could please send me your recommendations. Thank you
    >
    > Now, on my Advanced Options Menu, i see the following:
    >
    > "
    > Safe Mode
    > Safe Mode with Networking
    > Safe Mode with Command Prompt
    >
    > Enable Boot Logging
    > Enable VGA Mode
    > Last Known Good Configuration
    > Directory Restore Mode (Windows Domain Controllers only)
    > Debugging Mode
    > Disable automatic restart on system failure
    >
    > Start Windows Normally
    > Reboot
    > Return to OS Choices Menu
    > "
    > PS: My computer has the Windows XP Restore CD installed. It came like that
    > from the factory without a CD.

    It could be that the abrupt shut down that you were pretty much forced
    to use caused your normal user profile to be damaged. Have you tried
    logging in with any other user accounts to see if they produce the same
    results?

    I'd recommend trying to log in using the built-in Administrator
    account. By design, the only way to log into the built-in Administrator
    account of WinXP Home is to reboot into Safe Mode. Unless you'd
    deliberately set the Administrator's password via the Management Console
    (_not_ the Control Panel), it's probably still blank. WinXP Pro asks
    the installer to set the Administrator's password during installation,
    but WinXP Home doesn't.

    If this is successful, you can rename your former account (i.e., change
    the folder name "C:\Documents and Settings\UserName" to "C:\Documents
    and Settings\UserName.old," create a new user account for yourself, log
    into it once to create the profile's folder structure, and then copy the
    data files from the old user profile into the new one.

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:

    killed a great many philosophers.
    ~ Denis Diderot