Cannot type in Search Bar

Discussion in 'Windows XP Internet Explorer' started by Art Dameron, Oct 28, 2009.

  1. Art Dameron

    Art Dameron Guest

    I have Windows XP SP3 and IE 8. I cannot use the search provider button,
    e.g. Google, or Bing, or whichever one is set to default.

    The problem is that as soon as I type a letter into the little search
    provider window, IE freezes/disconnects and up pops a message that reads:
    "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
    sorry for the inconvenience." Why is it doing this? The problem just started
    yesterday.

    I've run two virus checkers, and Micro Trend's Housecall and all is well.
    The only thing I have done recently is download something from The Weather
    Channel. It was a little icon that sat in the lower toolbar and displayed
    the temperature outside. During installation it asked if I wanted to install
    it's toolbar and I said no. Maybe somehow this has interfered with IE? I
    don't know.

    Besides checking for malware I uninstalled IE 8 and went back to IE 7. That
    didn't help. So, I reinstalled IE 8 this morning. Problem still exists.

    Can anyone offer some advice on how to fix this? Thanks.

    Art Dameron, Oct 28, 2009

  2. Art Dameron

    Alan Edwards Guest

    Please try the IE7/IE8 group.
    The recommended newsgroup is microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

    In a proper newsreader:

    If you must use a web interface:
    http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

    ....Alan
    http://dts-l.com/index.htm

    On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 07:07:51 -0400, in
    microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser, "Art Dameron"

    Alan Edwards, Oct 28, 2009

  3. See Alan's reply.

    Tip: There should only be one (1) anti-virus application installed & loading
    at boot. The fact that you have two (2) of them may be causing your
    problem.
    --
    IE7 & 8-specific newsgroup:

    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    www.banthecheck.com

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Oct 28, 2009
  4. Art Dameron

    Art Dameron Guest

    Follow-up: The problem was fixed by clicking on the RESET button at the
    bottom of the Advanced Tab under Internet Options.

    Thanks for the other suggestions.

    Art Dameron, Oct 28, 2009
  5. If you don't get rid of one of those AV apps, you'll continue to have
    problems.

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Oct 29, 2009