    copy any of the remaining files - so I stopped the install. i then
    successfully installed w98 and tried upgrading to w2k - same problem???
    computer has 10gb hard drive, 128 meg memory

    Guest, Oct 6, 2005

  2. "happy computer" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a 5 yr/ old Dell Dimension that was running ME. I an trying to

    upgrade
    > to W2K. I reformatted the drive and then attempted to boot from W2KPro

    CD.
    > Cannot boot from CD and I can;t get into BIOS to change boot sequence. I
    > then ran the W2k set up disks and was able to start the install process

    from
    > CD. Goes through a good percent of the install and them comes up with
    > message that it cannot copy certain files. From taht point on - it can;t
    > copy any of the remaining files - so I stopped the install. i then
    > successfully installed w98 and tried upgrading to w2k - same problem???
    > computer has 10gb hard drive, 128 meg memory

    Installing Win98 first in order to upgrade to Win2000 seems a
    backwards step and would give you an inferior system.

    I suspect an incompatibility between your CD drive and your
    Win2000 CD. You could try this:

    1. Boot the machine with a Win98 boot diskette
    (www.bootdisk.com).
    2. Run fdisk, then format in order to create a partition
    of sufficient size for Win2000.
    3. Run this command:
    xcopy d:\*.* c:\ /s /e /h
    in order to copy the CD to your hard disk. Is the copy
    process successful?
    4. If yes, type these commands:
    c:
    cd \i386
    winnt
    5. After installing Win2000, convert drive C: to NTFS if desired.

    Pegasus \(MVP\), Oct 6, 2005

    Sid Knee Guest

    happy computer wrote:

    > I have a 5 yr/ old Dell Dimension that was running ME. I an trying to upgrade
    > to W2K. I reformatted the drive and then attempted to boot from W2KPro CD.
    > Cannot boot from CD and I can;t get into BIOS to change boot sequence. I
    > then ran the W2k set up disks and was able to start the install process from
    > CD. Goes through a good percent of the install and them comes up with
    > message that it cannot copy certain files. From taht point on - it can;t
    > copy any of the remaining files - so I stopped the install. i then
    > successfully installed w98 and tried upgrading to w2k - same problem???
    > computer has 10gb hard drive, 128 meg memory

    Pegaus's suggestion is probably your best bet. You could also try what
    worked for me: When it trips up, hold the enter-key down (enter = retry)
    to give it repeating inputs until it gets going again.

    Sid Knee, Oct 6, 2005

    Dave Patrick Guest

    Cross-post when necessary, but never multi-post. Cross-posting is when you
    include two or more groups in the "Newsgroups:" section. In this scenario
    the message and all responses are seen in all groups that the message was
    cross-posted to. In other words any replies will automatically propagate to
    the other newsgroup posts.

    Multi-posting is when you post the same message to two or more groups
    individually. In this scenario the message is seen in the groups it is
    posted to, but the responses are only seen attached to the message (unless
    you cross-post the reply) in which the response was made. So those that
    frequent these groups then need to deal with or re-read the posts. It may
    seem like a small thing to keep track of. But some of us actively traverse
    50 or more groups. The poster also then must search out all of the posts to
    see if there was a response.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional