Cannot Delete Registry Keys

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Registry Archive' started by Bill Hawk, Apr 2, 2005.

  1. Bill Hawk

    Bill Hawk Guest

    I am having problems installing a new HP multifunction printer.

    The problem seems to be "left over" registry entries from an old HP
    printer, under

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\Vid_03f0&Pid_0101

    for an old scanner, and possibly

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\Vid_0000&Pid_0000

    for who knows what.

    But, when I try to delete these keys, even as adminstrator in safe mode,
    I am told "Cannot delete <foo>: Error while deleting key."

    I have tried a variety of spyware sweeps, registry fixes, etc.

    Any suggestions as to why I would be unable to delete the keys, and what
    I could change to allow their removal?

    TIA.

    Bill Hawk, Apr 2, 2005

  2. Bill Hawk

    Dave Patrick Guest

    You only need to be concerned with CurrentControlSet. Looking in;
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select
    you'll find the D_Word values for
    "Current"=dword:00000001
    "Default"=dword:00000001
    "Failed"=dword:00000000
    "LastKnownGood"=dword:00000002

    CurrentControlSet is volatile and will always be an image (at boot) of
    what's defined in ControlSetx where x = the value of "Current"

    Choosing last known good boots the system with the control set that last
    successfully booted your system. Control sets contain system configuration
    information such as device drivers and services.

    To display hidden devices, non-Plug and Play devices, and devices not
    attached to the computer (commonly known as "ghosted" or "phantom" devices)
    Save the following two lines as a file then execute.

    --------------------------setdev.bat---------------------
    set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
    start devmgmt.msc

    Then, View|Show Hidden Devices to remove or reconfigure these devices. Do
    not edit the registry.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Dave Patrick, Apr 2, 2005

  3. Bill Hawk

    Bill Hawk Guest

    E'er sunset on the day of dying, Dave Patrick wrote:

    > To display hidden devices, non-Plug and Play devices, and devices not
    > attached to the computer (commonly known as "ghosted" or "phantom"
    > devices) Save the following two lines as a file then execute.
    >
    > --------------------------setdev.bat---------------------
    > set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
    > start devmgmt.msc
    >
    > Then, View|Show Hidden Devices to remove or reconfigure these devices.
    > Do not edit the registry.

    How about "unknown" (Vid_0000) devices? Is there a reason to get rid of
    those? Or not to?

    Thanks.

    Bill Hawk, Apr 3, 2005
  4. Bill Hawk

    Dave Patrick Guest

    If it's listed as unknown then it probably isn't doing you any good.

    Dave Patrick, Apr 3, 2005