Windows Vista Can't get rid of clip art..

Reaction score
Help...
Each time when I open Office/Word 2007 instead of a completely blank document (page) it opens with a clip art (in this case a tiger picture) that I placed a l-o-n-g time ago. In other words, it never opens blank.

What can I do? When I delete the picture and put text on it works OK. But again, everytime I open a new blank document, there is my friend, the picture of the tiger instead of a completely blank page.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
There's a Detect and Repair facility in ClipArt which might help.

In Word go into Insert > Picture > ClipArt. Near the bottom go to Organise Clips which then brings up Microsoft Clip Organiser. In the Help section you'll find Detect and Repair. Give it a try. :wave:

Reaction score
Tried it...still get the clip art everytime I open a blank document.

It is really annoying...

Anyone with any ideas on how to eliminate this??

Thanks...

Reaction score
Still get the picture everytime I open a blank document...

Anyone with any ideas? This is REALLY annoying..

Thanks...

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Seems to me somehow the blank document template has been altered so that it contains a picture of a tiger, instead of a blank document.

The blank document template is what MS Word uses to load up each time you start it.

It is a file called 'normal.dot', which will be stored in one of Microsoft Word's installation folders.

If you're using Windows XP, do the following to reset the 'normal.dot' file:

Click Start Menu, the Search.

Choose 'All files & folders'

type normal.dot as the file name

Look In C:\ drive
Then click 'More Advanced Options' and choose 'Search hidden files & folders'

when the file is found (there should only be one 'normal.dot' file), then right-click it and click 'Open Containing Folder'

Then minimize the window.

Now open MS Word, the tiger should still be there at this stage. Delete the picture of the tiger, so you have a blank document in front of you. Then click File, Save As. THIS BIT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT: Change the type so it says 'Document Template' and type the word 'normal' (without the quotes) as the filename. Save it to the DESKTOP.

Now close Word.

Go to the window you minimized before. Locate the 'normal.dot' file and rename it to something else, I would suggest 'normal old.dot'.

Now, copy the file you saved to the desktop into the folder, so you have a 'normal.dot' file in that folder again.

Start MS Word, it should start with a blank document and no tiger.

If you have Wndows Vista, post back and I'll put up the instructions for that.

Reaction score
My mistake...I DO have Windows VISTA...should have included that as I did in earlier postings.....

Thank you again..

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
No sorry, it was my mistake, you've posted this in a Windows Vista forum, so I should really have realised that.

Here are the instructions for Vista:

Click Start, and type 'normal.dot' in the search box. As soon as you type it, the "Search Everywhere" button will appear above the search box. You'll need to click this.

Now maximise the window that has opened and click 'Advanced Search'.

Change the location to Local Disk C:\, and tick the box which says 'Include non-indexed, hidden, and system files'

Now the file should appear in the window once it has been found. There should only be one 'normal.dot' file listed. Right-click it and click 'Open file location'

Then minimize the window.

Now open MS Word, the tiger should still be there at this stage. Delete the picture of the tiger, so you have a blank document in front of you. Then click File, Save As. THIS BIT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT: Change the type so it says 'Document Template' and type the word 'normal' (without the quotes) as the filename. Save it to the DESKTOP.

Now close Word.

Go to the window you minimized before. Locate the 'normal.dot' file and rename it to something else, I would suggest 'normal old.dot'.

Now, copy the file you saved to the desktop into the folder, so you have a 'normal.dot' file in that folder again.

Start MS Word, it should start with a blank document and no tiger.

Reaction score
Fixed!!!!

Problem SOLVED. Your instructions were clear, concise, and most of all...THEY WORKED!!

THANK YOU...THANK YOU....THANK YOU!!!!

Ask a Question