    Similarly, can 2 different internet security software enable together?

    Please advise. thanks!!

    , Sep 28, 2005

  2. Art Guest

    On 28 Sep 2005 07:57:31 -0700, wrote:

    >I tried to install 2 anti virus software (both Mcafee and Norton)on the
    >same machine, but it seems didn't work. Can 2 anti-virus software both
    >running at the same time?

    Not usually.

    >Why?

    They conflict. But you can install as many av as you want and use them
    on-demand to scan drives or folders.

    >Similarly, can 2 different internet security software enable together?

    Which ones? You'd have to try it in most cases to find out.

    Art

    Art

    http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
    Emergency antivirus sources:
    http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/KASFX.EXE
    http://www.claymania.com/KASFX.EXE

    Art, Sep 28, 2005

  3. Ted Zieglar Guest

    "Can 2 anti-virus software both running at the same time?"
    No.

    "Why?"
    http://tinyurl.com/8hr5l

    "Similarly, can 2 different internet security software enable together?"
    Do not attempt to run two software firewalls at the same time.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    Ted Zieglar, Sep 28, 2005
  4. <> wrote in message
    >I tried to install 2 anti virus software (both Mcafee and Norton)on the
    > same machine, but it seems didn't work. Can 2 anti-virus software both
    > running at the same time? Why?
    >
    > Similarly, can 2 different internet security software enable together?
    >
    > Please advise. thanks!!

    Yes, but only if ONE and only one of the real-time scanners (aka on-access
    scanner) is enabled. However, since only one will have its on-access
    scanner running, that means you would need to manually run a scan using the
    other program (and, again, running only the AV scan from one program at a
    time). In that case, there probably isn't a need to install both. Just use
    the online scanning provided at their web site (it downloads an ActiveX
    control to run as a client to download the signatures and then scan your
    computer). The online scanner won't fix or quarantine any found viruses but
    it serves as a second opinion. Then if you find the online scanner finds
    something that your local AV program does not, you can choose what to do at
    that time, like disabling the local AV program's on-access scanner and
    installing the other AV software.

    Most times, there is no point in installing more than one anti-virus program
    unless, of course, you choose to install some very crappy AV programs
    regarding their coverage. Of the two, Norton's AV has higher coverage so
    use its scanner. As far as impacting your system, my experience has shown
    that Norton and McAfee impact performance equally (and why I went with CA's
    EzAntivirus which has minimal performance impact).

    For comparisons of coverage between some AV products, see:

    http://www.av-comparatives.org/

    Also remember that these are bandaid software. Ultimately it is the user
    that decides on the level of security. So your habits (in what you
    download, what you run, and how you configure your AV program and response
    to it) decides how safe is your host.

    E-mail: Remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" to Subject.

    Vanguard \(NPI\), Sep 28, 2005
  5. kurttrail Guest

    wrote:
    > I tried to install 2 anti virus software (both Mcafee and Norton)on
    > the same machine, but it seems didn't work. Can 2 anti-virus software
    > both running at the same time? Why?
    >
    > Similarly, can 2 different internet security software enable together?
    >
    > Please advise. thanks!!

    1.) Pick one AV, install it, and let run in real-time.
    2.) Learn how to avoid viruses without using a AV program, because no
    AV program is perfect.
    3.) From time to time, run online AV scanners that isn't from the same
    company that your installed AV program is from.
    4.) Symantec Sucks! And MacAfee does too! Both are total recourse
    hogs.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    kurttrail, Sep 28, 2005
  6. YoKenny Guest

    Ted Zieglar wrote:
    > "Can 2 anti-virus software both running at the same time?"
    > No.
    >
    > "Why?"
    > http://tinyurl.com/8hr5l

    I don't do _ANY_ tinyurls.com as they can take you _ALL_ kinds of malware
    sites!

    Add tinyurl.com to your HOSTS file.

    YoKenny, Sep 28, 2005
  7. MAP Guest

    wrote:
    > I tried to install 2 anti virus software (both Mcafee and Norton)on
    > the same machine, but it seems didn't work. Can 2 anti-virus software
    > both running at the same time? Why?
    >
    > Similarly, can 2 different internet security software enable together?
    >
    > Please advise. thanks!!

    I wouldn't install either one of then let alone both.

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    MAP, Sep 28, 2005
  8. "MAP" <> after much thought,came up
    with this in news:OU3#:

    > wrote:
    >> I tried to install 2 anti virus software (both Mcafee and
    >> Norton)on the same machine, but it seems didn't work. Can 2
    >> anti-virus software both running at the same time? Why?

    > I wouldn't install either one of then let alone both.

    lol@mike
    -max
    --
    Playing Nice on Usenet:
    My Pages: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/

    What's in a Name?, Sep 28, 2005
  9. From: "YoKenny" <>

    | Ted Zieglar wrote:
    >> "Can 2 anti-virus software both running at the same time?"
    >> No.
    >>
    >> "Why?"
    >> http://tinyurl.com/8hr5l

    | I don't do _ANY_ tinyurls.com as they can take you _ALL_ kinds of malware
    | sites!
    |
    | Add tinyurl.com to your HOSTS file.

    You know, I never looked at it from that POV. It is a good point.
    However, TinyURL.Com is good at breaking the links if they are used in spam or for nefarious
    reasons.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    David H. Lipman, Sep 28, 2005
  10. David H. Lipman, Sep 28, 2005

    "YoKenny" <> wrote in

    > I don't do _ANY_ tinyurls.com as they can take you _ALL_
    > kinds of malware sites!
    >
    > Add tinyurl.com to your HOSTS file.

    Add the 'tiny' at the end of
    forwarding.tinyurl.com/redirect.php?num=
    and look at the source.

    E.g., this
    forwarding.tinyurl.com/redirect.php?num=8hr5l
    shows as
    Location: http://symantec.atgnow.com/ ... (this bloody thing is
    ~535 bytes).

    Replies to: Nherr1professor2doktor31109(at)Oyahoo(dot)Tcom

    , Sep 29, 2005
  12. kurt wismer Guest

    Re: can we install mcafee and norton on the same machine and runtogether?

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "YoKenny" <>
    > | Ted Zieglar wrote:
    >
    >>>"Can 2 anti-virus software both running at the same time?"
    >>>No.
    >>>
    >>>"Why?"
    >>>http://tinyurl.com/8hr5l

    > | I don't do _ANY_ tinyurls.com as they can take you _ALL_ kinds of malware
    > | sites!
    > |
    > | Add tinyurl.com to your HOSTS file.
    >
    > You know, I never looked at it from that POV. It is a good point.
    > However, TinyURL.Com is good at breaking the links if they are used in spam or for nefarious
    > reasons.

    there's nothing wrong with tinyurl.com urls... it's not like anyone can
    really judge the safety of a site by looking at the url anyways (it's
    like judging the safety of a file by looking at the filename) - but for
    the paranoid out there, try http://www.daveltd.com/bin/tinylookup.cgi to
    extract the original url from a tinyurl without actually visiting it...

    --
    "they threw a rope around yer neck to watch you dance the jig of death
    then left ya for the starvin' crows, hoverin' like hungry whores

    kurt wismer, Sep 29, 2005
  13. Lil' Dave Guest

    Stick with NAV. Install some of the freebie AV file only/not memory
    scanners to supplement.

    Was running ZA Pro and the XP firewall simultaneously for about two weeks,
    no apparent conflicts. Disabled XP's due to input here about not doing
    that. But, as I said, saw no apparent problems.

    Lil' Dave, Sep 29, 2005
  14. MAP Guest

    > Many believe that Mike. The retail product's quality drags down the
    > much higher quality of their corporate/enterprise software solutions.
    >
    > I think if either is installed (McAfee and Norton) the other won't
    > allow it to be installed.

    Hi David,
    If Sysmantec and McAfee can get it right with their corp. editions it would
    be nice if they would pass that quality down to the retail level.I for one
    when purchasing a program look for quality NOT price I would rather pay more
    for a good product that to pay less for something second rate, especially
    for something as important as an Anti-virus program.
    Later.

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    MAP, Sep 29, 2005
  15. From: "MAP" <>

    | Hi David,
    | If Sysmantec and McAfee can get it right with their corp. editions it would
    | be nice if they would pass that quality down to the retail level.I for one
    | when purchasing a program look for quality NOT price I would rather pay more
    | for a good product that to pay less for something second rate, especially
    | for something as important as an Anti-virus program.
    | Later.
    |
    | --
    | Mike Pawlak

    I think they much it up it two ways. The first being a licenced product requiring an
    account period to get updates. Not an issue with their corp. products. The second being
    them dumbing down the software fot computer newbies and a dependence upon IE. Again, not
    issue with the corp. versions.

    David H. Lipman, Sep 29, 2005
  16. Sir_George Guest

    YoKenny wrote:
    > Ted Zieglar wrote:
    >> "Can 2 anti-virus software both running at the same time?"
    >> No.
    >>
    >> "Why?"
    >> http://tinyurl.com/8hr5l

    > I don't do _ANY_ tinyurls.com as they can take you _ALL_ kinds of
    > malware sites!
    >
    > Add tinyurl.com to your HOSTS file.

    <snipped>

    There is no need for anyone to add TinyURL to their HOSTS file; if you don't
    want to use it, just ignore the TinyURL link(s).

    Additionally, there is a Preview Feature available at;
    http://tinyurl.com/
    After enabling it, simply paste a TinyURL into the address bar and Tiny will
    show the referenced link.

    --
    Sir_George

    Sir_George, Sep 29, 2005
  17. Mel Guest

    >On 28 Sep 2005 07:57:31 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >I tried to install 2 anti virus software (both Mcafee and Norton)on the
    >same machine, but it seems didn't work. Can 2 anti-virus software both
    >running at the same time? Why?
    >
    >Similarly, can 2 different internet security software enable together?
    >
    >Please advise. thanks!!

    Yes, AVG & NAV run fine together with Resident Shield & Auto-Protected
    enabled.

    Mel, Sep 29, 2005

    kurt wismer <> wrote in

    > there's nothing wrong with tinyurl.com urls... it's not
    > like anyone can really judge the safety of a site by
    > looking at the url anyways (it's like judging the safety of
    > a file by looking at the filename) - but for the paranoid
    > out there, try http://www.daveltd.com/bin/tinylookup.cgi to
    > extract the original url from a tinyurl without actually
    > visiting it...

    Faster and more convenient than looking it up via source.
    Thank you very much!

    J (the paranoid ;)

  19. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > I tried to install 2 anti virus software (both Mcafee and Norton)on the
    > same machine, but it seems didn't work. Can 2 anti-virus software both
    > running at the same time? Why?

    You have balls of steel. I'd never install both of those to the same PC.
    Even if I only wanted to run one 24/7.

    > Similarly, can 2 different internet security software enable together?

    Yes, but dont set the other to run 24/7.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Sep 29, 2005