    I don't really want to remove it if it is running and confirued already
    without checking how it's configured.

    Thanks heaps

    Guest, Nov 17, 2007

  2. In news:,
    semi <> typed:
    > Hi - I had a PDC go down that hosted DNS. I promoted my BDC and now
    > want to configure DNS.
    >
    > When I go to Windows components under networking details the DNS box
    > is ticked liked it's install already.
    >
    > When I go to admin tools the DNS MMC is not there.
    >
    > Is there another way to tell if DNS is already running and check it's
    > configuration?
    >
    > I don't really want to remove it if it is running and confirued
    > already without checking how it's configured.
    >
    > Thanks heaps

    You promoted a BDC?? Is this NT4 you're talking about?

    If this is Win2000 or 2003, and you lost ONE OF your domain controllers
    which was also hosting DNS but not on the one that was left, and assuming
    the zone was AD integrated, then yes, install DNS and the zone will
    automatically populate without any further action on your part.

    However, if you are saying you created a whole new domain controller with
    the same name as the original domain, then yes, dcpromo will want to
    configure DNS for you or you install DNS for it. Keep in mind however that
    this new domain, even though it is the same name, is completely different
    then the original domain because the SIDs are different.

    The part that doesn;t make sense if you are talking about 2000 or 2003 is
    the 'promoted a BDC' part. Therefore I belive at this juncture, to better
    assist you, please describe what exactly happened, how many domain
    controllers did you have, the original name, the new name (if iapplicable),
    and any and all actual steps you performed with clear details? This will
    clear up everything.

    Thanks,

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    confers no rights.

    Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT,
    MVP Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    Microsoft Certified Trainer

    Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations

    Ace Fekay [MVP], Nov 18, 2007

    I had 1 Windows SBS 2000 running DNS as the primary and 1 Windows 2000
    server running as a Backup domain controller.

    The SBS went down - it's now decommissioned.

    I seized the roles that I needed to with the Windows 2000 server and it
    looks as if everything is working OK. I am able to create new users and such
    where as I was not able to before…

    I brought up a new Windows 2000 server to run as a BDC. I tried to add it
    to the Domain but was not able to – got this message:

    Network Identification error – this condition may be caused by a DNS lookup
    problem.

    Now I would like to work on the DNS part. On the W2K server running as a
    primary, when I go to control panel, add software, windows components,
    network services…

    I just noticed something – before, I ticked the box for network services
    then click on details – it came up with DNS installed already. My mistake, I
    should of highlighted network services then details. When I do that, DNS is
    not installed….that is what threw me off. I thought DNS was already running
    on this server. That explains why I couldn’t find the MMC under admin tools…

    I am going to add DNS and try to configure it on this server and see what
    happens.

    Sorry.

    I have a question though, if I am only running DNS on 1 server – should I
    still select “enable active directory integrated DNS�

    Thanks heaps

    mark

    Guest, Nov 19, 2007
  4. In news:,
    semi <> typed:
    > I had 1 Windows SBS 2000 running DNS as the primary and 1 Windows 2000
    > server running as a Backup domain controller.
    >
    > The SBS went down - it's now decommissioned.
    >
    > I seized the roles that I needed to with the Windows 2000 server and
    > it looks as if everything is working OK. I am able to create new
    > users and such where as I was not able to before.
    >
    > I brought up a new Windows 2000 server to run as a BDC. I tried to
    > add it to the Domain but was not able to - got this message:
    >
    > Network Identification error - this condition may be caused by a DNS
    > lookup problem.
    >
    > Now I would like to work on the DNS part. On the W2K server running
    > as a primary, when I go to control panel, add software, windows
    > components, network services.
    >
    > I just noticed something - before, I ticked the box for network
    > services then click on details - it came up with DNS installed
    > already. My mistake, I should of highlighted network services then
    > details. When I do that, DNS is not installed..that is what threw me
    > off. I thought DNS was already running on this server. That
    > explains why I couldn't find the MMC under admin tools.
    >
    > I am going to add DNS and try to configure it on this server and see
    > what happens.
    >
    > Sorry.
    >
    > I have a question though, if I am only running DNS on 1 server -
    > should I still select "enable active directory integrated DNS"?
    >
    > Thanks heaps
    >
    > mark

    I see. First, I would like to mention that the names called 'PDC' and 'BDC'
    no longer exist. They are NT4 terms. What you did is created a replica DC in
    the SBS domain. No problem.

    As far as the AD Integrated zones, do you know if the zone was AD integrated
    on the SBS box? If so, all you have to do is install DNS and open the
    console and step back. Do not touch anything else. Do not attempt to create
    the zone either. If the zone WAS AD integrated, give it about 15 to 30
    minutes and then the zone will pop up like magic. This is because "AD
    Integrated" means the zone is actually stored in the actual AD database and
    gets replicated to all DCs. Therefore the 2000 DC has a copy of it.
    Installing DNS will make it appear in the console.

    Now if the zone was not AD integrated, then you will have lost all the data
    and you will need to manually create the zone, make it allow updates, then
    run the following commands to register the data into the zone:
    ipconfig /registerdns
    net stop netlogon
    net start netlogon

    Now once the zone exists and the records exist, now you can force the roles
    over to the new DC. Make it a GC too.

    Also either way you handle the DNS issue, it is now extermely important for
    you to remove the reference to the old DC from the AD domain by running what
    we call a Metadata Cleanup using NTDSUTIL. Following this article for a
    how-to.

    How to remove data in Active Directory after an unsuccessful:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216498

    Ace

    Ace Fekay [MVP], Nov 19, 2007