Cant remember the Username or Password to my Dell Desktop

Reaction score
Hey All!!

I have forgotten my login Username and Password to my Dell Optiplex GX280 Desktop and it is the only account that has been set. This desktop is opporating off of Windows XP Professional 2002. What are some of the options that I can take to fix this problem? This is an urgent matter as I need to start using this computer for school and work. Can someone please help me???

Thank you!! :bow:

Reaction score
Okay, Try this method, probably you have to use another computer to do this:

1. Download ERD(Error Rescue Disk) Commander 2007. Follow this link
(MAKE SURE ITS AN ISO. Image
2. Burn it to a CD
3. Boot from the CD.When it boots, go to start, "Administrative tools", then "Locksmith"
4. Here you are going to be requested to reset your login username and password to a new one, without loosing any data.
5. Reboot and use the newly created username and password.

This should solve your problem

Reaction score
I was installing my Dell motherboard today and read in the manual that there is a password jumper. You take the jumper and move it to the 2nd and 3rd pins for about 5 seconds and the move the jumper back to the 1st and 2nd pins. I assume you do this while it is off. Try it. It should work. Try reading the manual for you pc.

Last edited by a moderator:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... Tracy Newport, if you did such a thing on your MB, you have reset the BIOS, it shouldn't be used unless you know how to reset the BIOS back to some sort of normality.

Anyone who tells you to reset the BIOS to "fix" a problem, is err, IMHO, not your friend.

The four main functions of a PC BIOS
  • POST - Test the computer hardware and make sure no errors exist before loading the operating system. Additional information on the POST can be found on our POST and Beep Codes page.
  • Bootstrap Loader - Locate the operating system. If a capable operating system is located, the BIOS will pass control to it.
  • BIOS drivers - Low level drivers that give the computer basic operational control over your computer's hardware.
  • BIOS or CMOS Setup - Configuration program that allows you to configure hardware settings including system settings such as computer passwords, time, and date.

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/b/bios.htm

:user:

Reaction score
... Tracy Newport, if you did such a thing on your MB, you have reset the BIOS, it shouldn't be used unless you know how to reset the BIOS back to some sort of normality.

Anyone who tells you to reset the BIOS to "fix" a problem, is err, IMHO, not your friend.

The four main functions of a PC BIOS
  • POST - Test the computer hardware and make sure no errors exist before loading the operating system. Additional information on the POST can be found on our POST and Beep Codes page.
  • Bootstrap Loader - Locate the operating system. If a capable operating system is located, the BIOS will pass control to it.
  • BIOS drivers - Low level drivers that give the computer basic operational control over your computer's hardware.
  • BIOS or CMOS Setup - Configuration program that allows you to configure hardware settings including system settings such as computer passwords, time, and date.

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/b/bios.htm

Thank you for explaining that to me. How do I fix bios? I feel foolish now. Won't do that again.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
@Tracy Newport don't take it personally, and please don't let it put you off helping people when you think you can. We all make mistakes, and it is how we learn :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
OK I get it now. Thx for making me feel stupid. I guess I won't be trying to help anyone else.

please don't don't stop helping, I meant no offence to you personally ... I should have worded that better.

It's just that resetting the BIOS is a last resort and you may end up regretting doing so.

Ask a Question