Canon Pixma IP4500

ac

My trusted IP4000 has just given up the ghost ( carriage problem) so I'm
looking at the IP4500 as a replacement

A couple of questions if anyone would be so good as to answer them

1. Do compatible cartridges work ok with this model
2. Has anyone tried the following supplier? The prices for cartridges for
the 4500 are much cheaper than I've been paying for my 4000

http://shop.ink.co.uk/

Just in case Measkite pops up with his slanted view on original carts, let
me say that I have saved hundreds of £s on compatibles and there is no way
that I would buy a printer where compatibles were not readily available.

TIA to anyone who posts sensible replies

Burt

ac said:
My trusted IP4000 has just given up the ghost ( carriage problem) so I'm
looking at the IP4500 as a replacement

A couple of questions if anyone would be so good as to answer them

1. Do compatible cartridges work ok with this model
2. Has anyone tried the following supplier? The prices for cartridges for
the 4500 are much cheaper than I've been paying for my 4000

http://shop.ink.co.uk/
I'm sure you are aware of Canon's new carts that have chips on them to
remember that the cart is empty when you've depleted the ink in it. At
least in the US, you need to transfer the chip from the OEM cart to the
compatable to get the printer to function at all. The chip remembers that
it is from an empty cart and the printer doesn't work unless you agree to
forego your warranty. You also lose the ink monitoring function. The short
answer is that compat carts work but you need to transplant the chip.
Refilling is quite easy and is the least expensive way to go, but you have
the same result with losing the warranty and ink monitoring function. There
is a chip resetter on the market, but it is sufficiently expensive that only
commercial refilling firms would find it practical to buy one. I think that
one of the refilling companies in the UK has that service.

Frankly, what I would do is refill the OEM carts and have a spare set to
always have full ones to replace the empties. After several refills you can
purge the OEM carts and they will work again like new.

DanG

Frankly, what I would do is refill the OEM carts and have a spare set to
always have full ones to replace the empties. After several refills you
can purge the OEM carts and they will work again like new.

Actually, swapping tanks will not help, as the printer will remember them as
being empty. So you'd still wind up disabling the level monitoring system.

To the OP:

The IP4500 is superior to the IP4000 in several ways, mostly in the head.
Faster and better resolution, it's an excellent printer. I believe that
most folks in the UK prefer the JetTek compatible inks. I also have read
about compatible tanks in the UK with re-set chips already on them.

Edward W. Thompson

My trusted IP4000 has just given up the ghost ( carriage problem) so I'm
looking at the IP4500 as a replacement
snip

How old as the IP4000 when it failed? It can't have been that old, is
there an inherent problem of reliability (not print head) with Canon
printers. I have a couple of HPs that must be ten years old or more
and are going strong.

I appreciate the longevity of printers will depend upon their usage
but the IP is a 'home' printer and I assume cannot have seen severe
service.

Stick Stickus

Edward W. Thompson said:
snip

How old as the IP4000 when it failed? It can't have been that old, is
there an inherent problem of reliability (not print head) with Canon
printers. I have a couple of HPs that must be ten years old or more
and are going strong.

I appreciate the longevity of printers will depend upon their usage
but the IP is a 'home' printer and I assume cannot have seen severe
service.

Cartridge World in the UK is a company that can refil and reset the chips in
these cartridges.

I get very good results when I use them myself.
Regards
Stick

Burt

DanG said:
Actually, swapping tanks will not help, as the printer will remember them
as being empty. So you'd still wind up disabling the level monitoring
system.

To the OP:

The IP4500 is superior to the IP4000 in several ways, mostly in the head.
Faster and better resolution, it's an excellent printer. I believe that
most folks in the UK prefer the JetTek compatible inks. I also have read
about compatible tanks in the UK with re-set chips already on them.
:Dan - earlier in my post I covered (possibly not clearly enough) the fact
that you would lose the ink monitor and your warranty by using a prefilled
cart with a transplanted chip - same with a refilled OEM cart. I would
still, because of the exceptional savings, refill as I mentioned in my last
post. The refilled OEM carts with the reset chips that are available from a
few firms cost considerably more. Understandable as the resetters are
expensive. Refilling provides the best savings and the ability to use a
known manufacturer's ink.

OpaPiloot

ac said:
My trusted IP4000 has just given up the ghost ( carriage problem) so I'm
looking at the IP4500 as a replacement

A couple of questions if anyone would be so good as to answer them

1. Do compatible cartridges work ok with this model
2. Has anyone tried the following supplier? The prices for cartridges for
the 4500 are much cheaper than I've been paying for my 4000

http://shop.ink.co.uk/

Just in case Measkite pops up with his slanted view on original carts, let
me say that I have saved hundreds of £s on compatibles and there is no way
that I would buy a printer where compatibles were not readily available.

TIA to anyone who posts sensible replies

Useful info about refilling CLI-8* and PGI-5BK cartridges can be found
at
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/index.php
Switching off ink-level monitoring is not an issue, because by removing
the tapered piece of plastic and the upper part of the clip, the
inklevel can be checked visually while the cartridges are in the
printer.
See also
http://members.lycos.nl/dmjbijzboek/Electronics/CLI-8-inklevel.jpg
When the transparant part of the cartridge is empty, there is ample time
to refill it, because the foamed part still contains a lot of ink, so
there is no danger of running dry.

I do the refilling accordingly to the "German" method, which is quick,
easy and clean.

I own an IP4200; there are reports that an IP4300 and later models
simply refuses printing if ink-level monitoring is switched off for all
5 catridges.

measekite

ac said:
My trusted IP4000 has just given up the ghost ( carriage problem) so I'm
looking at the IP4500 as a replacement

A couple of questions if anyone would be so good as to answer them

1. Do compatible cartridges work ok with this model

NO! There is not such thing. The ink is a new formulation and is patented.
2. Has anyone tried the following supplier? The prices for cartridges for
the 4500 are much cheaper than I've been paying for my 4000

Genuine ink is about $2.00 more per cart.
http://shop.ink.co.uk/

Just in case Measkite pops up with his slanted view on original carts, let
me say that I have saved hundreds of £s on compatibles and there is no way
that I would buy a printer where compatibles were not readily available.
You saved nothing. You paid less and got less. Your prints will not
archive as long and the color quality is not as good.

measekite

Edward W. Thompson wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 23:16:15 GMT, "ac" <[email protected]> wrote:

My trusted IP4000 has just given up the ghost ( carriage problem) so I'm looking at the IP4500 as a replacement

snip How old as the IP4000 when it failed? It can't have been that old, is there an inherent problem of reliability (not print head) with Canon printers.

Only when you do not use Canon ink.

I have a couple of HPs that must be ten years old or more and are going strong. I appreciate the longevity of printers will depend upon their usage but the IP is a 'home' printer and I assume cannot have seen severe service.

ac

I tend to print a lot of photos due to the cheap replacement carts I can
get. So I suppose the printer does get heavier than normal use.

The breakdown was mainly my fault due to over zealous removal of wire that
had become entangled in the mechanism. Result a broken piece of plastic from
the paper loading mechanism. I've had no other problems with the printer and
would buy another one tomorrow if they were still available.

Thanks to everyone for their replies and I think I will have a go at filling
carts for my new IP4500. From what I can gather sealing the filling hole
after the fill can be a problem. I've read that silicone is quite good. Can
anyone confirm this?

measekite

OpaPiloot wrote:

ac wrote:

My trusted IP4000 has just given up the ghost ( carriage problem) so I'm looking at the IP4500 as a replacement A couple of questions if anyone would be so good as to answer them 1. Do compatible cartridges work ok with this model 2. Has anyone tried the following supplier? The prices for cartridges for the 4500 are much cheaper than I've been paying for my 4000 http://shop.ink.co.uk/ Just in case Measkite pops up with his slanted view on original carts, let me say that I have saved hundreds of £s on compatibles and there is no way that I would buy a printer where compatibles were not readily available. TIA to anyone who posts sensible replies

snip I do the refilling accordingly to the "German" method, which is quick, easy and clean.

oktune is not itune

I own an IP4200; there are reports that an IP4300 and later models simply refuses printing

That should protect the printer against inferior ink.

if ink-level monitoring is switched off for all 5 catridges.

OpaPiloot

Frank said:
measekite wrote:

...just more of his incessant lies.
Grow up loser.
Frank

Think about your heart, you better let your mail client filter M away,
then you never hear from him again. May he RIP.

DanG

ac said:
Thanks to everyone for their replies and I think I will have a go at
filling carts for my new IP4500. From what I can gather sealing the
filling hole after the fill can be a problem. I've read that silicone is
quite good. Can anyone confirm this?

The compatible tanks generally have a fill hole already in them. Silicone
plugs are also available from most sellers. For sealing the OEM tanks,
silicone is good, some folks also use a steel set screw.

Burt

ac said:
I tend to print a lot of photos due to the cheap replacement carts I can
get. So I suppose the printer does get heavier than normal use.

The breakdown was mainly my fault due to over zealous removal of wire
that had become entangled in the mechanism. Result a broken piece of
plastic from the paper loading mechanism. I've had no other problems with
the printer and would buy another one tomorrow if they were still
available.

Thanks to everyone for their replies and I think I will have a go at
filling carts for my new IP4500. From what I can gather sealing the
filling hole after the fill can be a problem. I've read that silicone is
quite good. Can anyone confirm this?
(snip)

ac - Sign on to http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ and read through the
threads on sealing the fill hole, purging the carts, and on the German
method of refilling. I prefer to refill Canon OEM carts. I create a fill
hole between the factory fill hole that has the little plastic ball in it
and the end of the cart over the reservoir area. I start the hole with a
hot push pin and jiggle it around a little bit to enlarge it. I then screw
into this hole a stainless steel #6 3/8 inch sheet metal phillips panhead
screw with a tight fitting O-ring. You occasionally have to replace the
O-rings when they get flattened out or spread a bit, but I've never had a
cart leak into my printer with this technique. One participant on the forum
uses flathead screws without O-rings. These screwheads have a tapered
underside that apparently seals well also. I'm partial to the O-rings as
I've never had a problem using them.

I've never used the German technique, but people who use it like it a lot
as there is no need to seal the hole you create to fill the cart. After
several refills with any technique, however, you need to purge the carts of
any dried ink and they will then work like new again. They purge best with
a hole created over the reservoir chamber, so if you use the German method
you will still have to make a hole in that area and seal it after the carts
are purged and dried.

measekite

ac wrote:

I tend to print a lot of photos due to the cheap replacement carts I can get. So I suppose the printer does get heavier than normal use. The breakdown was mainly my fault due to over zealous removal of wire that had become entangled in the mechanism. Result a broken piece of plastic from the paper loading mechanism. I've had no other problems with the printer and would buy another one tomorrow if they were still available. Thanks to everyone for their replies and I think I will have a go at filling carts for my new IP4500.

If you print many photos, are not fussy about photo quality, and are willing to accept a higher propensity of fading resulting in even lower quality then you might benefit from the savings of the crap ink provided you print enough so the head does not clog.

From what I can gather sealing the filling hole after the fill can be a problem. I've read that silicone is quite good. Can anyone confirm this? "Edward W. Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

OpaPiloot wrote:

Frank wrote:

measekite wrote: ....just more of his incessant lies. Grow up loser. Frank

Think about your heart, you better let your mail client filter M away, then you never hear from him again. May he RIP.

But

you gotta have heart.

measekite

DanG wrote:

"ac" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:T_Mij.7740$g%[email protected]...

Thanks to everyone for their replies and I think I will have a go at filling carts for my new IP4500. From what I can gather sealing the filling hole after the fill can be a problem. I've read that silicone is quite good. Can anyone confirm this?

The compatible tanks generally have a fill hole already in them. Silicone plugs are also available from most sellers. For sealing the OEM tanks, silicone is good, some folks also use a steel set screw.

Mine are pre sealed from Canon.