    2. can bridge to a wireless network like wifi! possible? i believe it is. radio.
    please, i will be happy to have links or suggestions.
    tnx

    emekadavid, Aug 8, 2012

  2. emekadavid

    David Guest

    On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 02:54:39 -0700, emekadavid wrote:

    > good day, I am looking for a way to connect to networks using this modem
    > on my system; it is on COM1. just discovered it myself:
    > https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/wondering-

    what-this-ttys0-reading-means-4175420805/
    > I would prefer something, possibly an antenna that:
    > 1. is a point-to-point link to a high speed link.
    > and/or 2. can bridge to a wireless network like wifi! possible? i
    > believe it is. radio.
    > please, i will be happy to have links or suggestions.
    > tnx

    You don't have a modem. A 16550A is a serial port.

    David, Aug 8, 2012

  3. emekadavid

    emekadavid Guest

    On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:37:51 AM UTC+1, David wrote:
    > On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 02:54:39 -0700, emekadavid wrote:
    >

    > > good day, I am looking for a way to connect to networks using this modem

    > > on my system; it is on COM1. just discovered it myself:

    > > https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/wondering-

    > what-this-ttys0-reading-means-4175420805/
    >
    > > I would prefer something, possibly an antenna that:

    > > 1. is a point-to-point link to a high speed link.

    > > and/or 2. can bridge to a wireless network like wifi! possible? i

    > > believe it is. radio.

    > > please, i will be happy to have links or suggestions.

    > > tnx

    > You don't have a modem. A 16550A is a serial port.

    thanks. that's why i posted the linuxquestions.org link. thought so.
    is a serial modem that interfaces with a wireless line possible? thought i saw something but you techies know better.
    thanks

    emekadavid, Aug 8, 2012
  4. emekadavid

    Paul Guest

    emekadavid wrote:
    > good day, I am looking for a way to connect to networks using this modem on my system; it is on COM1. just discovered it myself:
    > https://www.linuxquestions.org/ques...ing-what-this-ttys0-reading-means-4175420805/
    > I would prefer something, possibly an antenna that:
    > 1. is a point-to-point link to a high speed link.
    > and/or
    > 2. can bridge to a wireless network like wifi! possible? i believe it is. radio.
    > please, i will be happy to have links or suggestions.
    > tnx

    You say in the Linuxquestions thread, your model number is Compaq TC4200.

    Is this the machine ?

    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12138_na/12138_na.HTML

    RJ-11 Port (Modem) <--- Connect to phone line, for dialup networking
    This means the modem is inside your computer already.

    RJ-45 Port (NIC) <--- Connect to ADSL modem or cable modem, for broadband

    Optional integrated 802.11 a/b/g Wifi <--- Wireless connection to home router

    Bluetooth Module (optional) <--- Suitable for wireless PAN or connection to
    tether style networking, say 3G or 4G ???
    This would not be my first option.

    USB <--- You could connect a USB dialup modem if you want.
    You could connect a USB to Ethernet (RJ-45) if you want.
    Some routers even have a USB port.
    This would not be my first option either.

    In summary, that particular model has lots of options. And the built-in
    dialup modem and RJ-11 port is the one you'd try first.

    If the machine is that modern, you could try "lshw" to get more info
    about what is inside. "sudo lshw" runs the utility as root. Using
    "man lshw" will tell you more about it. If lshw is not installed,
    the shell may even tell you what command to issue, to download
    the executable.

    Other programs are "lspci" and "lsusb", but "lshw" gives about as
    comprehensive a list as Device Manager in Windows would give you.

    Dialup networking in Linux, would involve PPP protocol as it would on Windows.
    In this example, they used two packages, "wvdial" and "ppp". And
    a lot of little config file changes. This tutorial is from 2001,
    before better tools were available. Now, I understand there is a
    "Gnome PPP", as well as "KPPP" for KDE. Modern distros also have
    the accursed Network Manager, which can trash a perfectly good
    network connection. And there are also control panels, for
    selecting networking options, which may ease the setup of the
    PPP dialup session. I wouldn't delve into a lot of script files,
    unless the "automation" in your distro has failed. Modern
    distros should be better at this, than the old distros where the
    amount of work would be similar to the description in the
    next link.

    http://www.linuxjunkies.org/html/Modem-Dialup-NT-HOWTO.html#s2

    You should try to get the distro to identify the dialup modem
    for you, rather than drilling into "dmesg", looking for /dev/ttyS0
    and the like. The hardware discovery that the OS does at boot
    time, should have passed sufficient device info to Network
    Manager, for the appropriate icons to be present to select
    dialup graphically as a networking option.

    And you don't have to use dialup. It's just the direction
    you headed initially, suggested you wanted dialup networking.
    But that computer has plenty of options. If you have ADSL or
    cable modem/router with Wifi, you should be able to use
    Wifi from the TC4200 to those equipments. Or even an
    Ethernet cable in the RJ-45 hole.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 8, 2012
  5. emekadavid

    emekadavid Guest

    On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 10:54:39 AM UTC+1, emekadavid wrote:
    > good day, I am looking for a way to connect to networks using this modem on my system; it is on COM1. just discovered it myself:
    >
    > https://www.linuxquestions.org/ques...ing-what-this-ttys0-reading-means-4175420805/
    >
    > I would prefer something, possibly an antenna that:
    >
    > 1. is a point-to-point link to a high speed link.
    >
    > and/or
    >
    > 2. can bridge to a wireless network like wifi! possible? i believe it is. radio.
    >
    > please, i will be happy to have links or suggestions.
    >
    > tnx

    thanks. bookmarked

    emekadavid, Aug 8, 2012
  6. emekadavid

    emekadavid Guest

    On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 2:34:59 PM UTC+1, emekadavid wrote:
    > On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 10:54:39 AM UTC+1, emekadavid wrote:
    >
    > > good day, I am looking for a way to connect to networks using this modem on my system; it is on COM1. just discovered it myself:

    > > https://www.linuxquestions.org/ques...ing-what-this-ttys0-reading-means-4175420805/

    > > I would prefer something, possibly an antenna that:

    > > 1. is a point-to-point link to a high speed link.

    > > and/or

    > > 2. can bridge to a wireless network like wifi! possible? i believe it is. radio.

    > > please, i will be happy to have links or suggestions.

    > > tnx

    > thanks. bookmarked

    I am happy that the detailed support from this forum. I have decided to buya wifi antenna for networking. I need something that can go large distances, like 10km approximately; I need it for networking practice on my linux laptop, especially the inbuilt ip tool. can anyone suggest an antenna for me..
    will something like this be adequate, i saw it at tigerdirect. btw, I need something that will not tear a hole in my budget, less than 50 dollars.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=195213&csid=_61
    thanks everyone. your support has been wonderful.

    emekadavid, Aug 12, 2012
  7. emekadavid

    Paul Guest

    emekadavid wrote:
    > On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 2:34:59 PM UTC+1, emekadavid wrote:
    >> On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 10:54:39 AM UTC+1, emekadavid wrote:
    >>
    >>> good day, I am looking for a way to connect to networks using this modem on my system; it is on COM1. just discovered it myself:
    >>> https://www.linuxquestions.org/ques...ing-what-this-ttys0-reading-means-4175420805/
    >>> I would prefer something, possibly an antenna that:
    >>> 1. is a point-to-point link to a high speed link.
    >>> and/or
    >>> 2. can bridge to a wireless network like wifi! possible? i believe it is. radio.
    >>> please, i will be happy to have links or suggestions.
    >>> tnx

    >> thanks. bookmarked

    > I am happy that the detailed support from this forum. I have decided to buy a wifi antenna for networking. I need something that can go large distances, like 10km approximately; I need it for networking practice on my linux laptop, especially the inbuilt ip tool. can anyone suggest an antenna for me.
    > will something like this be adequate, i saw it at tigerdirect. btw, I need something that will not tear a hole in my budget, less than 50 dollars.
    > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=195213&csid=_61
    > thanks everyone. your support has been wonderful.

    Wifi is at microwave frequencies. So you could look at microwave techniques.

    http://www.radiolabs.com/products/antennas/2.4gig/stage1.php

    Antennas come in vertical, horizontal, or circular polarization.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarization_(antenna)#Polarization

    The Wifi protocols, are designed with a certain maximum distance in mind.
    In the experiments done in South America, they've sent Wifi a couple
    hundred kilometers, between mountain tops. But to do so, requires
    modifying the Wifi software, so the protocol doesn't time out. You'd
    have to review that issue, to understand what distance to expect
    under good propagation conditions (before software becomes an issue).

    See the fun you can have ?

    http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/15/how-to-build-a-wifi-biquad-dish-antenna/

    If you don't like the dish idea, they also make Yagi. They're used
    for television. But can also be "cut" for a fixed frequency,
    rather than being broadband. A TV Yagi, is meant to span channels
    13-83 for example, which is a huge range of frequencies. If you use
    a Yagi designed for a relatively fixed frequency (covering the
    channel spacing of Wifi), then the antenna could have slightly better
    gain. Generally, the lower the bandwidth, the better the gain in
    the remaining frequencies. At least, with OTA digital TV showed up,
    antenna designers hoped to gain a bit, by not having to make the
    antenna go up as high in frequency.

    http://www.radiolabs.com/Articles/wifi-antenna.html

    In a quick check, the Yagi Wifi antennas are in the 16-25 dBi range.
    One reason for that, could be the Yagi is "front and back fire", while
    the microwave dish only fires in the front direction (no back lobe).

    The benefit of an extremely directional antenna, is you can actually
    avoid interfering Wifi signals from other compass points. You
    can point right at your partner Wifi device. To do so accurately,
    you might need GPS at both the originating site, and GPS in the
    field, so you can work out the true bearing, then correct for the
    compass bearing, and then using a locally held compass, get some
    idea where you should be "pointing". There is a difference between
    "magnetic" bearing and "true" bearing. The sites I've used for OTA TV,
    provide that information for me. They tell me the "true" bearing, and
    then what I'd need to use when using my compass for aiming purposes.

    Considering you're on a budget, I'd take my time before deciding
    what antenna to buy. And also, what the reasonable expectations would be
    for performance.

    Have fun,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 12, 2012
  8. emekadavid

    Mike Easter Guest

    emekadavid wrote:

    > I am happy that the detailed support from this forum. I have decided
    > to buy a wifi antenna for networking. I need something that can go
    > large distances, like 10km approximately; I need it for networking
    > practice on my linux laptop, especially the inbuilt ip tool. can
    > anyone suggest an antenna for me. will something like this be
    > adequate, i saw it at tigerdirect. btw, I need something that will
    > not tear a hole in my budget, less than 50 dollars.
    > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=195213&csid=_61

    That omni antenna at Tiger Direct can replace an external wireless
    antenna which is connecting to its wifi radio by way of a RP-SMA
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RP-SMA#Reverse_polarity_SMA

    It would have more gain than a little stubby external but nothing like
    what you are imagining.

    In linuxquestions, you announced a compaq tc4200

    Paul asked you if this HP Compaq tc4200 Tablet PC was your laptop.
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12138_na/12138_na.HTML

    If so, your tablet's wifi does not have such an external antenna connector.

    You are connecting to this newsgroup via GG using different/variable
    Nigerian providers.

    What does that mean about your connectivity plans? You are wanting to
    use your tablet's wifi to connect to a far off wifi access point.

    It would be better if you spelled out/ explained in much greater detail
    what kind of intentions you have and what kind of connectivity is
    available to you.

    If a person has 'control' of both ends of the radios and their antennae,
    the access point and the receiving/client device's antenna, they could
    devise a cheap uni-directional antenna such as has been made with
    Pringle's cans and other similar shapes which are referred to as cantennas.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pringles_cantenna

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 12, 2012
  9. emekadavid

    emekadavid Guest

    On Sunday, August 12, 2012 10:55:31 PM UTC+1, Mike Easter wrote:
    > emekadavid wrote:
    >

    > > I am happy that the detailed support from this forum. I have decided

    > > to buy a wifi antenna for networking. I need something that can go

    > > large distances, like 10km approximately; I need it for networking

    > > practice on my linux laptop, especially the inbuilt ip tool. can

    > > anyone suggest an antenna for me. will something like this be

    > > adequate, i saw it at tigerdirect. btw, I need something that will

    > > not tear a hole in my budget, less than 50 dollars.

    > > http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=195213&csid=_61

    > That omni antenna at Tiger Direct can replace an external wireless
    >
    > antenna which is connecting to its wifi radio by way of a RP-SMA
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RP-SMA#Reverse_polarity_SMA
    >

    > It would have more gain than a little stubby external but nothing like
    >
    > what you are imagining.
    >

    > In linuxquestions, you announced a compaq tc4200
    >

    > Paul asked you if this HP Compaq tc4200 Tablet PC was your laptop.
    >
    > http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12138_na/12138_na.HTML
    >

    > If so, your tablet's wifi does not have such an external antenna connector.
    >

    > You are connecting to this newsgroup via GG using different/variable
    >
    > Nigerian providers.
    >

    > What does that mean about your connectivity plans? You are wanting to
    >
    > use your tablet's wifi to connect to a far off wifi access point.
    >

    > It would be better if you spelled out/ explained in much greater detail
    >
    > what kind of intentions you have and what kind of connectivity is
    >
    > available to you.
    >

    > If a person has 'control' of both ends of the radios and their antennae,
    >
    > the access point and the receiving/client device's antenna, they could
    >
    > devise a cheap uni-directional antenna such as has been made with
    >
    > Pringle's cans and other similar shapes which are referred to as cantennas.
    >

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pringles_cantenna
    >

    > --
    >
    > Mike Easter

    Good day. Whoever has been following my new topics recently will realize that they are all connected towards networking. I intend investing in networking education for this year and next and presently reading series of books on computer networks, including the Linux networking guide.
    My purpose after my studies is to:
    1.Understand networking in its complete sense.
    2.Start a networking training institute because I believe the need is slowly arising in my country, Nigeria, for networking resources.
    I have a concern though. I went to the market and found that the modems that are popular are these:
    a.Wifi modems but the problem is that the range is very short and I could not find a range extender in the marketer, so it would be close to impossible detecting any wireless network with it.
    b.HSPA/3.5G/UMTS modems. I have never used this before and they require a SIM card installed.
    My short-term goals:
    1.To be able to tune my Linux system to act as a networking router, bridge or access point. The complete works.
    My question is:
    1.Given HSPA/3.5G/UMTS modems that require SIM cards, is this short-term goal possible?
    2.Given Wifi modems and not being able to detect any network with it for short-term goals above, is there a workaround?
    thanks

    emekadavid, Aug 14, 2012
  10. emekadavid

    Mike Easter Guest

    emekadavid wrote:

    > Whoever has been following my new topics recently will realize that
    > they are all connected towards networking.

    I have only been following this one topic of yours in this one group.

    There are several issues in your messages here which are not related to
    the group's name. One is the format of your messages and the other is
    the issue of connecting to a provider as opposed to creating a local
    network.

    You are reading and posting to this usenet group using google groups GG.
    The best way to read and post here is not with GG but by using a
    newsreader and newsserver, both of which are free.

    GG has a new and an old interface. The new interface causes your
    messages to be posted in a bad format, the lines you quote are
    double-spaced and the lines you write are not properly wrapped.

    Popular news readers for windows are Thunderbird for Win7/Vista/XP or
    Windows Mail for Vista or Outlook Express for XP. Popular news servers
    are aioe which does not require registration or eternal-september which
    does.

    Re Nigerian providers: I see a number of web sites about internet
    service for Nigeria and the role of satellite and cybercafes.

    It is one thing/problem to achieve internet connectivity via a provider;
    it is another thing to create a local network with ethernet or wifi or
    both. It appears that you do not have a consistent connection with a
    single Nigerian provider.

    You can have a local network which isn't connected to the internet, or
    you can have a local network which /is/ connected to the internet.

    How you study for your future plans is somewhat ahead of how you
    currently connect to the internet and how you connect to this usenet
    newsgroup.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 14, 2012
  11. emekadavid

    emekadavid Guest

    On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 1:23:37 PM UTC+1, Mike Easter wrote:
    > emekadavid wrote:
    >

    > > Whoever has been following my new topics recently will realize that

    > > they are all connected towards networking.

    > I have only been following this one topic of yours in this one group.
    >

    > There are several issues in your messages here which are not related to
    >
    > the group's name. One is the format of your messages and the other is
    >
    > the issue of connecting to a provider as opposed to creating a local
    >
    > network.
    >

    > You are reading and posting to this usenet group using google groups GG.
    >
    > The best way to read and post here is not with GG but by using a
    >
    > newsreader and newsserver, both of which are free.
    >

    > GG has a new and an old interface. The new interface causes your
    >
    > messages to be posted in a bad format, the lines you quote are
    >
    > double-spaced and the lines you write are not properly wrapped.
    >

    > Popular news readers for windows are Thunderbird for Win7/Vista/XP or
    >
    > Windows Mail for Vista or Outlook Express for XP. Popular news servers
    >
    > are aioe which does not require registration or eternal-september which
    >
    > does.
    >

    > Re Nigerian providers: I see a number of web sites about internet
    >
    > service for Nigeria and the role of satellite and cybercafes.
    >

    > It is one thing/problem to achieve internet connectivity via a provider;
    >
    > it is another thing to create a local network with ethernet or wifi or
    >
    > both. It appears that you do not have a consistent connection with a
    >
    > single Nigerian provider.
    >

    > You can have a local network which isn't connected to the internet, or
    >
    > you can have a local network which /is/ connected to the internet.
    >

    > How you study for your future plans is somewhat ahead of how you
    >
    > currently connect to the internet and how you connect to this usenet
    >
    > newsgroup.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Mike Easter

    was having some issues posting on GG using the web interface this morning. didn't really understand the new layout. getting used to it. sometimes, GG is more intuitive than other newsreaders but was thinking of installing one.
    thanks anyway.

    emekadavid, Aug 14, 2012
  12. emekadavid

    Mike Easter Guest

    emekadavid wrote:

    > was having some issues posting on GG using the web interface this
    > morning. didn't really understand the new layout. getting used to it.
    > sometimes, GG is more intuitive than ther newsreaders but was
    > thinking of installing one.

    If you are going to use GG, you should/must use the old interface or
    else you have to do a lot of reformatting to make acceptable news messages.

    You get to the old interface by using the gear menu and selecting
    'revert to the old interface'.

    If that revert function is not available in the menu, log out and go to
    the old interface front page https://groups.google.com/

    and log back in. If you get redirected to a new GG, notice what address
    is in the addressline of the browser and edit it to say:

    https://groups.google.com/?hl=en&noredirect=true

    That 'noredirect' in the URL prevents the GG webserver from redirecting
    you to the new GG front page.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 15, 2012
  13. emekadavid

    Mike Easter Guest

    emekadavid wrote:

    > sometimes, GG is more intuitive than other newsreaders but was
    > thinking of installing one.

    If your OS is Win XP, Outlook Express is installed by default.

    If your OS is Vista, Windows Mail is installed by default.

    Both of those make satisfactory news clients to start. Win7 is another
    matter as it does not have a news client.

    Then all you need is a newsserver. eternal-september is free and/but
    requires registration.

    http://www.eternal-september.org/RegisterNewsAccount.php?language=en
    User registration

    You choose a username and e-s will send you a password which you can
    change at e-s at any time.

    These pages at another different news server NIN give good illustrations
    about how to set up your news client of choice

    http://news.individual.net/config.php Program Configuration

    You can use the guides at NIN, substituting the values for e-s insetead
    of those for NIN.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 15, 2012
  14. emekadavid

    Mike Easter Guest

    Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > "Mike Easter" mentioned:

    >> Win7 is another matter as it does not have a news client.

    > True about Win7 not having a news client. But Windows Live Mail, the
    > successor to OE and WinMail, can be downloaded from the Microsoft
    > website, and it behaves pretty much like Outlook Express and Windows
    > Mail.

    The version WLM you refer is totally unacceptable as a news client
    because it cannot quote/cite with quote marks.

    The only usable WLM is a 2009 WLM which can be found a few places.

    It is also possible to get the Vista Wimdows Mail working in Win7.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 15, 2012
  15. emekadavid

    Mike Easter Guest

    Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > "Mike Easter" denigrated Win Live Mail:

    >> The only usable WLM is a 2009 WLM which can be found a few places.
    >>
    >> It is also possible to get the Vista Wimdows Mail working in Win7.

    > The Win Live Mail to which I refer is the version that I use right now
    > which came with my Dell OEM 64-bit Win7 two years ago (of which
    > there are later versions) and which cited your quote above. Admittedly,
    > it didn't include quotation marks, but I most people wouldn't consider
    > that as a shortcoming in a news client.

    Your LWM 14 is a version which quotes but current versions don't. A
    news agent which doesn't quote isn't a news agent that can post anything
    to a newsgroup but an initial thread message.

    The absence of proper and compliant progression of all the previous
    quotes creates a totally unacceptable reply -- in a different way than a
    GG-new unacceptable reply.

    > That you are able to exorcise WinMail from Vista and transplant it
    > to Win7 is impressive. I tried uninstalling WinMail from my laptop's
    > 32-bit Vista, and it wasn't even listed at being installed.

    I read somewhere that MS originally intended (and structured) for
    WinMail to be a part of Win7, but the European rule-makers didn't want
    to allow it, so WinMail was 'disabled' in the released Win7.

    I have never tried to remove WinMail from a Vista

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 15, 2012
  16. emekadavid

    Chris S. Guest

    "Timothy Daniels" <> wrote in message
    > "Mike Easter" elaborated:
    >> Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >>> "Mike Easter" denigrated Win Live Mail:

    >>> The Win Live Mail to which I refer is the version that I use right
    >>> now
    >>> which came with my Dell OEM 64-bit Win7 two years ago (of which
    >>> there are later versions) and which cited your quote above.
    >>> Admittedly,
    >>> it didn't include quotation marks, but I most people wouldn't consider
    >>> that as a shortcoming in a news client.

    >> Your LWM 14 is a version which quotes but current versions don't. A news
    >> agent which doesn't quote isn't a news agent that can post anything to a
    >> newsgroup but an initial thread message.
    >>
    >> The absence of proper and compliant progression of all the previous
    >> quotes creates a totally unacceptable reply -- in a different way than a
    >> GG-new unacceptable reply.
    >>
    >>> That you are able to exorcise WinMail from Vista and transplant it
    >>> to Win7 is impressive. I tried uninstalling WinMail from my laptop's
    >>> 32-bit Vista, and it wasn't even listed at being installed.

    >> I read somewhere that MS originally intended (and structured) for WinMail
    >> to be a part of Win7, but the European rule-makers didn't want to allow
    >> it, so WinMail was 'disabled' in the released Win7.
    >>
    >> I have never tried to remove WinMail from a Vista

    > This appears to be the hack that you refer to that re-enables Win Mail
    > in Win7:
    > http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-enable-windows-mail-app-in-windows-7.137494/
    >
    > That's funny - an entire app sitting there disabled in Windows 7. No
    > wonder
    > Windows is bloated.
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    "Patched" Vista WinMail" into Win 7 x64 Ultimate about 2 years ago.
    Works flawlessly. The "hack" is interesting, but unnecessary.

    Chris

    Chris S., Aug 16, 2012
  17. emekadavid

    Chris S. Guest

    Re: re-enable Windows Mail in Win7

    > "Chris S." chimed in:
    >>
    >> "Timothy Daniels" <> wrote:
    >>> "Mike Easter" elaborated:

    >>> This appears to be the hack that you refer to that re-enables Win
    >>> Mail
    >>> in Win7:
    >>> http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-enable-windows-mail-app-in-windows-7.137494/
    >>>
    >>> That's funny - an entire app sitting there disabled in Windows 7. No
    >>> wonder
    >>> Windows is bloated.
    >>>
    >>> *TimDaniels*

    >> "Patched" Vista WinMail" into Win 7 x64 Ultimate about 2 years ago.
    >> Works flawlessly. The "hack" is interesting, but unnecessary.

    > That's admirable, but would you care to tell us how you did it or
    > to point to a web page that explains how to do it?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    One of the thousand or so sites with that information:
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-mail-from-vista-for-use-in-windows-7/

    Regards,
    Chris

    Chris S., Aug 16, 2012
  18. emekadavid

    Mike Easter Guest

    Chris S. wrote:
    > "Timothy Daniels"

    > One of the thousand or so sites with that information:
    > http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-mail-from-vista-for-use-in-windows-7/

    Altho' I haven't performed either method, from my reading comprehension,
    I believe I prefer the techspot site's method with its associated helper
    files over the digitallife method as being more 'comprehensive'.

    One, digitallife, mostly just copies Vista mail folder to the Win7. The
    other techspot integrates more thoroughly.

    Also, I can 'follow' the techspot plan more logically.

    Techspot is a nice site. They also have a forum section with vetted
    helpers for removing malware like that of bleepingcomputer, which
    bleeping is pretty slow to interact and the first contact after a few
    days is a 'bot instead of a person.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 16, 2012
  19. emekadavid

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Chris S. wrote:
    >> "Timothy Daniels"

    >> One of the thousand or so sites with that information:
    >> http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-mail-from-vista-for-use-in-windows-7/

    > Altho' I haven't performed either method, from my reading comprehension, I
    > believe I prefer the techspot site's method with its associated helper
    > files over the digitallife method as being more 'comprehensive'.
    >
    > One, digitallife, mostly just copies Vista mail folder to the Win7. The
    > other techspot integrates more thoroughly.
    >
    > Also, I can 'follow' the techspot plan more logically.
    >
    > Techspot is a nice site. They also have a forum section with vetted
    > helpers for removing malware like that of bleepingcomputer, which bleeping
    > is pretty slow to interact and the first contact after a few days is a
    > 'bot instead of a person.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    I guess a bit before the "how to" sites popped up, I just copied over the
    entire
    mail directory from Vista, and set the ownership and permissions correctly.
    Put a shortcut on my task bar, made it the default mail handler, and never
    looked back.

    Chris

    Chris S., Aug 16, 2012
  20. emekadavid

    > "Chris S." replied:
    >>
    >> "Timothy Daniels" <> wrote:
    >>> "Chris S." chimed in:

    >>> That's admirable, but would you care to tell us how you did it or
    >>> to point to a web page that explains how to do it?
    >>>
    >>> *TimDaniels*

    >> One of the thousand or so sites with that information:
    >> http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-mail-from-vista-for-use-in-windows-7/
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Chris

    > OK, now I understand what you meant by "patch" - you lifted it from Vista
    > and transferred it to Win7. I thought you meant that you had made a
    > simple
    > change in Win7 to enable WinMail code that was already sitting there in
    > Win7.
    > Congratulations on succeeding in doing that yourself, though.
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    Never gave it a thought. As a Microsoft chosen "Beta Tester" I had to wring
    out
    Vista. WinMail was enough like XP's outlook express mail that I got used to
    it.
    Win 7s "NoMail" was easy to overcome. Don't know what I'll do about Win
    8......

    Chris

    Chris S., Aug 16, 2012