Cannot create a new partition on my hard drive through Logical Disk Manager

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000' started by bidalah@yahoo.com, Nov 30, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello all,

    I am simply trying to create a new 20 gig partition on my 160gb hard
    drive. There is already a single 15 gig partition on the disk in which
    I am running Windows 2000. I have tried creating both primary and
    extended partitions ( I only need extended). Every time I get the same
    error message:

    "An internal error has occurred. The Logical Disk Manager service may
    have become unstable. Please close the Disk Management snapin window
    and restart the Logical Disk manager or reboot the machine".

    To date I have:

    --Edited the registry to support 48 LBA
    --Stopped and restarted both the Logical Disk management service and
    the whole computer several times
    --Confirmed that my motherboard is set to use 48 LBA
    --Updated the disk driver (with a minor update that should not have
    mattered to this issue)

    None of these have had any impact. I just don't know what else to try.
    There doesn't seem to be any documentation on the microsoft site about
    this issue (though it is hard to tell since there is no error code or
    number to look up). There is no entry made in the system error log
    either.

    Has anyone seen this error before? Please let me know.

    , Nov 30, 2006

  2. <> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I am simply trying to create a new 20 gig partition on my 160gb hard
    > drive. There is already a single 15 gig partition on the disk in which
    > I am running Windows 2000. I have tried creating both primary and
    > extended partitions ( I only need extended). Every time I get the same
    > error message:
    >
    > "An internal error has occurred. The Logical Disk Manager service may
    > have become unstable. Please close the Disk Management snapin window
    > and restart the Logical Disk manager or reboot the machine".
    >
    > To date I have:
    >
    > --Edited the registry to support 48 LBA
    > --Stopped and restarted both the Logical Disk management service and
    > the whole computer several times
    > --Confirmed that my motherboard is set to use 48 LBA
    > --Updated the disk driver (with a minor update that should not have
    > mattered to this issue)
    >
    > None of these have had any impact. I just don't know what else to try.
    > There doesn't seem to be any documentation on the microsoft site about
    > this issue (though it is hard to tell since there is no error code or
    > number to look up). There is no entry made in the system error log
    > either.
    >
    > Has anyone seen this error before? Please let me know.

    Instead of hacking the registry to support large disks, you should
    install SP4. See here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098

    I suspect that if your current partition was created without 48-bit
    LBA then Windows won't let you create new partitions beyond
    the 130 MByte limit. If so then you need to back up your current
    installation before repartitioning the disk.

    Pegasus \(MVP\), Dec 1, 2006

    Hi Pegasus,

    Thanks for responding. I guess I should have mentioned in my first
    entry, that I have SP4 installed, though the EnableBigLba entry in the
    registry wasn't there before I manually entered it.

    It's true that the primary partition was created without 48LBA in
    windows but then, how else could it have been created? I needed the
    partition to load windows before I could hack the registry or install
    SP4. 48LBA was enabled by default on the motherboard bios.

    My primary partition is 15gig. I am trying to created a new 20gig
    extended partition. That still puts me way below the 130gig limit if
    48LBA were the problem. At this point I would satisfied with 130 gig.
    I've been stuck at 15 gig for weeks now!

    Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > I am simply trying to create a new 20 gig partition on my 160gb hard
    > > drive. There is already a single 15 gig partition on the disk in which
    > > I am running Windows 2000. I have tried creating both primary and
    > > extended partitions ( I only need extended). Every time I get the same
    > > error message:
    > >
    > > "An internal error has occurred. The Logical Disk Manager service may
    > > have become unstable. Please close the Disk Management snapin window
    > > and restart the Logical Disk manager or reboot the machine".
    > >
    > > To date I have:
    > >
    > > --Edited the registry to support 48 LBA
    > > --Stopped and restarted both the Logical Disk management service and
    > > the whole computer several times
    > > --Confirmed that my motherboard is set to use 48 LBA
    > > --Updated the disk driver (with a minor update that should not have
    > > mattered to this issue)
    > >
    > > None of these have had any impact. I just don't know what else to try.
    > > There doesn't seem to be any documentation on the microsoft site about
    > > this issue (though it is hard to tell since there is no error code or
    > > number to look up). There is no entry made in the system error log
    > > either.
    > >
    > > Has anyone seen this error before? Please let me know.
    > >

    > Instead of hacking the registry to support large disks, you should
    > install SP4. See here:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098
    >
    > I suspect that if your current partition was created without 48-bit
    > LBA then Windows won't let you create new partitions beyond
    > the 130 MByte limit. If so then you need to back up your current
    > installation before repartitioning the disk.

    , Dec 1, 2006
  4. I have come across some products such as snapshot.exe
    (a tool to save/restore whole partitions) that create partition
    stuctures at sizes that differ from the real size, without giving
    me the option of making use of the full disk capacity. To
    restore the disk to its full potential I had to do this:
    1. Install the disk as a slave disk in some other machine.
    1. Copy the system partition to another disk.
    2. Repartition the disk.
    3. Restore the system partition.

    Make sure to include system and hidden files in Steps 2 and 4.

    Pegasus \(MVP\), Dec 1, 2006