Canan s750 head cleaning, burnt head?

Discussion in 'Printers' started by Brian, Nov 18, 2004.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Hello,

    My Canon s750 has been giving me trouble. It stopped printing black,
    but my black tank is about 1/2 full. I figured it was a clogged head,
    and I've tried multiple deep cleaning cycles, soaking in alcohol, and I
    just tried a cleaning kit from inkjetsaver.com.

    None of those things helped, and while I was running the last cleaning I
    began to smell burning from the printer. I pulled out the head and it
    was very hot, bit there was no smoke.

    Does anyone have any suggestions on reviving it? Did I just burn out
    the head on the last cleaning?

    Thanks.
     
    Brian, Nov 18, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Brian

    PC Medic Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    news:it8nd.2829$...
    > Hello,
    >
    > My Canon s750 has been giving me trouble. It stopped printing black, but
    > my black tank is about 1/2 full. I figured it was a clogged head, and
    > I've tried multiple deep cleaning cycles, soaking in alcohol, and I just
    > tried a cleaning kit from inkjetsaver.com.
    >
    > None of those things helped, and while I was running the last cleaning I
    > began to smell burning from the printer. I pulled out the head and it was
    > very hot, bit there was no smoke.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions on reviving it? Did I just burn out the
    > head on the last cleaning?
    >


    Ink passing through the nozzles also helps maintain an acceptable head temp
    while in operation. IF you were to do many cleanings in a row with a clogged
    head, I suppose it could get hot and smell, but I wonder if something was
    not damaged in the alcohol bath.
    In either case, I dare say it is history.

    Considering the cost of diagnostics and a new head if that is the problem,
    my recommendation (if in the U.S. anyway) is call Canon and take advantage
    of the Loyalty Program. I picked up my iP4000 for just over $130 shipped
    next day to my door. A new printer, better resolution and a new warranty.
    That is if you want to stick with Canon any way.
     
    PC Medic, Nov 19, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Re: Canon s750 head cleaning, burnt head?

    PC Medic wrote:
    > "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > news:it8nd.2829$...
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>My Canon s750 has been giving me trouble. It stopped printing black, but
    >>my black tank is about 1/2 full. I figured it was a clogged head, and
    >>I've tried multiple deep cleaning cycles, soaking in alcohol, and I just
    >>tried a cleaning kit from inkjetsaver.com.
    >>
    >>None of those things helped, and while I was running the last cleaning I
    >>began to smell burning from the printer. I pulled out the head and it was
    >>very hot, bit there was no smoke.
    >>
    >>Does anyone have any suggestions on reviving it? Did I just burn out the
    >>head on the last cleaning?
    >>

    >
    > Ink passing through the nozzles also helps maintain an acceptable head temp
    > while in operation. IF you were to do many cleanings in a row with a clogged
    > head, I suppose it could get hot and smell, but I wonder if something was
    > not damaged in the alcohol bath.
    > In either case, I dare say it is history.
    >
    > Considering the cost of diagnostics and a new head if that is the problem,
    > my recommendation (if in the U.S. anyway) is call Canon and take advantage
    > of the Loyalty Program. I picked up my iP4000 for just over $130 shipped
    > next day to my door. A new printer, better resolution and a new warranty.
    > That is if you want to stick with Canon any way.
    >


    CanAn, man, how did I miss that spelling error...

    I originally went with the Canon because of the separate head and ink
    tanks, but now I've found out that actually getting a new head isn't
    really worth it.

    I'm now thinking that the HP model of replacing the heads with the
    cartridge is the way to go. I guess you can always buy a refill kit and
    get a little more life out of those carts?

    Any advice on a multifunction device? Faxing from home would be nice.
     
    Brian, Nov 19, 2004
    #3
  4. Brian

    Bill Guest

    Re: Canon s750 head cleaning, burnt head?

    Brian wrote:

    >I originally went with the Canon because of the separate head and ink
    >tanks, but now I've found out that actually getting a new head isn't
    >really worth it.
    >
    >I'm now thinking that the HP model of replacing the heads with the
    >cartridge is the way to go.


    That's why I switched back to HP recently. I've been an HP user for
    years, but decided to give the Canon i850 a try last year when I wanted
    to upgrade to a printer with better photo output. A scant 4000 pages
    over 16 months, and the printhead failed. At just over $80 for a new
    head, it wasn't worth it to me.

    So I went looking for info on a new printer again, and after much
    reading and hands-on testing, I decided the best way to go was with the
    HP Deskjet 6540. It lacks photo card slots, but then I didn't want them
    as I usually edit my photos prior to printing anyway. The 6540 has
    similar ink usage and costs as the Canon, has slightly better photo
    output, and no more printhead issues.

    > I guess you can always buy a refill kit and
    >get a little more life out of those carts?


    Yes, I believe so. I understand the carts are good for 8-10 refills
    before the heads burn out. But just pop in a new cartridge and you're
    working with a brand new head again.

    >Any advice on a multifunction device? Faxing from home would be nice.


    I generally don't care for all in one devices, so I can't comment.
     
    Bill, Nov 19, 2004
    #4
  5. Brian

    mpx Guest

    Re: Canon s750 head cleaning, burnt head?

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    news:vgfnd.3898$...

    > I'm now thinking that the HP model of replacing the heads with the
    > cartridge is the way to go.


    Actually for a company it's the wrong way to go. Having separate tanks and
    head is the only way to differentiate products without creating logistical
    nightmare of having to sell hundreds of cartridges. There are two parameters
    you want to differentiate, and both of them have to be done by having
    different head:
    - speed (head with more nozzles)
    - quality (head with smaller droplets, or with more colors)

    HP home printers are very limited in parameter range, and this is because of
    using the same set of cartridges. They don't differ in printing speed too
    much (are slower than canons especially in color), and are obsolete - they
    still use 4 pl droplets. I guess when you sell so many pritheads they have
    to be cheap :-(

    Even HP knows it's better to have separate head and tanks and separate tanks
    for each color. But it keeps this superior design for more expansive
    printers.

    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF25a/18972-236251-236261-24728-f51-411179.html
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF25a/18972-236251-236261-33100-f51-33103.html

    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/product_pdfs/411179.pdf

    "Choose HP's most cost-effective color printer for
    general office use. Save money initially and over time,
    with a low purchase price and four individual
    high-capacity replacement ink cartridges that reduce
    intervention and deliver consistent, outstanding print
    quality and lowest cost-per-page. Each of the four ink
    cartridges holds a single color, so when a cartridge
    runs out, replace only that color, eliminating waste.
    Four separate, long-lasting printheads are another
    important element of the economical design-you don't
    throw away a functional printhead when replacing an
    empty cartridge."

    > I guess you can always buy a refill kit and
    > get a little more life out of those carts?


    But it's not as easy as in case of Canon, where you just pop 3-rd party
    cartridge instead of original, for 1/5 the price. In Hp you either toy with
    syringes, smear your hands with ink, deal with ink flowing out of the
    cartrigde, and have a problem with resetting printer settings - as hp
    printers have protections against refillers built in. Or you buy refilled
    cartridge, which is unfortunately expansive - costs 1/2 of original
    cartridge price.

    I wouldn't count on on HP reliability too much. I used them in the past and
    had a lot of problems with paper tray - in all models. Like taking multiple
    sheets at once. Over time paper trays started working worse, at the end it
    only accepted 1 sheet of paper at once. I guess it's kind of an planned
    obsolescence on HP's part, as even Lexmark printers have very good and
    reliable paper handling mechanism.
     
    mpx, Nov 20, 2004
    #5
  6. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Re: Canon s750 head cleaning, burnt head?

    Thanks for your great insight into this.

    OK, so this leaves me in this position:
    I have a canon s750 with a burnt out print head. I haven't been able to
    find a new print head for sale anywhere, but I hear they are expensive.
    All of the logic behind the separate print head makes sense, and it's
    the reason I went with Canon in the first place. However, given the
    extreme cost for fixing it, I'm not sure it's worth it.

    So this brings up the question: Did my print head fail abnormally? I
    had been using cheap replacement ink carts, and only print a few pages a
    month. If I had bought better quality ink, would the head not have failed?

    I'm stuck here now trying to figure out if I should buy a new printer
    (I'm intrigued by the multifunction devices), or keep spending money
    trying to fix the one I have.


    mpx wrote:
    > "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > news:vgfnd.3898$...
    >
    >>I'm now thinking that the HP model of replacing the heads with the
    >>cartridge is the way to go.

    >
    > Actually for a company it's the wrong way to go. Having separate tanks and
    > head is the only way to differentiate products without creating logistical
    > nightmare of having to sell hundreds of cartridges. There are two parameters
    > you want to differentiate, and both of them have to be done by having
    > different head:
    > - speed (head with more nozzles)
    > - quality (head with smaller droplets, or with more colors)
    >
    > HP home printers are very limited in parameter range, and this is because of
    > using the same set of cartridges. They don't differ in printing speed too
    > much (are slower than canons especially in color), and are obsolete - they
    > still use 4 pl droplets. I guess when you sell so many pritheads they have
    > to be cheap :-(
    >
    > Even HP knows it's better to have separate head and tanks and separate tanks
    > for each color. But it keeps this superior design for more expansive
    > printers.
    >
    > http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF25a/18972-236251-236261-24728-f51-411179.html
    > http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF25a/18972-236251-236261-33100-f51-33103.html
    >
    > http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/product_pdfs/411179.pdf
    >
    > "Choose HP's most cost-effective color printer for
    > general office use. Save money initially and over time,
    > with a low purchase price and four individual
    > high-capacity replacement ink cartridges that reduce
    > intervention and deliver consistent, outstanding print
    > quality and lowest cost-per-page. Each of the four ink
    > cartridges holds a single color, so when a cartridge
    > runs out, replace only that color, eliminating waste.
    > Four separate, long-lasting printheads are another
    > important element of the economical design-you don't
    > throw away a functional printhead when replacing an
    > empty cartridge."
    >
    >
    >> I guess you can always buy a refill kit and
    >>get a little more life out of those carts?

    >
    >
    > But it's not as easy as in case of Canon, where you just pop 3-rd party
    > cartridge instead of original, for 1/5 the price. In Hp you either toy with
    > syringes, smear your hands with ink, deal with ink flowing out of the
    > cartrigde, and have a problem with resetting printer settings - as hp
    > printers have protections against refillers built in. Or you buy refilled
    > cartridge, which is unfortunately expansive - costs 1/2 of original
    > cartridge price.
    >
    > I wouldn't count on on HP reliability too much. I used them in the past and
    > had a lot of problems with paper tray - in all models. Like taking multiple
    > sheets at once. Over time paper trays started working worse, at the end it
    > only accepted 1 sheet of paper at once. I guess it's kind of an planned
    > obsolescence on HP's part, as even Lexmark printers have very good and
    > reliable paper handling mechanism.
     
    Brian, Nov 20, 2004
    #6
  7. Brian

    Bill Guest

    Re: Canon s750 head cleaning, burnt head?

    mpx wrote:

    >HP home printers are very limited in parameter range, and this is because of
    >using the same set of cartridges. They don't differ in printing speed too
    >much (are slower than canons especially in color),


    Actually, different models do produce different results.

    For instance, the HP 5740 and 6540 both use the same cartridges, however
    the 6540 is noticeably faster.

    > and are obsolete - they still use 4 pl droplets.


    My printer cartridges actually use 5pl droplets for colour, and 15pl
    droplets for black.

    But even with the bigger droplets, the colour rendition and tones are
    surprisingly good using just four colours - it's a match to my old Canon
    i850 printer. Using six colours is even better.

    With relatively large black droplets, you'd think small text would be
    poor, but I've compared the same text side by side, and it's sharper
    than the Canon which uses droplets 1/3 the size.

    >Even HP knows it's better to have separate head and tanks and separate tanks
    >for each color. But it keeps this superior design for more expansive
    >printers.


    That's just marketing hype to keep up with the competition, like always.

    The business inkjets have lower quality colour printing, and photos
    while still pretty good, are not the equal of a decent photo printer
    from any of the other brands. Even HP's own printers produce better
    output.

    But then they're not designed for photos. They're designed for office
    use with higher page yields per cartridge along with higher prices. If
    you compare costs, the per page is no better. The only advantage is less
    frequent cartridge changes because the ink volumes are larger.

    >> I guess you can always buy a refill kit and
    >> get a little more life out of those carts?

    >
    >But it's not as easy as in case of Canon, where you just pop 3-rd party
    >cartridge instead of original, for 1/5 the price.


    And 1/5 the quality. I've yet to find a third-party ink tank supplier
    that uses equally good quality ink for 1/5 the price.

    I've been able to find good bulk ink and refill. But I can't get good
    cartridges for that price. About half price maybe, but not 1/5.

    > In Hp you either toy with
    >syringes, smear your hands with ink, deal with ink flowing out of the
    >cartrigde,


    If you have those problems, you shouldn't be refilling any brand of ink
    cartridge...nor doing anything else that requires some coordination. :)

    >I wouldn't count on on HP reliability too much. I used them in the past and
    >had a lot of problems with paper tray - in all models. Like taking multiple
    >sheets at once. Over time paper trays started working worse, at the end it
    >only accepted 1 sheet of paper at once. I guess it's kind of an planned
    >obsolescence on HP's part, as even Lexmark printers have very good and
    >reliable paper handling mechanism.


    I guess it's all relative.

    I've used plenty of HP inkjet and laser printers, and none have given
    any paper handling issues due to wear or design. In fact, my parents
    still use an ancient HP Deskjet 520 printer I gave them a long time ago.
    It sat idle in a closet for a year, and when I hooked it up, it printed
    perfectly. Heck, I expected to have to get a new cartridge at the very
    least, but nope it worked fine.

    I can't say that about the Canon i850 I had. Nor my friend's i550.
     
    Bill, Nov 20, 2004
    #7
  8. Brian

    Bill Guest

    Re: Canon s750 head cleaning, burnt head?

    Brian wrote:

    >I have a canon s750 with a burnt out print head. I haven't been able to
    >find a new print head for sale anywhere, but I hear they are expensive.


    You won't find them for sale...you have to order from Canon.

    > All of the logic behind the separate print head makes sense, and it's
    >the reason I went with Canon in the first place. However, given the
    >extreme cost for fixing it, I'm not sure it's worth it.


    That was my dilemma as well.

    Canon would not guarantee a new printhead either. If it didn't work
    because of some kind of problem with the printer, I was stuck with an
    $80 head and still have a dead printer.

    >So this brings up the question: Did my print head fail abnormally? I
    >had been using cheap replacement ink carts, and only print a few pages a
    >month. If I had bought better quality ink, would the head not have failed?


    I doubt it...I'm starting to see and hear of more failures in various
    areas, including a friend of mine who used an i550 for about 16 months
    using genuine Canon ink tanks only, and his printhead died after about
    2500 pages. A friend in a computer shop said he is seeing a lot of Canon
    printhead failures too.

    >I'm stuck here now trying to figure out if I should buy a new printer
    >(I'm intrigued by the multifunction devices), or keep spending money
    >trying to fix the one I have.


    At todays prices, I suggest you buy a new printer, regardless of brand.
    You get a new unit with full warranty and a new set of ink cartridges. I
    honestly don't believe the costs justify repair.
     
    Bill, Nov 20, 2004
    #8
  9. Brian

    PC Medic Guest

    Re: Canon s750 head cleaning, burnt head?

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    news:vgfnd.3898$...
    > PC Medic wrote:
    >> "Brian" <> wrote in message
    >> news:it8nd.2829$...
    >>>Hello,
    >>>
    >>>My Canon s750 has been giving me trouble. It stopped printing black, but
    >>>my black tank is about 1/2 full. I figured it was a clogged head, and
    >>>I've tried multiple deep cleaning cycles, soaking in alcohol, and I just
    >>>tried a cleaning kit from inkjetsaver.com.
    >>>
    >>>None of those things helped, and while I was running the last cleaning I
    >>>began to smell burning from the printer. I pulled out the head and it
    >>>was very hot, bit there was no smoke.
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone have any suggestions on reviving it? Did I just burn out the
    >>>head on the last cleaning?
    >>>

    >>
    >> Ink passing through the nozzles also helps maintain an acceptable head
    >> temp while in operation. IF you were to do many cleanings in a row with a
    >> clogged head, I suppose it could get hot and smell, but I wonder if
    >> something was not damaged in the alcohol bath.
    >> In either case, I dare say it is history.
    >>
    >> Considering the cost of diagnostics and a new head if that is the
    >> problem, my recommendation (if in the U.S. anyway) is call Canon and take
    >> advantage of the Loyalty Program. I picked up my iP4000 for just over
    >> $130 shipped next day to my door. A new printer, better resolution and a
    >> new warranty. That is if you want to stick with Canon any way.
    >>

    >
    > CanAn, man, how did I miss that spelling error...
    >
    > I originally went with the Canon because of the separate head and ink
    > tanks, but now I've found out that actually getting a new head isn't
    > really worth it.
    >
    > I'm now thinking that the HP model of replacing the heads with the
    > cartridge is the way to go. I guess you can always buy a refill kit and
    > get a little more life out of those carts?
    >


    Well, generally you would not need to replace the head. I have several
    Canon's (one almost 6 years old) and have never had a printhead fail. Yes it
    can happen just like with any other brand, but with my Canon I know if it
    does (on the 3 newer units I have) that the printhead is also covered under
    the warranty. Even with the cost of the Extended warranty from Canon which
    covered the head for the additional 2 years and using Canon OEM inks, I
    still save plenty having individual tanks compared to my previous printers
    with the all-in-one tanks.
     
    PC Medic, Nov 20, 2004
    #9
  10. Brian

    PC Medic Guest

    Re: Canon s750 head cleaning, burnt head?

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    news:JKNnd.5027$...
    > Thanks for your great insight into this.
    >
    > OK, so this leaves me in this position:
    > I have a canon s750 with a burnt out print head. I haven't been able to
    > find a new print head for sale anywhere, but I hear they are expensive.
    > All of the logic behind the separate print head makes sense, and it's the
    > reason I went with Canon in the first place. However, given the extreme
    > cost for fixing it, I'm not sure it's worth it.
    >
    > So this brings up the question: Did my print head fail abnormally? I had
    > been using cheap replacement ink carts, and only print a few pages a
    > month. If I had bought better quality ink, would the head not have
    > failed?
    >
    > I'm stuck here now trying to figure out if I should buy a new printer (I'm
    > intrigued by the multifunction devices), or keep spending money trying to
    > fix the one I have.
    >


    Well you can get a new S750 printhead direct from Canon Sales or a local
    Canon ASF, or even here
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51328&item=6717736532&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V
    for about $60. Now while it is VERY likely the problem you experience is due
    to a failed printhead, you have to keep in mind it may be something else.
    With the cost of a new Canon iP3000 being just $39 more than the printhead
    and considering it will provide not only a new head, but also printer with
    added features (higher resolution, auto-duplexer, dual paper paths, etc) and
    a fresh warranty, IMHO I would probably opt for the new printer. That is of
    course unless you know someone that has a printer that uses the same head
    and confirm your S750 is a bad PH and want to save $39.
     
    PC Medic, Nov 20, 2004
    #10
  11. Brian

    PC Medic Guest

    Re: Canon s750 head cleaning, burnt head?

    "Bill" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Brian wrote:
    >
    >>I have a canon s750 with a burnt out print head. I haven't been able to
    >>find a new print head for sale anywhere, but I hear they are expensive.

    >
    > You won't find them for sale...you have to order from Canon.
    >


    Not true, PartsNow and others also carry them.
     
    PC Medic, Nov 20, 2004
    #11
  12. Brian

    mpx Guest

    Re: Canon s750 head cleaning, burnt head?

    I suppose you simply can't expect reliablility from an inkjet printer
    nowadays. They are not build to last. Some time before, when inkjets were
    more expansive quality seemed to be higher, now it's all shoddy. From my
    experience quality starts with office-class laser printers that have 500
    sheet paper tray and 30+ pages per minute speeds. This kind of hardware is
    build solidly and works without problems even on high load.

    I wouldn't count on HP to provide reliable inkjet. All HP inkjets I dealt
    with had some problems with paper handling mechanism - jamming, pulling
    multiple sheets or no sheet at all, pulling paper at an angle instead of
    straight etc. All these problems had been hardly visible at first, then they
    started getting worse with time. On the other hand they were all printing
    very well looking text, and their heads rarely clogged even when left for a
    few weeks of non-use. I wouldn't recommend HP for graphics printing mainly
    because of too high cost of color ikjet cartridges.
     
    mpx, Nov 21, 2004
    #12
  13. Brian

    Bill Guest

    Re: Canon s750 head cleaning, burnt head?

    mpx wrote:

    >I suppose you simply can't expect reliablility from an inkjet printer
    >nowadays. They are not build to last. Some time before, when inkjets were
    >more expansive quality seemed to be higher, now it's all shoddy. From my
    >experience quality starts with office-class laser printers that have 500
    >sheet paper tray and 30+ pages per minute speeds. This kind of hardware is
    >build solidly and works without problems even on high load.


    While I tend to agree somewhat, I don't think you have to spend a lot of
    money to get a decent printer. I've owned several printers, both inkjet
    and laser, over the years, and I've found that durability is not always
    linked directly to purchase cost, but there does seem to be a negative
    curve of diminishing returns.

    I recently had to replace a dead Canon i850 with another printer. I went
    back to HP since I've had better reliability from their hardware. When
    shopping, I compared several models and found I preferred the design and
    build quality of models starting around the $200 price point. Some
    models below that felt flimsy and cheap, while some more expensive
    models also felt flimsy.

    Just a few of the things I look for in a durable model that I expect to
    last are expandability, solid case and chassis, weight, and logical
    design.

    >I wouldn't count on HP to provide reliable inkjet. All HP inkjets I dealt
    >with had some problems with paper handling mechanism - jamming, pulling
    >multiple sheets or no sheet at all, pulling paper at an angle instead of
    >straight etc.


    I've never had paper handling issues with HP, nor any brand really. I've
    dealt with models that have had 50,000+ sheets put through them, and no
    signs of paper handling issues. However, I've also maintained the
    printers by ensuring the rollers don't get excessively dirty. Cleaning
    the pick-up rollers a few times a year with a damp cloth does wonders.

    > On the other hand they were all printing
    >very well looking text, and their heads rarely clogged even when left for a
    >few weeks of non-use.


    That has been my experience as well. Their inkjet printers have
    traditionally been able to endure long periods of in activity without
    clogging. I had an old HP Deskjet 520 printer sit in a closet for an
    entire year unused, and when connected to my parents computer, it
    printed just fine.

    > I wouldn't recommend HP for graphics printing mainly
    >because of too high cost of color ikjet cartridges.


    After using a Canon i850 printer for 16 months, I don't agree with that
    statement anymore.

    I have first-hand experience that shows ink usage is similar to HP and
    costs are also similar, under typical use. For instance, the Canon ink
    tanks cost less per colour, but about the same when you buy all three.
    In another recent post I mentioned this:

    While the Canon individual ink tanks are cheaper PER COLOUR, they're not
    cheaper when bought in sets of three, which is required if you intend to
    print in colour or make photos.

    For example, here in Canada a large colour cartridge (#97) for my HP
    6540 from Staples is $49.96. Yet an equal set of three Canon ink tanks
    is $53.88 (3x$17.96) for about the same page yields.

    So when you go to the store and buy a Canon ink tank, you THINK you're
    saving money because it only costs you about $20 that one time. But the
    next day when the other colours run out and you buy two more of the ink
    tanks, you've spent the same amount of money on ink.

    Canon is using the ILLUSION of lower individual prices to make is seem
    like you're saving money, when in fact you're not. It's all marketing
    hype.
     
    Bill, Nov 21, 2004
    #13
  14. Brian

    Doug Cutler Guest

    Re: Canon s750 head cleaning, burnt head?

    I have both HP and Cannon. HP45a black cartridges for my 970 are about $26
    each, refill spec say 40 ml ink.
    Cannon BCI-6 Black are $11 each for 13 ml ink.
    Work it out yourself!!
    Doug

    "Bill" <> wrote in message news:...
    > mpx wrote:
    >
    > >I suppose you simply can't expect reliablility from an inkjet printer
    > >nowadays. They are not build to last. Some time before, when inkjets were
    > >more expansive quality seemed to be higher, now it's all shoddy. From my
    > >experience quality starts with office-class laser printers that have 500
    > >sheet paper tray and 30+ pages per minute speeds. This kind of hardware

    is
    > >build solidly and works without problems even on high load.

    >
    > While I tend to agree somewhat, I don't think you have to spend a lot of
    > money to get a decent printer. I've owned several printers, both inkjet
    > and laser, over the years, and I've found that durability is not always
    > linked directly to purchase cost, but there does seem to be a negative
    > curve of diminishing returns.
    >
    > I recently had to replace a dead Canon i850 with another printer. I went
    > back to HP since I've had better reliability from their hardware. When
    > shopping, I compared several models and found I preferred the design and
    > build quality of models starting around the $200 price point. Some
    > models below that felt flimsy and cheap, while some more expensive
    > models also felt flimsy.
    >
    > Just a few of the things I look for in a durable model that I expect to
    > last are expandability, solid case and chassis, weight, and logical
    > design.
    >
    > >I wouldn't count on HP to provide reliable inkjet. All HP inkjets I dealt
    > >with had some problems with paper handling mechanism - jamming, pulling
    > >multiple sheets or no sheet at all, pulling paper at an angle instead of
    > >straight etc.

    >
    > I've never had paper handling issues with HP, nor any brand really. I've
    > dealt with models that have had 50,000+ sheets put through them, and no
    > signs of paper handling issues. However, I've also maintained the
    > printers by ensuring the rollers don't get excessively dirty. Cleaning
    > the pick-up rollers a few times a year with a damp cloth does wonders.
    >
    > > On the other hand they were all printing
    > >very well looking text, and their heads rarely clogged even when left for

    a
    > >few weeks of non-use.

    >
    > That has been my experience as well. Their inkjet printers have
    > traditionally been able to endure long periods of in activity without
    > clogging. I had an old HP Deskjet 520 printer sit in a closet for an
    > entire year unused, and when connected to my parents computer, it
    > printed just fine.
    >
    > > I wouldn't recommend HP for graphics printing mainly
    > >because of too high cost of color ikjet cartridges.

    >
    > After using a Canon i850 printer for 16 months, I don't agree with that
    > statement anymore.
    >
    > I have first-hand experience that shows ink usage is similar to HP and
    > costs are also similar, under typical use. For instance, the Canon ink
    > tanks cost less per colour, but about the same when you buy all three.
    > In another recent post I mentioned this:
    >
    > While the Canon individual ink tanks are cheaper PER COLOUR, they're not
    > cheaper when bought in sets of three, which is required if you intend to
    > print in colour or make photos.
    >
    > For example, here in Canada a large colour cartridge (#97) for my HP
    > 6540 from Staples is $49.96. Yet an equal set of three Canon ink tanks
    > is $53.88 (3x$17.96) for about the same page yields.
    >
    > So when you go to the store and buy a Canon ink tank, you THINK you're
    > saving money because it only costs you about $20 that one time. But the
    > next day when the other colours run out and you buy two more of the ink
    > tanks, you've spent the same amount of money on ink.
    >
    > Canon is using the ILLUSION of lower individual prices to make is seem
    > like you're saving money, when in fact you're not. It's all marketing
    > hype.
     
    Doug Cutler, Nov 21, 2004
    #14
  15. Brian

    Bill Guest

    Re: Canon s750 head cleaning, burnt head?

    Doug Cutler wrote:

    >I have both HP and Cannon. HP45a black cartridges for my 970 are about $26
    >each, refill spec say 40 ml ink.
    >Cannon BCI-6 Black are $11 each for 13 ml ink.
    >Work it out yourself!!


    Unfortunately ink volume does not equate to page yield. If it did, your
    45a would yield roughly 3x the pages of the Canon, but we both know it
    doesn't.

    For instance, the HP 45a has 42ml of ink, and produces ~833 pages.
    But the newer HP 96 has only 21ml of ink, and produces ~800 pages.
    The Canon BCI-3e/BK contains 26ml of ink, and produces ~450 pages.
     
    Bill, Nov 22, 2004
    #15
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Bob Watson

    Canon S750

    Bob Watson, Jul 30, 2003, in forum: Printers
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    750
    Bob Watson
    Jul 31, 2003
  2. garry

    Canon S750

    garry, Sep 24, 2003, in forum: Printers
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    517
    garry
    Sep 25, 2003
  3. Daniel Prince

    Removing Canon S750 print head

    Daniel Prince, Mar 3, 2006, in forum: Printers
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    810
    measekite
    Mar 6, 2006
  4. rick
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    311
  5. Re: Canan BJC-5100 carts

    , May 30, 2009, in forum: Printers
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    214
Loading...

Share This Page