From: "Corey" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2006 11:55 PM
Subject: Can't install printer driver

kevin forsythe

a couple of suggestions to get the driver working under Vista (I don't own a
Samsung printer)
download the latest driver from Samsung website.. right click on the *.exe
file and select the "compadibility" tag and set it to Win XP SP2 and check
the box that says
"run as an administrator" what this does is trick the exe file to thinking
that it's running on an XP system - the driver may then install with no
problems..

if that doesn't work my other suggestion is .. go into control panel in
Vista select printers and when you click on "add a printer" select
Samsung.. and there is a driver listed
for the CLP-550 while I agree that you have a CLP-500 and not a CLP-550 my
understanding is (and I could be wrong) there is ONLY 1 core Printer driver
in XP & Vista
for all printers.. all the extra features like seeing how much ink you have
left on screen.. setting specific details are done through a mini-port
driver that links into the core OS print driver..

what this means (in english) if you select the closest Samsung driver (or in
fact almost any printer driver ) you should be able to get the thing to
actually print with no problems.. it may not
have advanced features like selecting from Tray #1 -vs- #2 but at this
point (or at least until March 2007) when vendors drivers for Vista start to
get mature..

you could also contact Samsung support ... (and if your able to get past the
1st level .. 3rd world country tech support people ) there may actually be a
Vista driver under development.. this of course comes down
to what your political standing is.. I happen to work for a VERY large
influencial company.. by contacting our internal contacts at places like
Netgear, Microsoft, Cisco etc. things get done.. unfortunately for the
average
joe this isn't always possible..

James Lynch

Thank you for all the helpful suggestions.Unfortunately, I tried all of them
to no avail. Samsung released a newer CLP-500 driver but this still has no
effect except that it installs properly on the printer server machine.
I've also tried to use the TCP/IP method which installs the printer but will
not print a test page. I know what you mean by getting nowhere with
companies if you haven't got the necessary clout. I just tried to see if
Benq would be doing an upgrade driver for my Acer
ST620 SCSI scanner and the reply was
"There is no driver for vista for this product and at this point there would
be no support or drivers released that will work under vista."

Maybe you could have a word with them ;-)

Cheers,

Jim

Dimpz

James said:
Thank you for all the helpful suggestions.Unfortunately, I tried all of
them to no avail. Samsung released a newer CLP-500 driver but this still
has no effect except that it installs properly on the printer server
machine.
I've also tried to use the TCP/IP method which installs the printer but
will not print a test page. I know what you mean by getting nowhere with
companies if you haven't got the necessary clout. I just tried to see if
Benq would be doing an upgrade driver for my Acer
ST620 SCSI scanner and the reply was
"There is no driver for vista for this product and at this point there
would be no support or drivers released that will work under vista."

Maybe you could have a word with them ;-)

Cheers,

Jim
I have exactly the same problem but I am using a dell 1100 laser. Exact
same error message.

I am using Vista 32bit RTM from MSDN.