    keva house Guest

    Can I set up my Word so that every time I type any document whatsoever, that
    the filename will appear as a footer?

    keva house, Jul 2, 2009

  2. keva house

    Jay Freedman Guest

    On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 16:55:01 -0700, keva house <Keva
    > wrote:

    >Can I set up my Word so that every time I type any document whatsoever, that
    >the filename will appear as a footer?

    You can do that, as long as you don't ever use the Envelopes and Labels dialog
    in the Mailings menu. Putting a footer in the Normal.dot template messes up the
    spacing of labels so they don't align with the paper labels.

    The "To add a header, footer, or other static text" section of the article at
    http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/CustomizeNormalTemplate.htm explains
    how to modify the Normal template. What you want is a FileName field (from the
    Insert > Field dialog) in the footer.

    There's a further complication: When you create a new document with this footer,
    it will say something like "Document1" because an unsaved document doesn't have
    a real filename. When you save the document for the first time, you give it a
    filename, but the field won't automatically update. You can force it to update
    by going to File > Print Preview and back, or by opening the footer and
    right-clicking the field and choosing Update Field.

    --
    Regards,
    Jay Freedman

    Jay Freedman, Jul 2, 2009

  3. Yes, but you really don't want to do this, as it requires putting content in
    the footer of the Normal template, which is a Bad Idea.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Jul 2, 2009
  4. keva house

    Graham Mayor Guest

    Personally I feel the best way to handle this is with a macro attached to a
    toolbar button e.g. something along the lines of:

    Sub InsertFilenameInFooter()
    Dim iSec As Integer
    Dim rFooter As Range
    With ActiveDocument
    If Len(.Path) = 0 Then .Save
    iSec = .Sections.Count
    Set rFooter = .Sections(iSec).Footers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).Range
    rFooter.InsertAfter vbCr & .FullName
    With rFooter.Paragraphs(rFooter.Paragraphs.Count)
    .Alignment = wdAlignParagraphRight
    With .Range
    .Font.name = "Arial"
    .Font.Size = 8
    End With
    End With
    End With
    End Sub

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
    Graham Mayor - Word MVP

    My web site www.gmayor.com
    Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

    Graham Mayor, Jul 2, 2009
  5. keva house

    FranklinTN Guest

    Re: can footer default to having a warm FileName field always disp

    Jay: Its hard to imagine Microsoft would make it so difficult to get a
    filename, which is updated automatically when changed, into a footer.
    In Excel, can easily add into a footer the filename/path and date fields.
    When I save that excel file, the filename and date get updated. If I open up
    that excel file, make modifications and save as under a different name, I do
    not need to do ANYTHING within the footer. Automatically Excel changes the
    footer to the new filename and date.

    This seems like such an incredibly basic issue, where you'd want to create a
    word doc and BY DEFAULT have a footer so when you save the file you always,
    when you're looking at a printed version, know where to go and find the file
    at some future date. But it sounds like its jumping thru hoops in word.
    Surely there is an easy way? Also, even tho this thread is dealing with
    word, what I wish is that every time I start with a blank spreadsheet or a
    blank word doc, that there is ALREADY in the footer the filename and path so
    I never have to worry about remembering where I save this. We have complex
    directory structures for our files in the company and you cannot just save
    all your word files in some personal, simple directory.
    Thanks!!

    FranklinTN, Jan 6, 2010
  6. keva house

    Jay Freedman Guest

    Re: can footer default to having a warm FileName field always disp

    Yes, it is hard to believe. As explained in
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=832897, Microsoft deliberately
    disabled automatic updating of filename fields starting in Word 2002;
    before that, they did update automatically. The reason stated in the
    "Cause" section, if taken at face value, is utter nonsense. I assume
    there's something else involved that they'd rather not state
    publically, maybe related to security.

    --
    Regards,
    Jay Freedman

    Jay Freedman, Jan 6, 2010
  7. Re: can footer default to having a warm FileName field always disp

    Hello Jay

    Jay Freedman wrote:
    > Yes, it is hard to believe. As explained in
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=832897, Microsoft deliberately
    > disabled automatic updating of filename fields starting in Word 2002;
    > before that, they did update automatically. The reason stated in the
    > "Cause" section, if taken at face value, is utter nonsense. I assume
    > there's something else involved that they'd rather not state
    > publically, maybe related to security.

    I wonder about the AutoOpen macro: wouldn't it be easier (even: faster)
    to simply switch to Print Preview and back than to iterate through story
    ranges and fields?

    0.02¢
    Robert
    --
    /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
    \ / | MVP | Scientific Reports

    Robert M. Franz [RMF], Jan 7, 2010
  8. keva house

    Jay Freedman Guest

    Robert M. Franz [RMF] wrote:
    > Hello Jay
    >
    > Jay Freedman wrote:
    >> Yes, it is hard to believe. As explained in
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=832897, Microsoft deliberately
    >> disabled automatic updating of filename fields starting in Word 2002;
    >> before that, they did update automatically. The reason stated in the
    >> "Cause" section, if taken at face value, is utter nonsense. I assume
    >> there's something else involved that they'd rather not state
    >> publically, maybe related to security.

    > I wonder about the AutoOpen macro: wouldn't it be easier (even:
    > faster) to simply switch to Print Preview and back than to iterate
    > through story ranges and fields?
    >
    > 0.02¢
    > Robert

    Yes, of course it would be both easier and faster to use Print Preview. But
    I think we (collectively) know more about manipulating Word's behavior than
    almost anyone writing KB articles at Microsoft. <g>

    And if you were going to loop through the StoryRanges collection, the macro
    presented in the KB article might miss some of the fields; you need the
    tricks shown in
    http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/ReplaceAnywhere.htm to get into
    the nooks and crannies. The Print Preview approach makes that unnecessary.

    To be certain that the Print Preview update will work, of course, you first
    have to ensure that the option is set to update fields on printing.

    --
    Regards,
    Jay Freedman

    Jay Freedman, Jan 7, 2010
  9. Re: can footer default to having a warm FileName field always disp

    Hello Jay

    Jay Freedman wrote:
    [..]
    > Yes, of course it would be both easier and faster to use Print Preview. But
    > I think we (collectively) know more about manipulating Word's behavior than
    > almost anyone writing KB articles at Microsoft. <g>

    yeah, well, the funny thing is that the article does mention switching
    to Print Preview as a workaround further down ... :)

    [..]
    > To be certain that the Print Preview update will work, of course, you first
    > have to ensure that the option is set to update fields on printing.

    Yes. At least that part would be well mentioned in the workaround section!

    Greetinx
    Robert
    --
    /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |