    Any help would be most appreciated

    Kind regards

    Simon

    Simon Desarte, Oct 22, 2003

  2. Simon Desarte

    Kevin Stecyk Guest

    Simon,

    This looks a lot like a homework problem. Unfortunately, we don't do
    homework.

    But I will give you some hints:

    The volume of a cone is 1/3(Area of Base)(height) = 1/3(pi r2)(height).

    You are going to need to transform circumference to radius. (pi * 2 * r =
    circ)

    You are going to need to determine the heights of your cones. You know the
    two radii and you know the distance between, so thus you know the cone
    heights. You have one large cone less a smaller cone. In other words, you
    need to calculate the volume of a cone as though it were not cut off
    prematurely. That will be the large volume. And then you need to calculate
    the volume of the portion that was cut off.

    And then you can solve your question.

    <<I can do it on paper but can't seem to get it to work in excel!>>

    If you can do it on paper, you can do it Excel. Just put the same formulas
    in place.

    Good luck!

    Kevin

    Kevin Stecyk, Oct 22, 2003

  3. Thanks for your posting Kevin, If I give you a bit of background into
    what I am trying to do it might make people realise it is not
    homework.

    I need to calculate the volume of peoples legs before and after
    vigorous exercise (strange but true). I don't need it to be totally
    accurate so a cut of cone formula is perfect.

    I have uploaded my paper calculations here
    http://simon_desarte.tripod.com/cone.gif

    I want to put the bottom formula into excel but I can't seem to make
    it work!

    I can't seem to make any formula work in excel even =1/3(pi()
    radius^2)(height)where I have substituted "radius" for a number and
    "height" for a number.

    It comes back telling me that I have typed it in wrong.

    Please can someone help me it is driving me crazy I admit to never
    using excel before but I need to do the calculations on a computer.

    Thanks for your help

    Simon

    Simon Desarte, Oct 22, 2003
  4. Simon Desarte

    Andy B Guest

    Simon

    I have set up the formula you have described and it works OK. I've used:

    =25/PI()/2*10/3

    This is just a long-hand version of what you require (for the 25cm cone).

    Andy.

    =

    Andy B, Oct 22, 2003
  5. Simon Desarte

    Kevin Stecyk Guest

    Simon,

    I will send you a spreadsheet with the math already figured out.

    Regards,

    Kevin Stecyk, Oct 22, 2003
  6. Simon Desarte

    Guest