Building New Rig - Opinions Appreciated

Discussion in 'DIY PC' started by Cyrius7, Feb 11, 2005.

  1. Cyrius7

    Cyrius7 Guest

    I am building a WinXP Pro system then shipping it to a friend. The
    priorities are price, stability, expandability and decent gaming
    performance. For stability reasons I'm shying away from the latest
    motherboard chipsets and have decided on an Intel 865PERL motherboard. These
    are the details, along with an explanation. Suggestions are appreciated,
    none of this is set in stone.

    Intel 865PERLL mobo - reliable with all the features required.

    P4 2.4 GHz (Northwood core) - supposedly runs cool for a P4 but still has
    good performance with its effective 800MHz FSB

    1GB (2x512) Kingston Value Ram (PC3200) - good value since premium RAM is
    not required (the mobo isn't overclockable anyway). It's also approved by
    Intel, the mobo manufacturer.

    NEC ND-3520A DVD-+- RW - supposedly a reliable, high performance burner.

    2 Seagate 120 GB IDE HDs (8mb cache)

    2 Vantec "EZ Swap" removable IDE HD racks

    Leadtek GeForce 6600GT AGP graphics card - good gaming performance, good
    value.

    Samsung FDD - reliable floppy drive

    Enlight 7250 case w 350 watt P/S
    (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-116-172&depa=0)

    The amp ratings for this P/S seem decent enough. (+5v@30A / +3.3v@28A /
    +12v@18A / -5v@:0.8A / -3.3v@:0.3A /
    -5VSB:mad:2A ). Would I need something better for this rig?

    Thanks!

    Cyrius7, Feb 11, 2005

  2. Cyrius7

    Dave C. Guest

    )

    > The amp ratings for this P/S seem decent enough. (+5v@30A / +3.3v@28A /
    > +12v@18A / -5v@:0.8A / -3.3v@:0.3A /
    > -5VSB:mad:2A ). Would I need something better for this rig?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Looks good. I'd delete the floppy myself. (when was the last time you
    actually used one?). Also, your power supply should be adequate for the
    hardware you chose. HOWEVER, there is no extra power for future upgrades.
    That is, 350W will handle what you chose NOW just fine. -Dave

    Dave C., Feb 11, 2005

  3. Cyrius7

    Art Guest

    "Dave C." <> wrote in message
    > Looks good. I'd delete the floppy myself. (when was the last time you
    > actually used one?). Also, your power supply should be adequate for the
    > hardware you chose. HOWEVER, there is no extra power for future upgrades.
    > That is, 350W will handle what you chose NOW just fine. -Dave

    Cyrius7:
    I won't comment on your other proposed components, but let me comment on
    Dave C.'s suggestion to eliminate the floppy drive. By all means, include
    it. The expense is trifling - probably no more than $10 or $15. And you can
    bet that there will be occasions where your friend will want to prepare a
    floppy disk. For one thing, I note you're including two removable HD racks
    (an excellent choice!) so it's highly probable your friend will use that
    configuration to clone his HDs using a Ghost bootable floppy disk for
    example. And then there will be times that for one reason or another he
    wants to copy a file or two onto a floppy disk.
    Art

    Art, Feb 11, 2005
  4. Cyrius7

    Matt Guest

    Art wrote:

    > "Dave C." <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Looks good. I'd delete the floppy myself. (when was the last time you
    >>actually used one?). Also, your power supply should be adequate for the
    >>hardware you chose. HOWEVER, there is no extra power for future upgrades.
    >>That is, 350W will handle what you chose NOW just fine. -Dave

    > Cyrius7:
    > I won't comment on your other proposed components, but let me comment on
    > Dave C.'s suggestion to eliminate the floppy drive. By all means, include
    > it. The expense is trifling - probably no more than $10 or $15.

    Yes, but you forgot the cost in snob appeal. If the OP puts in a
    floppy, he will lose the ability to toss around the claim that anybody
    who's with it never uses floppies.

    Matt, Feb 11, 2005
  5. Cyrius7

    Cyrius7 Guest

    "Art" <> wrote in message

    > I note you're including two removable HD racks (an excellent choice!) so
    > it's highly probable your friend will use that configuration to clone his
    > HDs using a Ghost bootable floppy disk for example.

    That's exactly right. Both drives will be set for "cable-select", with the
    slave drive remaining disconnected via the rack's power key. The only time
    it will be connected will be for making disk images or restoring disk images
    (only using Acronis TrueImage instead of Norton Ghost)

    >And then there will be times that for one reason or another he wants to
    >copy a file or two onto a floppy disk.

    I find it handy if just for BIOS updates (never did trust Windows BIOS
    utilities). And as you say, they're very inexpensive.

    Cyrius7, Feb 11, 2005
  6. Cyrius7

    Art Guest

    > "Art" <> wrote in message
    >> I note you're including two removable HD racks (an excellent choice!) so
    >> it's highly probable your friend will use that configuration to clone his
    >> HDs using a Ghost bootable floppy disk for example.

    "Cyrius7" <> writes...
    >> That's exactly right. Both drives will be set for "cable-select", with
    >> the

    > slave drive remaining disconnected via the rack's power key. The only
    > time it will be connected will be for making disk images or restoring
    > disk images (only using Acronis TrueImage instead of Norton Ghost)

    Hi again:
    I know we're getting slightly off the track from your original posting where
    you wanted comments on your proposed system, but allow me to respond to your
    latest comment re configuring your removable racks...

    Consider connecting both of them as Masters. The advantage to this
    configuration is that it allows you to boot to either HD without the bother
    of physically removing and reinserting the tray (caddy). So a simple turn
    of your Primary Master's rack keylock to the OFF position and then turning
    on your Secondary Master's keylock will allow a boot to that Secondary
    Master while both drives remain in their permanent position. And based on
    speed tests we have made with the other IDE devices, e.g., CD/DVD-ROMs,
    CD/DVD recorders, we have found no negative impact on their performance
    while connected as Slaves on different IDE channels.

    As to your disk imaging program, I think you've made a wise choice with the
    Acronis True Image program. I'm a long-time user of Symantec's Norton Ghost
    program and by-and-large I've been quite pleased with its performance as a
    cloning tool over the years. One of the real advantages of the Ghost
    program, insofar as I'm concerned, is using a Ghost bootable floppy disk to
    perform the cloning operation. However, based upon the favorable reviews
    I've come across re the Acronis program, I've been using that program for
    about the last two months. It seems to be as effective as the Ghost program
    and has the added advantage of being much faster in terms of data transfer
    speed, at least in my experience. Unfortunately it can't be used for cloning
    purposes using a single floppy disk, but works fine with a bootable CD.
    Art

    Art, Feb 11, 2005
  7. Cyrius7

    Guest

    Dave C. wrote:
    > "Cyrius7" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I am building a WinXP Pro system then shipping it to a friend. The
    >>priorities are price, stability, expandability and decent gaming
    >>performance. For stability reasons I'm shying away from the latest
    >>motherboard chipsets and have decided on an Intel 865PERL motherboard.

    > These
    >
    >>are the details, along with an explanation. Suggestions are appreciated,
    >>none of this is set in stone.
    >>
    >>Intel 865PERLL mobo - reliable with all the features required.
    >>
    >>P4 2.4 GHz (Northwood core) - supposedly runs cool for a P4 but still has
    >>good performance with its effective 800MHz FSB
    >>
    >>1GB (2x512) Kingston Value Ram (PC3200) - good value since premium RAM is
    >>not required (the mobo isn't overclockable anyway). It's also approved by
    >>Intel, the mobo manufacturer.
    >>
    >>NEC ND-3520A DVD-+- RW - supposedly a reliable, high performance burner.
    >>
    >>2 Seagate 120 GB IDE HDs (8mb cache)
    >>
    >>2 Vantec "EZ Swap" removable IDE HD racks
    >>
    >>Leadtek GeForce 6600GT AGP graphics card - good gaming performance, good
    >>value.
    >>
    >>Samsung FDD - reliable floppy drive
    >>
    >>Enlight 7250 case w 350 watt P/S
    >>

    > (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-116-172&depa=0
    > )
    >
    >>The amp ratings for this P/S seem decent enough. (+5v@30A / +3.3v@28A /
    >>+12v@18A / -5v@:0.8A / -3.3v@:0.3A /
    >>-5VSB:mad:2A ). Would I need something better for this rig?
    >>
    >>Thanks!

    > Looks good. I'd delete the floppy myself. (when was the last time you
    > actually used one?). Also, your power supply should be adequate for the
    > hardware you chose. HOWEVER, there is no extra power for future upgrades.
    > That is, 350W will handle what you chose NOW just fine. -Dave

    I too would keep the floppy. I don't use it often, but OEM versions are
    $10 or less. Some SATA firmware needs floppy, and I did have to make
    actual XP recovery disks after a disaster. What possible harm can it do
    to include it???

    , Feb 12, 2005
  8. Cyrius7

    Cyrius7 Guest

    "Art" <> wrote in message

    > Consider connecting both of them as Masters. The advantage to this
    > configuration is that it allows you to boot to either HD without the
    > bother of physically removing and reinserting the tray (caddy). So a
    > simple turn of your Primary Master's rack keylock to the OFF position and
    > then turning on your Secondary Master's keylock will allow a boot to that
    > Secondary Master while both drives remain in their permanent position. And
    > based on speed tests we have made with the other IDE devices, e.g.,
    > CD/DVD-ROMs, CD/DVD recorders, we have found no negative impact on their
    > performance while connected as Slaves on different IDE channels.

    Intriguing idea but I intend to make periodic backups of the system
    partition to the slave drive. These are image files though, I'm not cloning
    the drive. So I couldn't use the second drive as a master even if I wanted
    to. I plan to use a TrueImage rescue CD to restore a saved image, I won't
    have to swap drive positions anyway.

    Cyrius7, Feb 12, 2005
  9. Cyrius7

    Nigel7 Guest

    "Art" <> wrote in message

    > Consider connecting both of them as Masters ...

    But what would happen if both drives were accidentally powered on at boot
    time?

    Nigel7, Feb 22, 2005