    Cannot download Spybot or do a spy check because the download fails to
    start. Big dilemma!

    Any advice please?

    Guest, Jan 12, 2005

    Jan Il Guest

    Hi Brownieowl :)

    Try the following and see if it helps:

    Safely Delete the Temporary Internet Files
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

    or......

    Cannot search from IE6 Address Bar

    Check the Registry to see if this file is there. Sometime during removal of
    hijackers or spyware files in the Registry can get corrupted or removed as
    well. If not, try adding this line to this part of the registry.

    (watch for the wrap, it should be all on one line)
    >[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet

    Explorer\URLSearchHooks]"{CFBFAE00-17A6-11D0-99CB-00C04FD64497}"=""

    or.......

    A Single Letter May Be Displayed in the Title Bar
    When you run Windows Explorer or start Internet Explorer, the text in the
    title bar may be displayed as a single letter (for example, an "M" or an
    "E").
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=225123
    or
    http://www.free-web-browsers.com/support/remove-mysearch.shtml

    and........

    Restore default Search functions:

    In order to restore you default Search functions, download and run the
    program below. You will have to redo any customized features you may have
    added afterward.
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/RestoreSearch2.REG

    or....................

    Courtesy of Tony Klein, MS MVP:

    This will restore the Windows defaults for a whole lot of Search related
    registry entries.

    CAUTION: BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST!

    Close IE, copy the bold to Notepad, save as Search.reg (save as 'all files',
    and doubleclick. Answer 'yes' when prompted to add the contents of
    Search.reg to the Registry:

    REGEDIT4 (Watch for the line wrap. Each one should be all on on line.)

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search]
    "SearchAssistant"="http://ie.search.msn.com/{SUB_RFC1766}/srchasst/srchasst.
    htm"
    "CustomizeSearch"="http://ie.search.msn.com/{SUB_RFC1766}/srchasst/srchcust.
    htm"
    "Default_Search_URL"="http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&ar=ies
    earch"

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchUrl]
    ""="http://home.microsoft.com/access/autosearch.asp?p=%s"

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\main]
    "Search Page"="http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&ar=iesearch"
    "Search Bar"="http://search.msn.com/spbasic.htm"

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\URLSearchHooks]
    "{CFBFAE00-17A6-11D0-99CB-00C04FD64497}"=""

    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\URL]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\URL]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\URL\DefaultPre
    fix] @="http://"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\URL\Prefixes]"
    ftp"="ftp://"
    "gopher"="gopher://"
    "home"="http://"
    "mosaic"="http://"
    "www"="http://

    or.............................

    Restore Search:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/RestoreSearch2.REG
    This will restore your default Search functionality. You will, however,
    have to restore any custom setups you may have had before.

    Download the fix - Reset Search:
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/tools/IEFIX.reg
    This will restore your default Search functionality. However, if you had
    any custom adjustments you have made will have to re-select them.

    or.............

    Repairs the corrupted or altered (spyware) HTTP prefixes
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/RepairDefaultPrefix.reg

    If these steps do not resolve your problem, or you need help with the above,
    please post back to this thread with the details and any error messages.

    Hope this helps

    Jan :)
    Smiles are meant to be shared,
    that's why they're so contagious.

    Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
    How to make a good newsgroup post:
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Jan Il, Jan 12, 2005

    Don Varnau Guest

    Hi,
    The fact that Outlook Express is also affected makes this sound like a
    malware problem.

    Try... from Control Panel> Internet Options> Advanced> uncheck "Enable third
    party
    browser extensions."

    Go to Internet Options> General> Accessibility. Uncheck "User style sheets"
    if it's checked.

    If that allows IE to work, download and run CWShredder from
    http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.exe Follow that up with Ad-aware.

    Can you download CWShredder onto a floppy disk or Ad-aware
    http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/ or Spybot onto a CD from another
    computer?

    Or, this article may help.

    Hope this helps,