    deal, although the compressed format differs from product to product.

    Can anyone point me to a program that makes a simple copy of the drive
    and runs on a regular schedule? Many thanks.

    spasmous2, Jan 7, 2010

    - Accountancy
    - Veteran of the Armed Forces
    - @Hotmail.com
    - nntp Postologist
    ~ "share the nirvana" - dbZen

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    db, Jan 7, 2010

  3. spasmous2

    Anna Guest

    Re: drive copy / backup to D:

    "spasmous2" <> wrote in message
    >I have installed a second hard drive (D:) which I intend to be a
    > backup for the C: drive. All I would like to do is copy the entire C:
    > drive to the D: drive on a weekly schedule.
    >
    > I've looked into the Backup utility in XP and it's close to what I
    > want, but it makes a bkf file rather than a copy. This is not as
    > convenient for me (I'd like to be able to manually examine the files
    > on D:) also I read the bkf file is corrupted even with a single bit
    > error. I've looked at some other freeware programs but its the same
    > deal, although the compressed format differs from product to product.
    >
    > Can anyone point me to a program that makes a simple copy of the drive
    > and runs on a regular schedule? Many thanks.

    spasmous2...
    What you're probably looking for is a disk-to-disk cloning program. Using
    that type of program a byte-for-byte (for all practical purposes) copy of
    your day-to-day working HDD (what you've labeled your C: drive) can be
    created on another HDD (what you've labeled your D: drive). So that you'll
    have a precise copy of all the data on your "source" HDD, the OS, all your
    programs & applications, configurations, and of course your personal data.
    It's hard to conceive of a better backup system for the majority of PC
    users.

    There are, of course, a number of disk-cloning programs available - free,
    shareware, & commercial. Many of the commercial programs have trial versions
    available and you should avail yourself of the opportunity of giving each a
    "test run" to see if a particular program meets your needs.

    The program we strongly recommend is the Casper 6 disk-cloning program. It's
    extremely simple to use even for an inexperienced user, extraordinarily
    quick in its backup operations when the program is used routinely &
    frequently (as it should be!), and all-in-all very effective. And the
    program has an automatic scheduling capability as well.

    If you're interested in more details about the program so indicate and I'll
    provide them. There's a 30-day trial version available at...
    http://www.fssdev.com/products/free/
    The trial version is slightly crippled but it should give you a good idea of
    how the program works.
    Anna

    Anna, Jan 7, 2010
  4. spasmous2

    spasmous2 Guest

    Re: drive copy / backup to D:

    On Jan 7, 2:52 pm, "Anna" <> wrote:
    > "spasmous2" <> wrote in message

    > >I have installed a second hard drive (D:) which I intend to be a
    > > backup for the C: drive. All I would like to do is copy the entire C:
    > > drive to the D: drive on a weekly schedule.

    > > I've looked into the Backup utility in XP and it's close to what I
    > > want, but it makes a bkf file rather than a copy. This is not as
    > > convenient for me (I'd like to be able to manually examine the files
    > > on D:) also I read the bkf file is corrupted even with a single bit
    > > error. I've looked at some other freeware programs but its the same
    > > deal, although the compressed format differs from product to product.

    > > Can anyone point me to a program that makes a simple copy of the drive
    > > and runs on a regular schedule? Many thanks.

    > spasmous2...
    > What you're probably looking for is a disk-to-disk cloning program. Using
    > that type of program a byte-for-byte (for all practical purposes) copy of
    > your day-to-day working HDD (what you've labeled your C: drive) can be
    > created on another HDD (what you've labeled your D: drive). So that you'll
    > have a precise copy of all the data on your "source" HDD, the OS, all your
    > programs & applications, configurations, and of course your personal data..
    > It's hard to conceive of a better backup system for the majority of PC
    > users.

    Thanks everyone for your replies. Point taken about this being a
    limited form of backup, but it is (should be) easy and better than no
    backup :)

    I located a program called ShadowCopy (http://www.runtime.org/shadow-
    copy.htm) that does more or less what I wanted. I have set it to run
    on a weekly schedule using the Windows scheduler. In case anyone
    wishes to follow in my tracks, the scheduled command:

    Run: "C:\Program Files\Runtime Software\ShadowCopy\shadowcopy.exe" C:
    \*.* D:\ /s /y /r /i

    Start in: "C:\Program Files\Runtime Software\ShadowCopy"

    spasmous2, Jan 7, 2010
  5. On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 12:02:48 -0800 (PST), spasmous2
    <> wrote:

    >I have installed a second hard drive (D:) which I intend to be a
    >backup for the C: drive. All I would like to do is copy the entire C:
    >drive to the D: drive on a weekly schedule.
    >
    >I've looked into the Backup utility in XP and it's close to what I
    >want, but it makes a bkf file rather than a copy. This is not as
    >convenient for me (I'd like to be able to manually examine the files
    >on D:) also I read the bkf file is corrupted even with a single bit
    >error. I've looked at some other freeware programs but its the same
    >deal, although the compressed format differs from product to product.
    >
    >Can anyone point me to a program that makes a simple copy of the drive
    >and runs on a regular schedule? Many thanks.

    Partition Magic can make such a copy. My old version doesn't have
    automatic scheduling but that is probably an easy nut to crack.

    --
    Remove del for email

    Barry Schwarz, Jan 10, 2010
  6. spasmous2

    spasmous2 Guest

    On Jan 7, 12:02 pm, spasmous2 <> wrote:
    > I have installed a second hard drive (D:) which I intend to be a
    > backup for the C: drive. All I would like to do is copy the entire C:
    > drive to the D: drive on a weekly schedule.
    >
    > I've looked into the Backup utility in XP and it's close to what I
    > want, but it makes a bkf file rather than a copy. This is not as
    > convenient for me (I'd like to be able to manually examine the files
    > on D:) also I read the bkf file is corrupted even with a single bit
    > error. I've looked at some other freeware programs but its the same
    > deal, although the compressed format differs from product to product.
    >
    > Can anyone point me to a program that makes a simple copy of the drive
    > and runs on a regular schedule? Many thanks.

    Heh. Well how about that - it turns out Windows has the perfect
    utility already: xcopy.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240268

    It even has the option (/D) to copy only newer files. I've made a .bat
    file with this in it and run it on the built in Windows scheduler.

    xcopy c: e: /D /F /Y /E /H /C /K /R /X

    spasmous2, Jan 11, 2010