Can These Files Be Deleted?

William

In the C:\Win2000 directory are maybe 30 subdirectories with the
names: "$NtUninstallQxxxxxx$", where "xxxxxx" is a set of digits. I
assume these have to do with uninstalling W2K patches that have been
installed. These subdirectories contain files that are using up a
great deal of space.

If I wish to keep the patches that I've installed and do not want to
uninstall any of them, can these files and subdirectories be deleted?

Thank you.

William

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Yes. Or move them to another computer or burn a CD or something if you want
a backup "just in case".

Dan Seur

If you know you'll never uninstall, it's OK to delete those files. It's
also possible to move all those directories elsewhere (with a note about
where you moved them from) so that in a possibly dark future you can
still do an uninstall.

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: (e-mail address removed) (William)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
Subject: Can These Files Be Deleted?
Date: 7 Mar 2004 08:28:22 -0800

In the C:\Win2000 directory are maybe 30 subdirectories with the
names: "$NtUninstallQxxxxxx$", where "xxxxxx" is a set of digits. I
assume these have to do with uninstalling W2K patches that have been
installed. These subdirectories contain files that are using up a
great deal of space.

If I wish to keep the patches that I've installed and do not want to
uninstall any of them, can these files and subdirectories be deleted?

Thank you.

William
---

William,

If you remove them you may also want to remove the Add/Remove Programs reference for that update. You should be
able to find this under the registry key below, you may have to look at the DisplayName in each sub-key since the key
name may not reflect the displayed name in Add/Remove Programs.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

If you decide to move the sub-folders you may want to export these keys instead of delete them so you can import them
later if you do decide to use the folders to uninstall.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.