can't pull up certain webpages anymore

Discussion in 'Windows XP Internet Explorer' started by Guest, Feb 2, 2004.

    For the past 2 days I cannot view certain webpages that I use quite often.I keep getting the "This page cannot be displayed" page. The sites are Dynamic drive.com & Draac.com. Also there are a few other sites that are not coming up anymore.Otherwise my internet works fine.I am running XP pro & I am up to date on all windows & virus updates & run adaware.Any input is appreciated.

    Guest, Feb 2, 2004

    Burt Guest

    RRCorky,
    Have you dumped your Temporary Internet Files lately? Open IE
    and go to Tools/Internet Options/ and on the General tab, click Delete
    Files.
    give it a minute and hit APPLY and OK... See if this helps.
    --
    Burt
    The Old Alaskan

    Burt, Feb 2, 2004

    Jim Guest

    Ive just started getting the same behaviour. Using WinXP Sp1 with its
    ie6 i'm finding more than half of the destinations i try end up with
    'page not found'. The strange thing is that the status bar shows each
    part of the page as loading (eg images, objects etc) yet as the
    completed page gets ready to display, the browser comes back with the
    page not found error. I dont think ive been hit by ad/spyware
    recently. Does this behaviour sound familiar?

    Jim

    Jim, Feb 2, 2004

    H Leboeuf Guest

    It may be a HOSTS file problem.
    Look also for a file named HOSTS (no extension, could be hidden) rename it
    OLDHOSTS.

    If you did not create the file, then you may parasites, or you are using a
    web accelerator program that would be causing this problem.

    Dealing with Unwanted Spyware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    If you have XP Pro. Then it may be an IP issue.
    The Syntax and Options for Using the Ipconfig Diagnostic Utility for Network
    Connections
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314850 (XP 8/6/2002)

    --

    Henri Leboeuf

    H Leboeuf, Feb 2, 2004

    That is basically what I am getting.It will say loading "so&so site" & then it goes to connecting to "address" sometimes then "Page Cannot be displayed".I have asked others to check the same sites & some are getting it & some don't so I really don't understand this.My cable sevice is "Comcast" & I'm wondering should I contact them to see if they can help
    Thanks for all the input.

    Guest, Feb 2, 2004

    Jim Guest

    "H Leboeuf" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > It may be a HOSTS file problem.
    > Look also for a file named HOSTS (no extension, could be hidden) rename it
    > OLDHOSTS.

    Tried that. hosts only contained a localhost entry. Renaming it didnt
    help

    > If you did not create the file, then you may parasites, or you are using a
    > web accelerator program that would be causing this problem.
    >
    > Dealing with Unwanted Spyware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    Ive scanned for spyware - nothing found. HyjackThis didnt show
    anything

    > If you have XP Pro. Then it may be an IP issue.
    > The Syntax and Options for Using the Ipconfig Diagnostic Utility for Network
    > Connections
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314850 (XP 8/6/2002)

    IP itself works fine. I can telnet and RDP to destinations. Wierd
    thing is that IE6 will actually load all the objects of a given page.
    Its just that, as the final load completes, it comes up with the
    error.

    Ive tried with proxy and without proxy - same diff. I ended up
    reimaging from a backup. The problem has gone away ... until next
    time.

    Jim, Feb 3, 2004