Cannot download files, open file attachments, open zip files, WinX

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by Guest, Apr 13, 2006.

    Hi, I have WinXP home edition, SP2 is installed, Windows One Care installed.
    I can't download files, open attachments or unzip anything.
    At first I noticed that I can't open file attachments in Outlook Express.
    Then I couldn't download a game patch from a trusted web site. I downloaded
    the patch to my second PC and copied it onto a CD, then copied it to my
    desktop of the first PC. It's on the desktop, but it won't unzip. A dialog
    box states that it has been blocked, that I can go to the properties of the
    file and check the unblock box, but there is nowhere to check. I even tried
    to download winzip, that program won't download either. When I try to dowload
    something, it looks like it's downloading. But when it's all finished, the
    files are nowhere on my PC.
    This operating system seems to have too much control over what I want to do.
    I'm no expert, but I'm not a novice either. Give me back DOS! LOL! :)
    I tried changing my internet zone. I tried temporarily disabling the
    firewall, antivirus, and spyware.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Joe

    Guest, Apr 13, 2006

    Elendil Guest

    Have you chosen where you want the files to download? By default I believe
    the download location for IE (Internet Explorer) and OE (Outlook Express) is
    in Documents and Settings Temp folder. If you haven't told OE or IE where to
    download they normally download your items into that folder. Also, a little
    side note: Windows OneCare is JUNK (no offense to those who like it). If
    you're paying for it please do yourself a favor and remove that piece of
    useless trash. Please go to the Downloads page of my website:
    www.stopmalware.tk and look for the anti-virus section. There, you will see
    four decent and FREE anti-virus programs. All of them are much better then
    Windows OneCare. I recommend AVG Free Edition or AntiVir.

    Elendil, Apr 14, 2006

    Re: Cannot download files, open file attachments, open zip files,

    When ever I try to download something it asks where to save it, and I save it
    to the desktop, but it never shows up after it appears to download. I've also
    tried saving it to a temp file that I created and it doesn't show up there
    either. Sometimes when I try downloading something, IE has a yellow bar
    across the tool bar area warning and asking to OK the download. Even after I
    OK that , the file doesn't download. Again, it appears to download, but it is
    nowhere on my PC.
    What do you think about Win XP blocking me from opening up zip files? XP
    should at least warn me and give me the ultimate decision, but not outright
    block what I want to do. I'm getting real frustrated here. An OS should not
    have that much control!
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks for your quick response!

    Guest, Apr 14, 2006
  4. Re: Cannot download files, open file attachments, open zip files,

    This may be the "cost" of using Windows OneCare. Uninstall it, reboot, see
    if that fixes your problems. It may be blocking, and not telling you that.
    The program is that poorly written. Go with AVG Free - seems to work great,
    auto-updates, and is a low load on the system.

    Randy

    Randy Reimers, Apr 14, 2006

    Re: Cannot download files, open file attachments, open zip files,

    Ah! you're one of many that have the same opinion of One Care! Maybe I should
    uninstall it! I'll try that before I do anything drastic, (like set windows
    to it's original state).
    I'll get back to you all, and thanks a lot for the help

    Guest, Apr 14, 2006

    Thota Umesh Guest

    OneCare has firewall a very good one, pls check the firewall settings
    resulting in ur system actions!.

    Thota Umesh, Apr 16, 2006