Cannot copy VTS_01_0.BUP

Reaction score
When copying homemade DVDs of home movies to my hard drive, I keep getting the error, "Cannot copy VTS_01_0: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable." This only happened when trying to copy the file "VTS_01_0.BUP". All other files on the DVD copied without problem.

This happened on three different DVDs of different movies, but got the same error for the file "VTS_01_0.BUP". I tried three different computers & got the same error. All computers MS Windows.

Also, I was able to copy a few other DVDs completely without error. However, all three DVDs that I could not copy the “VTS_01_0.BUP” file were labeled “Pinnacle Systems DVD”. I’m guessing this was the system that transferred the video to DVD.

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Just had a look at google and a few things pop up about it.
Have you looked at google?

Reaction score
I did search Google. What some of the posts indicate is that a *.bup file is basically a backup of *.Ifo. A few posts recommended creating a new *.bup from the *.ifo file (make a copy of the *ifo & change the extension to *.bup). The discussions seem anecdotal & none of the posts gave me a high degree of confidence that a *.bup is definitely a copy of the *.ifo. Can anyone verify this with certainty? When I checked the files on the DVDs, they are the same file size so that gives me some confidence in the comments. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Will the dvd run without this VTS_01_0.BUP file? Can you just disregard this file and try running the dvd?

Reaction score
The video runs on my hard drive, but the index selection shown in the beginning does not run the same from my hard drive as it does when running from the DVD player. I'm not sure if that's related to the missing VTS_01_0.BUP file or just an issue of running video from a hard drive as compared to running from a DVD drive. I have not tried to burn a new DVD from the files on my hard drive that I transferred over from the old DVD to see if all the files are present to form a new, properly functioning DVD. However, even if this works, I'm still curious as to what the VTS_01_0.BUP file actually is & if it serves some important purpose that may be needed in the future.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here’s a follow up on this issue.

VTS_01_0.IFO and VTS_01_0.BUP both display exactly the same size in a check using right-click => properties for these files.

Based on a suggestion from a Google search on this issue, I made a copy of the VTS_01_0.IFO file and changed the extension to *.BUP to create a new VTS_01_0.BUP. I then burned a new DVD with all the files for this video from my hard drive including the newly created VTS_01_0.BUP. The new DVD seemed to work fine in my DVD player. Although I did not notice any difference, I do not know for sure if the new DVD works exactly the same as the original.

In addition, I was subsequently able to successfully copy all files off the new DVD onto my hard drive with no problem.

Incidentally, the VIDEO_TS.IFO and the VIDEO_TS.BUP also both display exactly the same size using right-click => properties for these files. I suspect the same procedure could be used if the VIDEO_TS.BUP file was corrupt.

Last edited:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Sounds kind of like an attempt to bypass DRM discs to me. Generally, I have not seen any issues with disc-to-disc copies, as it is just a block for block copy. Unless you are using a different sized DVD disc than the source, this is the only reason I can think for a failed file copy. Else, a damaged source disc.

Ask a Question