Can't delete a registry key

Discussion in 'DIY PC' started by Dave Rado, Dec 30, 2006.

  1. Dave Rado

    Dave Rado Guest

    I was trying to uninstall an Epson printer driver for the 830U. In
    "Control Panel/Add/Remove Programs" there was an item called "Epson
    Printer Software". If I clicked "Change/Remove" for it, a dialog poped
    up with a "Printer Model" tab, and with "Epson Stylus Photo 830U
    Series" highlighted. If I clicked "OK", it said "Uninstall complete";
    but it hadn't uninstalled anything - "Epson Printer Software" was still
    in the "Add/Remove Programs" list, and if I clicked "Change/Remove"
    again, the
    same dialog popped up with a "Printer Model" tab, and with "Epson
    Stylus Photo 830U Series" still highlighted. I posted in
    comp.periphs.printers and they suggested deleting all registry entries
    with the word "Epson" in, which I have now tried, but there are some
    registry entries that I can't delete! When I try to delete any of the
    following keys I get the following error message: ""Cannot delete
    EPSONStylus_Photo_830U. Error while deleting key." The keys are:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo_830­U

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo_830­U

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo­_830U

    I have tried running CCleaner and have also tried deleting the keys
    while in safe mode, but they keys still won't let themselves be
    deleted! There are no pending jobs in the print queue. Any ideas?

    Dave

    Dave Rado, Dec 30, 2006

  2. Dave Rado

    Shep© Guest

    On 30 Dec 2006 03:53:22 -0800 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With Yang
    then "Dave Rado" <> sent this :

    >I was trying to uninstall an Epson printer driver for the 830U. In
    >"Control Panel/Add/Remove Programs" there was an item called "Epson
    >Printer Software". If I clicked "Change/Remove" for it, a dialog poped
    >up with a "Printer Model" tab, and with "Epson Stylus Photo 830U
    >Series" highlighted. If I clicked "OK", it said "Uninstall complete";
    >but it hadn't uninstalled anything - "Epson Printer Software" was still
    >in the "Add/Remove Programs" list, and if I clicked "Change/Remove"
    >again, the
    >same dialog popped up with a "Printer Model" tab, and with "Epson
    >Stylus Photo 830U Series" still highlighted. I posted in
    >comp.periphs.printers and they suggested deleting all registry entries
    >with the word "Epson" in, which I have now tried, but there are some
    >registry entries that I can't delete! When I try to delete any of the
    >following keys I get the following error message: ""Cannot delete
    >EPSONStylus_Photo_830U. Error while deleting key." The keys are:
    >
    >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo_830­U
    >

    >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo_830­U
    >

    >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo­_830U
    >

    >I have tried running CCleaner and have also tried deleting the keys
    >while in safe mode, but they keys still won't let themselves be
    >deleted! There are no pending jobs in the print queue. Any ideas?
    >
    >Dave

    This is one reason I've stopped using Epson printers.There's drivers
    are badly written.I had to do a clean re-install of the O/S to get rid
    of all the epson drivers and their entries.I tried everything and this
    was my final re-course.I did not re-format.If this is win98 then,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/clean.html

    If winXP you may get away with a repair install,

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,

    Shep©, Dec 30, 2006

  3. Dave Rado

    JAD Guest

    "Dave Rado" <> wrote in message
[...]

    remove all 'USB composite' entries in the device manager then reboot and windows will rebuild
    the USB drivers then you should be able remove the software.

    JAD, Dec 30, 2006
  4. Dave Rado

    Dave Rado Guest

    Hi JAD

    JAD wrote:
    > "Dave Rado" <> wrote in message
    > I was trying to uninstall an Epson printer driver for the 830U. In
    > "Control Panel/Add/Remove Programs" there was an item called "Epson
    > Printer Software". If I clicked "Change/Remove" for it, a dialog poped
    > up with a "Printer Model" tab, and with "Epson Stylus Photo 830U
    > Series" highlighted. If I clicked "OK", it said "Uninstall complete";
    > but it hadn't uninstalled anything - "Epson Printer Software" was still
    > in the "Add/Remove Programs" list, and if I clicked "Change/Remove"
    > again, the
    > same dialog popped up with a "Printer Model" tab, and with "Epson
    > Stylus Photo 830U Series" still highlighted. I posted in
    > comp.periphs.printers and they suggested deleting all registry entries
    > with the word "Epson" in, which I have now tried, but there are some
    > registry entries that I can't delete! When I try to delete any of the
    > following keys I get the following error message: "Cannot delete
    > EPSONStylus_Photo_830U. Error while deleting key." The keys are:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo_830­U
    >

    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo_830­U
    >

    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo­_830U
    >

    > I have tried running CCleaner and have also tried deleting the keys
    > while in safe mode, but they keys still won't let themselves be
    > deleted! There are no pending jobs in the print queue. Any ideas?
    >
    > Dave
    >

    > remove all 'USB composite' entries in the device manager then reboot and windows will rebuild
    > the USB drivers then you should be able remove the software.

    I can't find any entries in Device Manager that contain the text "USB
    Composite". However, if I delete all of the USB-related entries that I
    *can* find, which are called "USB Root Hub" and "ALi PCI to USB Open
    Host Controller", then reboot, then wait for the drivers I deleted to
    rebuild, and then try to delete those registry entries again, I still
    get the error message: "Cannot delete EPSONStylus_Photo_830U. Error
    while deleting key."

    Is there anything else I can try?

    Dave

    Dave Rado, Dec 30, 2006
  5. Dave Rado

    JAD Guest

    "Dave Rado" <> wrote in message
    Hi JAD

    JAD wrote:
    > "Dave Rado" <> wrote in message
    > I was trying to uninstall an Epson printer driver for the 830U. In
    > "Control Panel/Add/Remove Programs" there was an item called "Epson
    > Printer Software". If I clicked "Change/Remove" for it, a dialog poped
    > up with a "Printer Model" tab, and with "Epson Stylus Photo 830U
    > Series" highlighted. If I clicked "OK", it said "Uninstall complete";
    > but it hadn't uninstalled anything - "Epson Printer Software" was still
    > in the "Add/Remove Programs" list, and if I clicked "Change/Remove"
    > again, the
    > same dialog popped up with a "Printer Model" tab, and with "Epson
    > Stylus Photo 830U Series" still highlighted. I posted in
    > comp.periphs.printers and they suggested deleting all registry entries
    > with the word "Epson" in, which I have now tried, but there are some
    > registry entries that I can't delete! When I try to delete any of the
    > following keys I get the following error message: "Cannot delete
    > EPSONStylus_Photo_830U. Error while deleting key." The keys are:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo_830­U
    >

    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo_830­U
    >

    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo­_830U
    >

    > I have tried running CCleaner and have also tried deleting the keys
    > while in safe mode, but they keys still won't let themselves be
    > deleted! There are no pending jobs in the print queue. Any ideas?
    >
    > Dave
    >

    > remove all 'USB composite' entries in the device manager then reboot and windows will rebuild
    > the USB drivers then you should be able remove the software.

    I can't find any entries in Device Manager that contain the text "USB
    Composite". However, if I delete all of the USB-related entries that I
    *can* find, which are called "USB Root Hub" and "ALi PCI to USB Open
    Host Controller", then reboot, then wait for the drivers I deleted to
    rebuild, and then try to delete those registry entries again, I still
    get the error message: "Cannot delete EPSONStylus_Photo_830U. Error
    while deleting key."

    Is there anything else I can try?

    Dave
    With the offending registry key highlighted, select 'Security > Permissions'
    from the menu and set the permissions back to 'Everyone - Full Control', then
    you will be allowed to delete it. Be aware that you may need to tick the box for
    'replace on all sub-keys' as well, if the key you are trying to delete has
    subkeys underneath it - a locked key further down the branch you are trying to
    kill will cause the same 'refused' symptoms you described.

    Use extreme care of course !

    Hope this helps,

    JAD, Dec 30, 2006
  6. Dave Rado

    T Shadow Guest

    "Dave Rado" <> wrote in message
[...]

    I've had luck in this situation by installing before uninstalling. Sounds
    screwy but it recreates the instalation and hopefull fixes the problem. Have
    never done it where USB was involved though. Good Luck.

    T Shadow, Dec 31, 2006
  7. Dave Rado

    Guest

    On 30 Dec 2006 03:53:22 -0800, "Dave Rado" <>
    wrote:

    > I posted in
    >comp.periphs.printers and they suggested deleting all registry entries
    >with the word "Epson" in, which I have now tried, but there are some
    >registry entries that I can't delete! When I try to delete any of the
    >following keys I get the following error message: ""Cannot delete
    >EPSONStylus_Photo_830U. Error while deleting key." The keys are:

    >I have tried running CCleaner and have also tried deleting the keys
    >while in safe mode, but they keys still won't let themselves be
    >deleted! There are no pending jobs in the print queue. Any ideas?
    >
    >Dave

    there's regedit.exe and there's regedt32.exe that you'll find in
    C:\WINNT\system32.

    regedt32.exe has deleted stuff for me that regedit won't.

    , Jan 1, 2007