Can't get Printer Sharing Going

Discussion in 'Windows XP Print / Fax' started by Peter Skinner, Apr 24, 2009.

  1. Hi (I run XP )

    I just successfully networked two computers together, but I was unable to
    get the printer to be seen by the computer that does not have the printer
    directly attached to it.

    On the computer that has the printer I have selected Share this printer.

    On the computer that does not have the computer I followed these steps,
    which have worked in the past.

    http://udopage.com/xp/udopage_32.php

    How ever I can not see the printer at all even though I can see the computer
    that has the printer

    http://udopage.com/xp/auto_art_125.gif

    I'm a little lost as I believe I have done everything correctly.

    P.S.

    My Router has allowed printer sharing in the past..

    Thank you..

    Peter Skinner, Apr 24, 2009

  2. Peter Skinner

    Lem Guest

    Peter Skinner wrote:
    > Hi (I run XP )
    >
    > I just successfully networked two computers together, but I was unable to
    > get the printer to be seen by the computer that does not have the printer
    > directly attached to it.
    >
    > On the computer that has the printer I have selected Share this printer.
    >
    > On the computer that does not have the computer I followed these steps,
    > which have worked in the past.
    >
    > http://udopage.com/xp/udopage_32.php
    >
    > How ever I can not see the printer at all even though I can see the computer
    > that has the printer
    >
    > http://udopage.com/xp/auto_art_125.gif
    >
    > I'm a little lost as I believe I have done everything correctly.
    >
    > P.S.
    >
    > My Router has allowed printer sharing in the past..
    >
    > Thank you..

    Perhaps you weren't as successful in networking the computers as you
    thought ... have you made sure that the firewall on *both* computers is
    configured correctly and that only one firewall per computer is active?

    Stock networking advice from MS-MVP Malke; take the parts that apply to you:

    File/printer sharing

    Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as
    files and folders:

    For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
    caveat in Item A below).

    Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally
    caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including
    a stateful firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls
    such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or
    3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup
    machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating system does not
    permit it.

    A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network
    (LAN) traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing
    File/Printer Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network
    Setup Wizard on XP will take care of this for those machines.The only
    "gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you
    aren't running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus with
    "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a
    firewall, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually
    configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
    subnet. Do not run more than one firewall. DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS;
    CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

    B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup.
    This is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

    C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do
    not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the
    passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the
    accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. DO NOT
    NEGLECT TO CREATE PASSWORDS, EVEN IF ONLY SIMPLE ONES. If you wish a
    machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular user's
    account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at this link
    work for both XP and Vista:

    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

    D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
    Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

    E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
    home directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside
    those directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents
    folder. See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

    F. After you have file sharing working (and have tested this by
    exchanging a file between all machines), if you want to share a printer
    connected locally to one of your computers, share it out from that
    machine. Then go to the printer mftr.'s website and download the latest
    drivers for the correct operating system(s). Install them on the target
    machine(s). The printer should be seen during the installation routine.
    If it is not, install the drivers and then use the Add Printer Wizard.
    In some instances, certain printers need to be installed as Local
    printers but that is outside of this response.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Apr 24, 2009

  3. Thank You

    I'm studying your reply.. I know the answer is there somewhere

    Peter Skinner, Apr 29, 2009