Can anyone help me figure out how I can get my news to come up under Outlook?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook Third-Party Utilities' started by Brent Hauver, Feb 18, 2005.

  1. Brent Hauver

    Brent Hauver Guest

    Hi I am moving from outlook express to outlook... and for the life of me I
    can not get the News set up on OUtlook. I go to the News click it and it
    asks if I want outlook news to be the default I say yes and it takes me into
    News and then I exit and the next time I click on news it takes me to this
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033 folder. Can anyone help me
    figure out how I can get my news to come up under Outlook?

    I can not believe a company as big as MS can not get a descent email
    package. Mozzilla is way better, Netscape is of course mozzilla with a lot
    of ugly code on top. I am so tempted to look at an alternative...

    So now I am using OUtlook express for my news server and outlook for my
    email and Palm desktop for my PIM...

    --
    Let go, Elevate your life
    Brent Hauver

    Brent Hauver, Feb 18, 2005

  2. Brent Hauver

    Peter Foldes Guest

    > So now I am using Outlook express for my news server and outlook for my
    > email and Palm desktop for my PIM...

    Outlook uses Outlook Express as the newsreader. Outlook does not have the
    capability to set up newsgroups but rather uses OE as I mentioned.

    Peter

    "Brent Hauver" <> wrote in message

    Peter Foldes, Feb 20, 2005

  3. To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel |
    Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If
    OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch
    it, click the "Don't ask me again" box and then click the No button.

    You may need to reset the menu or toolbar using Tools, customize.

    --
    Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

    Diane Poremsky [MVP], Feb 24, 2005
  4. Brent Hauver wrote:
    > Hi I am moving from outlook express to outlook... and for the life of
    > me I can not get the News set up on OUtlook.

    Outlook isn't a newsreader. Use OE for news - or, other NNTP clients.

    > I go to the News click
    > it

    Where?

    > and it asks if I want outlook news to be the default I say yes and
    > it takes me into News and then I exit and the next time I click on
    > news it takes me to this C:\Program Files\Common
    > Files\System\MSMAPI\1033 folder. Can anyone help me figure out how I
    > can get my news to come up under Outlook?

    It can't - it can just launch OE if you have it set up right. I don't
    bother - I don't see why it's any more convenient to use a menu item in
    Outlook than to use a quicklaunch shortcut to msimn.exe /outnews.

    > I can not believe a company as big as MS can not get a descent email
    > package.

    They do. Outlook 2003 is awfully swell.
    However, as your question is about news, not mail, and Outlook is not now
    (nor has ever been, and likely will never be) a news client, I'm not sure
    how relevant that is.

    > Mozzilla is way better, Netscape is of course mozzilla with
    > a lot of ugly code on top. I am so tempted to look at an
    > alternative...

    Well, of course, you're free to use whatever you wish. You can even use two
    orange juice cans and a piece of string if you like. However, I suspect you
    won't get much help for it in an Outlook support newsgroup. ;-)

    > So now I am using OUtlook express for my news server and outlook for
    > my email and Palm desktop for my PIM...

    Well, you do need to use OE for your news *client* (not server) even if you
    launch it from within Outlook - unless you have a third party news client
    like Forte Agent.
    However, using Palm Desktop rather than Outlook is a waste. Get software
    like Chapura Pocketmirror that will let you sync your Palm directly to
    Outlook. That way, you only have two applications to worry about.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Feb 27, 2005