Can't move system to new machine

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Setup' started by The Real Bev, Apr 10, 2005.

  1. The Real Bev

    The Real Bev Guest

    I started out with a used 233 MHz machine with a 3-gig HD running win2K. I
    only want to use this machine for applications that won't run under linux
    (turbotax, scanner, camera, etc.). The previous installation seemed OK after
    I deleted Jason's pre-school games (all that the machine contained) and
    installed what I needed including whatever upgrades MS said I needed. Added a
    5-gig drive as E:\ and added more needed software. Everything ran fine,
    except for the fact that I only have 650 meg unused space on the drive and
    some software insists on adding itself to the c:\drive.

    This machine has always taken a long time to boot, sticking several minutes
    each in the 'applying security policies' and 'applying personal settings'
    screens both before and after installing the MS security updates from the
    April 2004 CD.

    Acquired a faster machine. Put the C:\ drive in and got nothing but the blue
    STOP <etc> screen. Tried all possible varieties of repair from my win2K CD,
    all of which claimed success. Still got the blue STOP screen.

    Used hdclone to move C:\ to a new 20-gig drive. Same STOP screen. Tried
    original 3-gig drive in several different machines. Same STOP screen.
    Installed brand-new win2K system on freshly formatted 20-gig drive in faster
    machine. Works OK, except machine isn't THAT much faster because the BIOS
    only allows it to run at 100MHz instead of the 850MHz it's supposed to be.
    Put 20-gig drive in original 233 machine. Blue STOP screen.

    Based on experience here, it would seem that there's some rule about win2K
    running only on the machine it was created in. Could this possibly be true?
    I still need to install software and I have no idea how much space on C: it
    will require, and 650 meg seems like not anywhere near enough squish room
    anyway.

    Help!

    --
    Cheers, Bev
    I have no idea what I'm talking about, so here's

    The Real Bev, Apr 10, 2005

  2. The Real Bev

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Apr 23, 2005

  3. The Real Bev

    Guest Guest

    im fairly new at this how ever it sounds like the heads and cyl . may not b
    right

    Guest, Apr 23, 2005
  4. The Real Bev

    DL Guest

    I've lost the plot on this post, but if you're saying you moved a hd, that
    had win2k installed, to a new pc, and wish to use the win2k previously
    installed, you have to run the win repair installation, in order for win to
    recognise your new sys.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;268106
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824125

    DL, Apr 24, 2005
  5. The Real Bev

    The Real Bev Guest

    DL wrote:

    > I've lost the plot on this post, but if you're saying you moved a hd, that
    > had win2k installed, to a new pc, and wish to use the win2k previously
    > installed, you have to run the win repair installation, in order for win to
    > recognise your new sys.

    I did all levels of repair using the win2K CD. Claimed success but actually
    failed. Do they still call it a BSOD when it refuses to boot, or is that
    limited to sudden death while running?

    Someone else suggested something like "zero out all your current hardware
    devices, shut down the machine, move the hard drive to the new machine and let
    it discover all the new devices by itself". I haven't tried it, but it sounds
    sensible. What sounds insane is that there seems to be NO efficient (or
    automatic) way for a windows installation to transfer itself to a new hard
    drive (surely a common requirement) or to transfer the drive itself to a new
    system.

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev

    The Real Bev, Apr 25, 2005
  6. The Real Bev

    DL Guest

    Well I've never had a problem using the repair install option, though I
    guess theres allways a first time.
    However you seem to be saying that you've now got a fresh install, but that
    the bios has downgraded the cpu? speed. If that is the case you have a
    hardware problem/fault
    Whatever youre trying to do you cannot willy nilly move an o/s hd from one
    sys to another.

    DL, Apr 26, 2005