can't associate FrontPage with htm and html files

Discussion in 'Microsoft Frontpage' started by anna, Mar 20, 2010.

  1. anna

    anna Guest

    I thought this was a windows Vista Home Premium problem with file
    associations, but since I have tried everything I can think of using default
    programs, Open With, server associations, I think it must be a problem with
    Front Page 2003

    when I go to html or htm files, right click to Open With, Front Page is not
    in the list of programs I can associate the file with. When I browse, I can
    find frontpg.exe, but when I click on it, it will not associate with any
    program. It will not go into the default programs list.

    I have reset associations in start, default programs utility in Vista Home
    Premium. Again, I try to change the html and htm file associations but the
    frontpg.exe will not change the association.

    I even tried to Enable FrontPage Server Extensions on the System, using the
    MMC snap-in console. Still can't associate FP2003 with any default program.
    What else is there?

    I have installed and uninstalled Frong Page, which is a stand along program.
    I have Office 2003 but did not install FP in with the Office suite. I had
    the same issue when it was installed withing MS Office 2003.

    What else can I do?
    --
    @nna

    anna, Mar 20, 2010

  2. Check the HTML editor setting in Internet Explorer under Tools | Internet
    Options | Programs - if it's not selected there, can you select it?

    --

    ~ Kathleen Anderson
    Microsoft MVP - Expression Web

    Kathleen Anderson, Mar 20, 2010

  3. anna

    LD55ZRA Guest

    By default, all htm and html files are associated to open with either
    Internet Explorer or in rare circumstances other browsers where the user has
    changed this deliberately.

    However, what you want is the default editor to edit html files and you can
    try this by opening your Internet Explorer and going to Tools, Internet
    Options, and now clicking on Programs.

    The first item is html editor and this is where you can select FP2003. On
    some machines (I won't go into detail about this here) you need to be in
    Administrator login for any changes to be permanent.

    hth

    LD55ZRA, Mar 20, 2010
  4. anna

    anna Guest

    "Kathleen Anderson" <> wrote in message
    > Check the HTML editor setting in Internet Explorer under Tools | Internet
    > Options | Programs - if it's not selected there, can you select it?
    >
    > --
    >
    > ~ Kathleen Anderson
    > Microsoft MVP - Expression Web
    > Spider Web Woman Designs
    > Expression Web Resources: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/xweb/
    > Expression Web Wiki: http://expression-web-wiki.com/
    > FrontPage Resources: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
    > Please reply to the newsgroup for the benefit of others

    I didn't think to do that earlier, but it did not change the htm or html
    file association. I did however see more extensions associated with Front
    Page.

    Still, when I try to open with, default program, and select Frontpg.exe, it
    will not select.

    Is there a remover of FrontPage 2003 so I can install it as if for the first
    time? I can do it manually also, if there is a file guide online.

    In the default programs that I can choose from when I select Open With,
    there is a flag that says Misc. When I was having trouble associating Front
    Page, I think I accidentally had the always open with checked when it jumped
    to a Misc file. Where would I go to unassociate that Flag Misc in the
    program associations?

    --
    @nna

    anna, Mar 21, 2010
  5. anna

    LD55ZRA Guest

    > Is there a remover of FrontPage 2003 so I can install it as if for the
    > first time? I can do it manually also, if there is a file guide online.

    Try this link:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

    hth

    LD55ZRA, Mar 21, 2010
  6. When you open FP can you open a htm or html file then?

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rob Giordano

    Rob Giordano [MS MVP], Mar 21, 2010
  7. anna

    Josh Davis Guest

    (Hope this doesn't re-post)

    Anna,

    I agree with Rob on this one. It has been my experience when I have a .htm
    or .html file I need to open with FrontPage I would just simply open the
    FrontPage 2003 application and then go to File -> Open and locate file or
    files location, or locations depending on how many different web page files
    you stored, how many locations said files are in and then get FrontPage 2003
    to open it directly and just click "Save". You might also be told upon
    opening FrontPage "Microsoft Office FrontPage is not currently your default
    Web page (HTML) editor. Would you like to make your default editor?" and just
    check "Always perform this check when starting FrontPage" and choose "Yes"
    every time you open FrontPage. I personally always do the above. I have never
    really needed FrontPage to open a web page through my document window like i
    would say a document, spreadsheet, or etc.

    Hope that helps,

    Josh Davis, Mar 21, 2010
  8. anna

    Josh Davis Guest

    Josh Davis, Mar 21, 2010
  9. anna

    anna Guest

    "LD55ZRA" <> wrote in message

    > "anna" <anna@accblockspamcom> wrote in message
    >
    >> Is there a remover of FrontPage 2003 so I can install it as if for the
    >> first time? I can do it manually also, if there is a file guide online.
    >>

    > Try this link:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

    thanks I tried that. It is one of my utilities I keep.
    --
    @nna

    anna, Mar 21, 2010
  10. anna

    anna Guest

    "Rob Giordano [MS MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > When you open FP can you open a htm or html file then?
    >

    > --
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > Rob Giordano
    > Microsoft MVP Expression Web

    I had to associate all htm and html files with Dreamweaver to be able to
    work on any web page. I did try to open the web page using FP but it just
    opens Dreamweaver.

    --
    @nna

    anna, Mar 21, 2010
  11. I don't think you're listening. Open Front Page. Open the page from
    within Front Page. Does that work?

    Craig

    Craig Schiller, Mar 21, 2010
  12. anna

    anna Guest

    "Craig Schiller" <> wrote in message
    >I don't think you're listening. Open Front Page. Open the page from within
    >Front Page. Does that work?
    >
    > Craig
    >
    > anna wrote:
    >

    >>> When you open FP can you open a htm or html file then?

    I am listening, that is just what I did, but it opened my other editor,
    Dreamweaver. From withing Front Page. If it was a simple issue I would not
    be in here asking for help.

    --
    @nna

    anna, Mar 21, 2010
  13. anna

    anna Guest

    SOLVED can't associate FrontPage with htm and html files

    Problem #1 solved. Itr is now associated properly.

    I uninstalled Front Page 2003 again, this time I ran CCleaner. I removed
    issues that had to do with Front Page files left behind, and also some
    issues identified as Open With something or other.

    Then I ran Reg Edit and ran a search for Front Page. [I backed up the
    registry of course] I deleted all keys that pointed to Front Page 2003 in
    Program Files. That was where I installed Front Page in a stand alone
    folder.

    When I reinstalled Front Page, just now, I allowed it to install under
    Program files, Office. I set the Internet Options Editor to Front Page.

    I then changed the file association in default programs from Internet
    Explorer to Front Page. Front Page Icon went into the default program list
    easily this time

    Aparently there were registry keys that said one thing, and I wanted it to
    behave differently.

    However, when I open Front Page, the Windows Installer that says "Installing
    Front Page Office Feature". When that closes, Front Page opens with the web
    page I clicked on. Any idea what is causing Windows Installer to activate
    when I open a Web page with Front Page?

    --
    @nna

    anna, Mar 22, 2010
  14. Re: SOLVED can't associate FrontPage with htm and html files

    Depends on how you installed FP
    - if you selected any options in FP to Install on Demand / 1st Use, that may be causing it
    From Add/ Remove Programs reinstall FP and check for any Install on 1st use or Demand options
    Then go to Windows Updates and check for any updates
    (there probably are Office related Updates required)

    Stefan B Rusynko, Mar 22, 2010
  15. anna

    anna Guest

    "Stefan B Rusynko" <> wrote in message
    > Depends on how you installed FP
    > - if you selected any options in FP to Install on Demand / 1st Use, that
    > may be causing it
    > From Add/ Remove Programs reinstall FP and check for any Install on 1st
    > use or Demand options
    > Then go to Windows Updates and check for any updates
    > (there probably are Office related Updates required)

    > SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage ]
    > "Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-;
    >

    > "anna" <anna@accblockspamcom> wrote in message
    > Program files, Office. I set the Internet Options Editor to Front Page.

    I did a Complete install. after running setup from the disc. Is it
    possible to run as repair and remove something? I reinstalled the service
    packs. I am not sure what to look for?

    --
    @nna

    anna, Mar 22, 2010
  16. You were not clear on exactly what was happening in your previous
    message. That leads to confusion.

    Craig

    Craig Schiller, Mar 22, 2010
  17. anna

    anna Guest

    Re: SOLVED can't associate FrontPage with htm and html files

    "anna" <anna@accblockspamcom> wrote in message
    >> SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage ]
    >> "Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-;
    >>

    >> "anna" <anna@accblockspamcom> wrote in message
    >> Program files, Office. I set the Internet Options Editor to Front Page.
    >>

    > I did a Complete install. after running setup from the disc. Is it
    > possible to run as repair and remove something? I reinstalled the service
    > packs. I am not sure what to look for?
    >
    > --
    > @nna

    I reinstalled from Add/Remove. It did not give me any options to change the
    install or remove an Install On Demand.

    --
    @nna

    anna, Mar 22, 2010
  18. Are you saying that when you start FrontPage then browse to an HTM or HTML
    file and select to open it IN Frontpage it opens in Dreamweaver?

    You need to list here (exactly) what steps you are taking to obtain these
    bizarro results.

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rob Giordano

    Rob Giordano [MS MVP], Mar 22, 2010
  19. anna

    > You were not clear on exactly what was happening in your previous message.
    > That leads to confusion.
    >
    > Craig
    >
    > anna wrote:

    I am sorry for any confusion. Until I researched it, I was not very clear
    on what it was doing or why. I have repaired the association problem. See
    above Question on the Windows Installer that is still a problem.

    --
    @nna

    anna, Mar 22, 2010
  20. anna

    > Are you saying that when you start FrontPage then browse to an HTM or HTML
    > file and select to open it IN Frontpage it opens in Dreamweaver?
    >

    > You need to list here (exactly) what steps you are taking to obtain these
    > bizarro results.
    >
    > --
    > Rob Giordano
    > Microsoft MVP Expression Web

    Yes that is what I was saying. I have repaired the association problem with
    manually removing problem issues with a registry editor and by manually
    editing the registry with regedit. That is no longer a problem . Thank you
    for your help.
    --
    @nna

    anna, Mar 22, 2010