    which improved the printing _very_ slightly, so it looks like this may
    be the way to go. If so, how do I do it?

    Thanks for any help received.

    Wolf Kirchmeir, Jan 21, 2005

  2. Although I have not done tests on Canon inks, if you are using them, I
    have been told that the mixture I suggest for Epson inkjets works on
    Canon OEM (their own) inks. You can test it by mixing the ink color in
    question with a bit of the fluid I recommend, and make sure the ink
    dissolves into it without any particles developing or any clotting,
    sticking to the sides of the container or bottom, or floating.

    So, get some ammoniated window cleaner, (Windex with Ammonia D or
    Original Formula or a generic equivalent in North America.. you seem to
    be in Canada), add 10-25% isopropyl alcohol (that can be sold as 99% to
    70% mixed with water) do not use any sudsy or lubrication formulations.

    Place this so the head is in contact with a good wet soaking of it (on
    the pad, or on a quality paper towel, etc. Allow it to soak for a few
    hours, do a cleaning and try again. If you get improvement, but not
    full correction, do it again.

    If no improvement, it could be bad contacts on the head to printer (if
    the head is removable, do so and clean all contacts) , or a burned up
    circuit within the head (head replacement is required).

    Art

    Arthur Entlich, Jan 21, 2005

  3. Wolf Kirchmeir

    measekite Guest

    Are you and have you always used Canon brand ink?

    Do you use this printer infrequently? If so, how often?

    measekite, Jan 21, 2005
  4. Wolf Kirchmeir

    BF Guest

    Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:
    > Suddenly and without warning, the magenta on my i960 stopped printing. I
    > installed a fresh tank, and did several cycles of cleaning + nozzle
    > check. Tried some deep cleaning, too. But the magenta head still doesn't
    > print correctly - it looks like about half the nozzles are clogged (if
    > that's what it is.)
    >
    > I tried some isopropyl alcohol on the little pad underneath the tank,
    > which improved the printing _very_ slightly, so it looks like this may
    > be the way to go. If so, how do I do it?
    >
    > Thanks for any help received.

    I refill so my ink costs are very low. At least every other day I turn
    the printer on and do a nozzle test. If it looks ok I'm done. If not I
    do a cleaning cycle. Seems like a lot of playing around but it seems
    like the only way to reduce the risk of clogs.

    BF, Jan 22, 2005
  5. measekite wrote:
    > Are you and have you always used Canon brand ink?

    No. I wondered if this might be an isue, but haven't noticed any
    problems until recently.

    > Do you use this printer infrequently? If so, how often?

    Some days, I print a lot, other days not at all. The clogging turned up
    after about three days of idle time. I also started turning off the
    printer overnight, which may have contributed. (The printer does
    cleaning cycles on its own, apparently, to judge from the noises it
    emits from time to time.)

    Wolf Kirchmeir, Jan 24, 2005
  6. Wolf Kirchmeir

    measekite Guest

    You just answered your one question. The solution is to buy a Canon
    IP4000 and use Canon inks.

    measekite, Jan 24, 2005
  7. measekite wrote:
    > You just answered your one question. The solution is to buy a Canon
    > IP4000 and use Canon inks.
    >
    > Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

    OK, why an IP4000? Why not an i9900? (If I'm going to have to buy a new
    printer anyhow, as seems likely.)

    Wolf Kirchmeir, Jan 25, 2005
  8. Canon i960 cleaned! (Was: Re: Canon i960: help wth clogged printhead,please)

    Arthur Entlich wrote:
    > Although I have not done tests on Canon inks, if you are using them, I
    > have been told that the mixture I suggest for Epson inkjets works on
    > Canon OEM (their own) inks. You can test it by mixing the ink color in
    > question with a bit of the fluid I recommend, and make sure the ink
    > dissolves into it without any particles developing or any clotting,
    > sticking to the sides of the container or bottom, or floating.

    [...]

    Well, I tried a variation on your suggestion. Figured if the print head
    was fried, I couldn't do any more damage, and if it was merely clogged,
    it would either work or not.

    Last night, I sprayed a bit of Windex onto a foam applicator, and then
    daubed that onto the print head (where the tank's exit hole sits.) Also
    daubed on some iso-propyl alcohol. This morning's nozzle check showed a
    marked improvement, so --

    I sprayed a bit of Windex into the magenta tank, through the opening
    where the tank contacts the print head. Then a cycle of deep cleaning,
    and nozzle test print. Showed an almost perfect test patch, so I did it
    for _all_ the tanks, and the printer is now "nearly new." Did a few test
    prints. There is a slight streaking, which I think will disappear as the
    nozzles clean out some more with further printing. If not, more cleaning
    is in order.

    I suspect that a combination of low ink level plus two or three days
    with the printer turned off, caused clogging. The Windex seems to be
    dissolving that. I do not expect any long term effects, but it's clear
    that frequent printing/cleaning cycles are required to prevent the ink
    from drying out and causing troubles.

    Thanks for everybody's help. I also googled a few phrases, and learned a
    lot of stuff that is _not_ in the manual. Most important: an empty ink
    cartridge can fry the print head, as the ink actually cools the print
    head. So always have plenty of extra full tanks on hand.

    BTW, there is a faint but definite ammonia odour to a fresh print, which
    I noticed when I first got this printer. That should have been be a
    clue. :)

    Wolf Kirchmeir, Jan 25, 2005
  9. Wolf Kirchmeir

    measekite Guest

    I9900 is the very vest. Itis a pure photo printer, and 8 color andit is
    the best. The IP4000 is the best value for anarrow carraige printer.
    It is a duplex printer and has 2 paper feeds and produces excellenent
    results. It depends how large you want to go.

    measekite, Jan 25, 2005
  10. Wolf Kirchmeir

    Dan G Guest

    Re: Canon i960 cleaned! (Was: Re: Canon i960: help wth clogged printhead, please)

    "Wolf Kirchmeir" <> wrote in message
    > Arthur Entlich wrote:
    > > Although I have not done tests on Canon inks, if you are using them, I
    > > have been told that the mixture I suggest for Epson inkjets works on
    > > Canon OEM (their own) inks. You can test it by mixing the ink color in
    > > question with a bit of the fluid I recommend, and make sure the ink
    > > dissolves into it without any particles developing or any clotting,
    > > sticking to the sides of the container or bottom, or floating.

    > [...]
    >
    > Well, I tried a variation on your suggestion. Figured if the print head
    > was fried, I couldn't do any more damage, and if it was merely clogged,
    > it would either work or not.
    >
    > Last night, I sprayed a bit of Windex onto a foam applicator, and then
    > daubed that onto the print head (where the tank's exit hole sits.) Also
    > daubed on some iso-propyl alcohol. This morning's nozzle check showed a
    > marked improvement, so --
    >
    > I sprayed a bit of Windex into the magenta tank, through the opening
    > where the tank contacts the print head. Then a cycle of deep cleaning,
    > and nozzle test print. Showed an almost perfect test patch, so I did it
    > for _all_ the tanks, and the printer is now "nearly new." Did a few test
    > prints. There is a slight streaking, which I think will disappear as the
    > nozzles clean out some more with further printing. If not, more cleaning
    > is in order.
    >
    > I suspect that a combination of low ink level plus two or three days
    > with the printer turned off, caused clogging. The Windex seems to be
    > dissolving that. I do not expect any long term effects, but it's clear
    > that frequent printing/cleaning cycles are required to prevent the ink
    > from drying out and causing troubles.
    >
    > Thanks for everybody's help. I also googled a few phrases, and learned a
    > lot of stuff that is _not_ in the manual. Most important: an empty ink
    > cartridge can fry the print head, as the ink actually cools the print
    > head. So always have plenty of extra full tanks on hand.
    >
    > BTW, there is a faint but definite ammonia odour to a fresh print, which
    > I noticed when I first got this printer. That should have been be a
    > clue. :)

    Just get yourself a cleaning kit and you'll be ready the next time. BTW,
    NEVER leave an ink tank out of the printer for more than a minute or 2.

    http://www.inkjetsaver.com/clean.html

    Dan G, Jan 25, 2005
  11. Re: Canon i960 cleaned! (Was: Re: Canon i960: help wth clogged printhead,please)

    You're welcome.

    I just want to add something to your comments, which are correct.

    The Canon semi-permanent print head can indeed be damaged from running
    inkless. It uses a bunch of very tiny resistors that head the nozzles
    to boil and expel the ink, and indeed the lack of ink can burn them out.

    This is NOT true of Epson heads. They have other issues, but that's not
    one of them. They can develop airlocks in the print head if you leave
    the printer without ink, and dried ink in the head can causes clogging,
    but they don't overheat if there is no ink in the head, because they use
    a cool process to eject the ink. There is a small amount of head
    generated from the piezo movement, but I don't believe it could be
    enough to cause damage.

    Art

    Arthur Entlich, Jan 26, 2005