    I must be missing something, but I can't figure out what! I'm wide open to
    suggestions.

    Thanks

    Guest, Oct 18, 2005

    Alceryes Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Reformatted my hard drive. When I try to reload Windows XP, I get an error
    > message stating "cannot copy file per_seg5.swf" and the installation craps
    > out from there. I've tried loading Win 98SE with the same results.
    > I've done every test I can on the hardware, tried a differant hard drive,
    > and get the same result and an unbootable computer.
    > I must be missing something, but I can't figure out what! I'm wide open to
    > suggestions.
    >
    > Thanks

    Maybe your CD drive? Try booting from a Win98 startup floppy and copying the
    Win98 CABS folder to your HD and run setup from there.
    --

    "I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
    - Alceryes

    Alceryes, Oct 18, 2005

    Sounds like a problem with the CD itself. Can you clean it off. Search
    google for proper way to do so. Do you have a genuine copy of Windows XP?
    If its a CD-R disc copy, eventually over time it will degrade. And lastly,
    how about your CD rom drive, is it old? Several companies make a CD lens
    cleaner kit, that uses small bristles to clean off the CD-Rom drive lens head.

    Good Luck

    Guest, Oct 18, 2005

    Problems copying files, or corrupted files, during installation are most
    often caused be defective/sub-standard hardware components. In order of
    likelihood: RAM, motherboard, or the hard drive. What was the original
    problem that necessitated the OS re-installation? It may hold a clue as to
    what component is still failing.

    Guest, Oct 18, 2005