Cannot disable wireless network adapter!

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Bill, Jun 8, 2005.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    I have a six week old Dell Inspiron 9300 runing XP Pro SP2. It has both
    an internal 100 mbs network card and an internal 802.11 a/b/g wireless
    adapter. Most of the time I use the wireless adapter and have the wired
    adapter disabled. Sometimes I disable the wireless adapter and enable
    the wired adapter when I have to copy very large files. The last time I
    did this was several weeks ago.

    Now, when I right click the wireless adapter and choose Disable I get
    an error message, "It is not possible to disable the connection at this
    time. This connection may be using one or more protocols that do not
    support Plug-and-Play, or it may have been initiated by another user or
    the system account."

    I have no idea what has changed to cause this. I can disable the
    wireless adapter in Device Manager but that is a nuisance. How can I
    fix this problem so I can once again disable the wireless adapter?

    Thanks,
    --
    _Bill_

    Bill, Jun 8, 2005

  2. Bill

    Matt Gibson Guest

    Isn't there a hardware switch on the laptop itself that you can use to shut
    off the wireless adapter? I'd be suprised if there wasn't.

    Matt Gibson - GSEC

    Matt Gibson, Jun 8, 2005

  3. Bill

    BigJim Guest

    you may have to reinstall the drivers. BTW look on the hard drive for a
    folder called , Drivers,
    copy it to a cdr and save it put it in a safe place. These are the drivers
    for your specific machine.
    It makes it so easy to reinstall everything. The drivers are all unzipped.
    Windows XP may not have
    all of them, it has some of them. Like I upgraded to xp pro on my inspiron
    1100, it didn't have the video drivers, so when xp was finished installing I
    put the driver disk in the cd rom drive. I then went to device manager, open
    the display adapters and told it to upgrade the drivers. Pointed it at the
    driver disk and bang, the video was back.

    BigJim, Jun 8, 2005
  4. Bill

    John Shaw Guest

    "Matt Gibson" <> wrote in message
    > Isn't there a hardware switch on the laptop itself that you can use to
    > shut off the wireless adapter? I'd be suprised if there wasn't.
    >
    > Matt Gibson - GSEC

    True, many provide a switch, some are software based through a seperate
    utility -- I've encountered this issue with my home system but never had
    the time or the inclination to troubleshoot as it's a USB adapter and
    unplugging it is as easy as sitting up in my seat and reaching. I'd be
    interested in a solution as well... but I recall being able to disable the
    adapter at some point in time... perhaps a windows update or some other
    software made a change or is preventing the ability to disable the wireless
    adapter.

    It seems in this case, since Bill can still disable his wired adapter, that
    it is an issue specific to a wireless adapter, and it's a problem worth
    solving since some laptops do not have a hard switch to disable it. I'd be
    interested to know if there is a software utility that came with his laptop
    that disables the adapter, and if in fact that works or not... or perhaps
    this is grasping at straws... :\

    John Shaw, Jun 9, 2005
  5. Assuming you have both an Ethernet port and a built in Wi-Fi adaptor of some
    sort, under Network Connections, it will list the different ways your
    computer can connect to the internet.

    These are usually "Local Area Network" for a Wired connection and "Wireless
    Network Connection" for a wireless connection. If you want to disable an
    adaptor, just disable the respective connection. It disables the connection
    by disabling the adaptor.

    --
    Regards,

    Lawrence Wong

    Lawrence A. Wong, Jun 9, 2005
  6. Bill

    Guest Guest

    "Jarib" wrote:

    > I am having he same issue on my Dell Inspiron. The only problem is that
    > the automatic network repair will not work since part of this process is
    > disabling the adaptor. Has anyone had any luck figuring this out?
    >

    > --
    > Jarib

    I also cannot disable my new Lenovo PC's wireless adapter and I need to to
    test some AP gear

    Guest, Sep 27, 2006
  7. Bill

    Yves Leclerc Guest

    This "disable" process should only be for a "short-time" in order for the XP
    file to be reset. You will then have the wireless card re-enabled as if
    nothing happened.

    You could always locate and try Winsockxpfix?

    --
    ---

    Y.

    Yves Leclerc, Sep 28, 2006
  8. Bill

    Guest Guest

    Thanks, Yyves, but I am not familiar w/ Winsockxpfix. I am unable to
    disable the wireless connection even briefly and get the following message:

    It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. The connection
    may be
    using one or more protocols that do not support Plug-and-Play, or it may
    have been
    initiated by another user or the system account.

    There is only one user on the machine as far as I know and I don't know what
    to do to diable this connection.
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks

    Guest, Sep 28, 2006