    emails in his sent items folder he is able to see the receipients names, on
    others he can not. Why would you not be able to see the receipients in some
    emails but not in others?

    Lovegdes, Jun 12, 2009

  2. Lovegdes

    VanguardLH Guest

    Lovegdes wrote (on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 12:02:01 -0700):

    > I have a client that sends out mass mailings for various reasons. On some
    > emails in his sent items folder he is able to see the receipients names, on
    > others he can not. Why would you not be able to see the receipients in some
    > emails but not in others?

    Bcc is not shown in the Preview pane. Open the message (double-click on
    it) so it is shown in its own window. The Bcc field should appear in
    that window. If not, use the View menu to select showing the Bcc field.

    VanguardLH, Jun 12, 2009

  3. Lovegdes

    Lovegdes Guest

    "VanguardLH" wrote:

    > Lovegdes wrote (on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 12:02:01 -0700):
    >
    > > I have a client that sends out mass mailings for various reasons. On some
    > > emails in his sent items folder he is able to see the receipients names, on
    > > others he can not. Why would you not be able to see the receipients in some
    > > emails but not in others?

    > Bcc is not shown in the Preview pane. Open the message (double-click on
    > it) so it is shown in its own window. The Bcc field should appear in
    > that window. If not, use the View menu to select showing the Bcc field.

    Both the emails in question, those with the bcc field showing receipients
    and those that are not showing the receipients in the bcc field are being
    opened in their own window. The BCC is already set to show.

    Lovegdes, Jun 12, 2009
  4. Lovegdes

    VanguardLH Guest

    Lovegdes wrote (on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 14:57:02 -0700):

    > "VanguardLH" wrote:
    >
    >> Lovegdes wrote (on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 12:02:01 -0700):
    >>
    >>> I have a client that sends out mass mailings for various reasons. On some
    >>> emails in his sent items folder he is able to see the receipients names, on
    >>> others he can not. Why would you not be able to see the receipients in some
    >>> emails but not in others?

    >> Bcc is not shown in the Preview pane. Open the message (double-click on
    >> it) so it is shown in its own window. The Bcc field should appear in
    >> that window. If not, use the View menu to select showing the Bcc field.

    > Both the emails in question, those with the bcc field showing receipients
    > and those that are not showing the receipients in the bcc field are being
    > opened in their own window. The BCC is already set to show.

    And WHAT is this "client" using to send out his mass mailings?

    If no recipients are listed in the Bcc field then the Bcc field was not
    populated when Outlook sent the e-mail. But did Outlook send the e-mail
    or something else involved in these mass mailings?

    VanguardLH, Jun 13, 2009
  5. Lovegdes

    Lovegdes Guest

    He is using Outlook (11.8217.8221) SP3. He is using Outlook to send out all
    mailings the fields are populated when the emails in question (those that
    don't show the BCC receipients when displaying them in their own window).
    This was verified by going to a few of the intended recepients desks to
    verify that the email was recieved. So, the BCC field was populated when the
    email was sent.

    Lovegdes, Jun 15, 2009
  6. Lovegdes

    VanguardLH Guest

    Lovegdes wrote:

    > "VanguardLH" wrote:
    >>
    >> Lovegdes wrote:

    >>> Both the emails in question, those with the bcc field showing receipients
    >>> and those that are not showing the receipients in the bcc field are being
    >>> opened in their own window. The BCC is already set to show.

    >> And WHAT is this "client" using to send out his mass mailings?
    >>
    >> If no recipients are listed in the Bcc field then the Bcc field was not
    >> populated when Outlook sent the e-mail. But did Outlook send the e-mail
    >> or something else involved in these mass mailings?

    > He is using Outlook (11.8217.8221) SP3. He is using Outlook to send out all
    > mailings the fields are populated when the emails in question (those that
    > don't show the BCC receipients when displaying them in their own window).
    > This was verified by going to a few of the intended recepients desks to
    > verify that the email was recieved. So, the BCC field was populated when the
    > email was sent.

    Are all the recipients listed individually in the Bcc field?

    Or is a distribution list being used in which all the recipients are
    specified? There is a limit to the number of recipients in a
    distribution list but I don't recall what it is, plus I think the limit
    is when using Exchange as the mail server due to the max number of bytes
    allowed in the total number of recipients (whereas Outlook used with
    SMTP doesn't have this limit).

    Is the mass mailing user using MailMerge or some other utility to
    generate the mailings (that then go through Outlook)?

    If an add-on isn't being employed for the mail mailings, can they be
    sent out with Outlook loaded in its safe mode ("outlook.exe /safe")?
    This eliminates anomalies created by add-ons which do not get loaded in
    Outlook's safe mode.

    What security software is installed on this user's host that
    interrogates the e-mail traffic (anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-spam,
    etc.)?

    In the e-mails shown in the Sent Items folder for which their Bcc field
    is empty, are all the other fields (To and Cc) also empty?

    VanguardLH, Jun 15, 2009
  7. Lovegdes

    Lovegdes Guest

    Recipients are listed both individually and personal distribution lists.

    The number of recipients limit is set on our Exchange 2003 SP2 server is 5000.

    No the mass mailing user is not using mailmerge or any other utility to
    generate the emails.

    There isn't a problem sending out the emails. The emails are being sent and
    it has been verified that they have been delivered to the intended
    recipients. Just the receipient list isn't being shown in the BCC field in
    the sent items folder when the email is opened.

    We are using Antigen on the Exchange servers. No client side anti-virus is
    being used to i interrogate email.

    All fields on the emails shown in the Sent Items folder in which the BCC
    field is empty also have the To and CC fields empty.

    Lovegdes, Jun 16, 2009
  8. Lovegdes

    Lovegdes Guest

    Is this supposed to be funny???

    Lovegdes, Jun 17, 2009
  9. Lovegdes

    F.H. Muffman Guest

    >> Change the chair the user sits upon and move the monitor 2 inches to
    >> the left. In other words, I've run out of ideas short of flattening
    >> his host and reimaging it to a known and company-approved base state.

    > Is this supposed to be funny???

    Made me smile. It's a more elegant way of saying 'The problem has the best
    of me.'

    I mean, I can personally think of other things to try in terms of seeing
    if the data is there, but nothing that would fix it.

    You could fire up MDBVU32 and dive into the message properties and see if
    its there, but that won't say why OL won't show it (I'm wondering if there's
    a data size limit on the Sent Item form that you might be running into).

    You could try using a client on a different machine to see if it can see
    the BCC addresses, that way you could rule out the client not being able
    to show you the data if its there.

    If you can reproduce the problem with a new message, you could try sending
    it from a different machine and see if that Sent Item shows all the BCC addresses.

    You could call Microsoft and pay for support, because, honestly, they know
    the software inside and out and might have a better idea what's going wrong.
    --
    f.h.
    Microsoft Outlook MVP

    F.H. Muffman, Jun 17, 2009
  10. Lovegdes

    Lovegdes Guest

    I'll try your suggestions. We have Microsoft Premier support. I was hoping
    I wouldn't have to call them. Thanks..

    Lovegdes, Jun 17, 2009
  11. Lovegdes

    F.H. Muffman Guest

    >>> Is this supposed to be funny???
    >>>

    >> Made me smile. It's a more elegant way of saying 'The problem has
    >> the best of me.'
    >>
    >> I mean, I can personally think of other things to try in terms of
    >> seeing if the data is there, but nothing that would fix it.
    >>
    >> You could fire up MDBVU32 and dive into the message properties and
    >> see if its there, but that won't say why OL won't show it (I'm
    >> wondering if there's a data size limit on the Sent Item form that you
    >> might be running into).
    >>
    >> You could try using a client on a different machine to see if it can
    >> see the BCC addresses, that way you could rule out the client not
    >> being able to show you the data if its there.
    >>
    >> If you can reproduce the problem with a new message, you could try
    >> sending it from a different machine and see if that Sent Item shows
    >> all the BCC addresses.
    >>
    >> You could call Microsoft and pay for support, because, honestly, they know
    >> the software inside and out and might have a better idea what's going

    wrong.

    > I'll try your suggestions. We have Microsoft Premier support. I was
    > hoping I wouldn't have to call them. Thanks..

    Then why do you pay for it? Do you have a limited number of tickets? Heck,
    just call the regular support. The 90 day free support option starts from
    the first call.

    --
    f.h.
    Microsoft Outlook MVP

    F.H. Muffman, Jun 17, 2009
  12. Lovegdes

    VanguardLH Guest

    Lovegdes wrote:

    > "VanguardLH" wrote:
    >
    >> Change the chair the user sits upon and move the monitor 2 inches to the
    >> left. In other words, I've run out of ideas short of flattening his
    >> host and reimaging it to a known and company-approved base state.

    > Is this supposed to be funny???

    Yep.

    If your IT folks cannot figure out the problem, what do they do
    thereafter to get the employee back up to speed? They flatten and
    reimage the employees workstation or laptop so it is at a company-
    approved baseline state for the company property that the employee is
    using.

    No association can be drawn from your mention of "client". Could be you
    are contracted by someone to provide their IT department services.
    Could be they are an employee of the company where you provide IT
    services (as their employee or a contractor working for their IT dept).

    Does this "client" do backups? If not, they have deemed their data as
    worthless or reproducible. If they had backups, they could try
    restoring the files for Outlook back to a prior date when the problem
    did not occur (except don't include the .pst file so they don't lose
    e-mails received since that last backup). System Restore might also
    work but usually it doesn't.

    This is Usenet, not a venue for free support from Microsoft. We're just
    users here, just like you. I said that I ran out of ideas.
    Unfortunately for you, no one else here joined in this discussion who
    might have other troubleshooting tips to try.

    You're welcome. Sorry I couldn't come up with a solution (that leaves
    the client's host in a near-similar state to what it is now).

    VanguardLH, Jun 17, 2009