Cannot install PC games

Reaction score
Ever since I got my windows XP reinstalled with SP2 (by a technician, due to a sudden disappearance of the CD rom Drive), I can no longer install any PC games. When I insert a PC game CD rom, and install wizard will come up as usual and takes me through all the proceedings, and then it will tell me the game is now installed, but when I click on the icon or the start game button, I always get a windows error message saying "engine.exe has enountered a problem and needs to be closed". It happens to every game, new or old. Although I can successfully install any non-gaming programmes like TextPad or Word for example but not PC games. Does it have something to do with my graphics card? or ZoneAlarm firewall? or other drives in my computer? I am a person with very little knowledge about computers ><, please help, thank you in advance.

Reaction score
i installed it, but the problem stays the same. it seems the game cannot find the video drive?! thanks for the help anyway =). anybody knows what else i can do?

Last edited:
Reaction score
^ could it be that mine got taken out? haha is it that even possible!!? i feel dumb saying it lol....

Reaction score
Start - Run

Type "dxdiag"

Click the "Display" tab

Then run the 3d Diagnostic tests

Also the info on Top left will indicate what hardware you have in (Graphics card)
Info Top right will indicate the drivers your using

From there you can determine if you have a hardware or software problem

Hope that helps dude, it’s a useful little test to know anyway ;)

Reaction score
^ thank you for that. =). however the "Test DirectDraw" button is the only button I have that's activated and press-able. I got this message at the bottom when I pressed the Display tab:

"No problems found.
To test DirectDraw functionality, click the "Test DirectDraw" button above.
Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer."

AGP Texture Acceleration is also Not Available.

Under "Device" I have everything, and under "Drivers" I have everything except for these:
VDD: unknown
DDI Version: unknown

I am guessing I am missing something huh? although I am not sure what...and what is exactly wrong with my computer ><...

Reaction score
Ok, Think VDD is ok - mine says N/A

Now the DDI version relates to direct x, which is strange as you have followed Ian's advice and re-installed that software

The Direct3d function tests your hardware accelerator (Graphics card) the very fact this is not available means something is a miss

Do you have the original driver cd for your graphics card? My first thoughts are to try and re-install your graphics drivers - before you do this though remove your old ones, if your unsure on that let me know I’ll post the operation. (To be extra safe maybe even back up important files too - this is entirely up to you though)

If you don’t have the graphics driver cd - go to the official web site of your graphics card make - most likely ATI or NVIDIA, you will be able to get the latest drivers from there

Ok, let me know how that operation goes - once again fella if they don’t work - i have more tricks up my sleeve that may help!

Cheers

Reaction score
thanks ^ =)

Device:

Name: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip Type: GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC

no unfortunately, I have misplaced the original driver cd. I went to the NVIDIA website and and I think this is what I should download right? http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.89.html

but I don't know how to remove the old one. Will I still be able to run my computer (like go online and do other work and stuff) once I've taken out the old one? I'm afraid of messing up my computer entirely like I did awhile ago back, because I really don't know much about computers, especially anything to do with what's inside the CPU lol.. -_-"

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes that looks like the correct drive, just run that and it will install the new driver over the top - and should then work. It shouldn't effect anything else, but have backups just in case :)

Reaction score
Just for a reference, you can still use normal windows, including IE without graphics drivers; you will also have some sort of VGA support on the motherboard.

How did it go, can ya play games now dude?

Reaction score
BaseLine9 said:
My first thoughts are to try and re-install your graphics drivers - before you do this though remove your old ones, if your unsure on that let me know I’ll post the operation.

Ian Cunningham said:
Yes that looks like the correct drive, just run that and it will install the new driver over the top - and should then work. It shouldn't effect anything else, but have backups just in case :)

on NVIDIA site, it says "Before installing new drivers make sure you uninstall all NVIDIA display drivers from the Windows Control Panel. Browse to the Start Menu > Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and search for "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove."

now I'm confused. you really sure it'll still work if I don't uninstall the old one and keep it there?????

the problem is I don't even see the words "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" or anthing that NVIDIA related in the "Add/Remove Programs".....this is strange...umm..is there any other ways to uninstall my old graphics drive...man I'm starting to think maybe I don't even have one to begin with lol ><

Reaction score
Ahhh, maybe the old drivers were not there (got lost somehow, the usual random pc software stuff!)

As Ian says give it a go and install the drivers, it should work

Hope it goes well

Reaction score
boy do I feel embarrassed ><. The reason why this didn't work is because at the time after I got my windows reinstalled, it kept on crashing for a while, so I changed the Hardware acceleration from Full to None, and never changed it back. but I've forgotten about it, until I installed the NVIDIA graphics driver today and some message prompted me and told me to go to the Display Properties, click on Advance and then the Toubleshoot tab. but I think I was in need to install new graphics driver anyway. now the games run great ^^. thanks Ian Cunningham and BaseLine9 for suggesting what I should do, especially BaseLine9, you've been such a great help, and I learned some stuff. oh and i'm not a dude lol. thanks again guys =)

Reaction score
lostkate said:
oh and I’m not a dude lol. thanks again guys =)

Apologies on that, i call it everyone out of habit

Accidentally called it the misuses before too! whopps!

Always happy to help, support is my job and life!

Ask a Question