Cannot copy archive

Mark H

I want to back up my entire My Documents folder, which has a folder called
Outlook. The Outlook folder has two .pst files- Outlook Backup.pst and
Archive.pst. The copying of My Documents works fine until it comes to the
..pst files when it produces the well known pessage
"Cannot copy archive. The process cannot access the file because
another process has locked a portion of the file."

I have no other processes on. I have to have Windows Explorer open to do
the copy command from the hard drive to my memory stick, which has plenty of
space on it.
How do I get the copy command to copy the archive.pst file?
Using Winzip doesn't get around the problem. And I would rather Winzip My
Documents. But, of course, can't.

I am processing Outlook 2003.

Chris

Reboot the machine and try again?
If that still doesn't work boot into safe mode and try again.

Mark H

How do I reboot in safemode.
What am I accomplishing in safe mode? The implication is every time I want
to back up My Documents including Outlook .pst files I have to be insafe
mode. That is not a very good answer.

DL

You cannot backup files that are in use, which applies to outlook data files
the same as any other data files.
Generally if you close Outlook you can backup these files, but having said
that you may have third party tools installed that are accessing these
files, in which case the backup will fail.
Only you can know what you have installed.
Rebooting the PC into Safe Mode, usually prevents third party tools loading

Kathleen Orland

Close Outlook and ensure in the task manager that Outlook.exe is not
running. Then try.

Joined
Oct 7, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Outlook back up error fixed

Thanx Kathleen, that was the fix....In task manager there may be two Outlook files open in task manager, your window promting you to run the back up and the program itself.

I shut one down then my back up worked!

Kathleen Orland said:
Close Outlook and ensure in the task manager that Outlook.exe is not
running. Then try.

"Kathleen Orland"
Kathleen Orland said:
news:[email protected]...