Building a new pc

Reaction score
Im looking to build a new pc on a budget. I have £200 to spend. I have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, OS, CDRW, so i won't need to buy these.

I basically want to uset he pc for basic things such as internet, office activities. The pc won't really be used to play the latest games but for childrens games so the gfx card doesnt have to be great, but still be able to play games. I would also like some room for upgradability, i know i may be asking for alot for £200.

Hope you can help as its my first build.

Thanks

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Been trying to pick some holes in that lot ... can't fault it really. :rolleyes:

... but we will have to teach itsme how to post a link so I don't have to scroll over there ----------------------------->

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Been trying to pick some holes in that lot ... can't fault it really. :rolleyes:

... but we will have to teach itsme how to post a link so I don't have to scroll over there ----------------------------->

Yeah, that spec looks all very good... except for upgradability. A socket 939 motherboard, and a socket 939 Sempron will give you the basis for a system that could be upgraded long into the future.

However, for now, that system will be great. I doubt you'll be playing games on it anyway, and if you're the kind of person that likes to just buy a completely new office PC once every 2-3 years, then it can't be faulted.

Reaction score
Thanks itsme for going to the effort of searching for all the components.

So what socket 939 mobo would you suggest from ebuyer to replace the 754 one posted?

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
stuartw101 said:
Thanks itsme for going to the effort of searching for all the components.

So what socket 939 mobo would you suggest from ebuyer to replace the 754 one posted?
... and keep it under £200 err, pushing it a bit. ;)

By the time this thread is done you'll need £400

:D

Reaction score
If you aint particular fussy what brand of board you want and are really interested in a 939 board with SLI then look at this Gigabyte one. I have one already which cost me over £150 about 9months or so ago. Alltho this one on offer only has 30day warranty on them I have just bought another for my third system which is going to be a media centre.

Take into account tho the CPU prices do go up because they are SKT939
so entirely upto you.

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=11133&GroupID=1416

Reaction score
Mucks you need a wide screen monitor :D >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<:D
===================================
TriplexDread I am keeping within or at least close to Stuart`s budget is £200.00;)
Buy a MOBO with 30 days warranty :confused:
=============================

Stuart That system is fine for what you need it for:thumb: if it where not mucks would have told you, and I will not recommend something I will not use/do;)

Reaction score
Yeah i can understand your confusion. The warranty is with them not manufacturer tho ;)

They boards are that solid I have great trust in them :)

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
If you aint particular fussy what brand of board you want and are really interested in a 939 board with SLI then look at this Gigabyte one. I have one already which cost me over £150 about 9months or so ago. Alltho this one on offer only has 30day warranty on them I have just bought another for my third system which is going to be a media centre.

Take into account tho the CPU prices do go up because they are SKT939
so entirely upto you.

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=11133&GroupID=1416

triplex cani just ask why somebody would spend the extra cash on an sli board when they dont want to uise the board for gaming?? the sli feature adds around 20-50 quid onto the board so why bother buying one if you dont need it?

Reaction score
It was just a thought. And they are damn good boards!

That is why I said "Entirely upto you" :D

Also in terms of upgrading it has better prospects compared to a SKT754.

I always try to look ahead, far, far ahead.

For example if he got that board he could then in 3 years upgrade to a much much higher CPU and the board would be fine. And CPU's are gonna be a lot cheaper too

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
yeah i know i totally agree with the whole socket 939 thing but what i was saying is that i dont think he really needs to spend the extra cash on a sli board as he wont use the second graphics slot. Thats all;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If its cheap you want with a bit of room to grow you could look at

http://www.planetmicro.co.uk

They have a bargin basement and do buy 2 get one free stuff etc .

This may be old tech but would do for your stated needs ,

ASROCK K7S8X DDR400 ATA133 8X AGP+USB2 * (CS) (M003695)
left_corner.gif
pixel(1).gif
right_corner.gif
M003695.jpg
right_corner.gif
Illustration Only

left_corner.gif
Product Summary
bullet.gif
Suspend-To-RAM for instant-on PC and power saving
bullet.gif
5.1 Channel audio
bullet.gif
ATA 133 supported CLEARANCE STOCK

pixel(1).gif
£12.95 ex vat : £15.22 inc vatCurrently on special offer: Was £19.95 :: Save £7.00

AMD K7 ATHLON XP 2100 PLUS CPU OEM*(CS) (M005938)
left_corner.gif
pixel(1).gif
right_corner.gif
M005938.jpg
right_corner.gif
Illustration Only

left_corner.gif
Product Summary
bullet.gif
XP SOCKET A PROCESSOR
bullet.gif
266 BUS SPEED
bullet.gif
pixel(1).gif
£25.00 ex vat : £29.38 inc vatCurrently on special offer: Was £37.95 :: Save £12.95

10GB WESTERN DIGITAL WD100 HARD DRIVE *(CS) (M005931)
left_corner.gif
pixel(1).gif
right_corner.gif
M005931.jpg
right_corner.gif
Illustration Only

left_corner.gif
Product Summary
bullet.gif
10GB
bullet.gif
UDMA100 HDD
bullet.gif
7200RPM
pixel(1).gif
£12.95 ex vat : £15.22 inc vatCurrently on special offer: Was £29.95 :: Save £17.00

You could get some realy hunky memory to go with that and a neat case . Less than £150 the lot . :D

You could stick in this GC

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Retail-Boxed-...itemZ8762816497QQcategoryZ67864QQcmdZViewItem :D

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
if yer quick you could probably buy my mobo of e-bay , seems its going very cheaply . :(

Reaction score
There is a brilliant budget board called the Asrock Socket939 dual SataII, which you should be able to get for under £50. As the name suggests, it supports socket 939 processors and SATA2. However, the 'dual' bit is based on the fact that it is the only board that supports both AGP and ALSO PCI-E graphics cards. Handy. I would get that if I were you. It's the only budget board that has got very good reviews that I know of... CustomPC gave it 83% - which is high for CustomPC.

If you got that, and could stretch to spend £90 on a processor, you could get an Opteron 144 - which features the same core as the SanDiego 3700+ that I am using now. In other words, it's got much more cache than the Sempron, and is capable of being overclocked to 2.8ghz. Obviously, you'd need a decent fan and a decent case for that (which you won't be able to fit in your budget), but I think you'd comfortably get it up to 2.2ghz, which is 3700+ speed.

So yes, maybe if you left the case off, you could effectively have an A64 4000+ and s939 board for £140.
You won't be able to squeeze all the other components into that budget, but I think if you saved £350 and stuck a decent cooling fan and PC3200 RAM in there, you could actually make a rather powerful system.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
If its cheap you want with a bit of room to grow you could look at

http://www.planetmicro.co.uk

They have a bargin basement and do buy 2 get one free stuff etc .

This may be old tech but would do for your stated needs ,

ASROCK K7S8X DDR400 ATA133 8X AGP+USB2 * (CS) (M003695)
left_corner.gif
pixel(1).gif
right_corner.gif
M003695.jpg
right_corner.gif
Illustration Only

left_corner.gif
Product Summary
bullet.gif
Suspend-To-RAM for instant-on PC and power saving
bullet.gif
5.1 Channel audio
bullet.gif
ATA 133 supported CLEARANCE STOCK

pixel(1).gif
£12.95 ex vat : £15.22 inc vatCurrently on special offer: Was £19.95 :: Save £7.00

AMD K7 ATHLON XP 2100 PLUS CPU OEM*(CS) (M005938)
left_corner.gif
pixel(1).gif
right_corner.gif
M005938.jpg
right_corner.gif
Illustration Only

left_corner.gif
Product Summary
bullet.gif
XP SOCKET A PROCESSOR
bullet.gif
266 BUS SPEED
bullet.gif
pixel(1).gif
£25.00 ex vat : £29.38 inc vatCurrently on special offer: Was £37.95 :: Save £12.95

10GB WESTERN DIGITAL WD100 HARD DRIVE *(CS) (M005931)
left_corner.gif
pixel(1).gif
right_corner.gif
M005931.jpg
right_corner.gif
Illustration Only

left_corner.gif
Product Summary
bullet.gif
10GB
bullet.gif
UDMA100 HDD
bullet.gif
7200RPM
pixel(1).gif
£12.95 ex vat : £15.22 inc vatCurrently on special offer: Was £29.95 :: Save £17.00

You could get some realy hunky memory to go with that and a neat case . Less than £150 the lot . :D

You could stick in this GC

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Retail-Boxed-...itemZ8762816497QQcategoryZ67864QQcmdZViewItem :D

:eek: Read this:rolleyes:
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2394887.php

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
itsme read the thread . Got the point. Bought some stuff recently , arrived on time , works , was cheap . If they are going bust I realise I'm stuck if things go wrong . They haven't gone bust yet and they may not .Its a chance you take when buying anything from anyone these days . :)

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
itsme read the thread . Got the point. Bought some stuff recently , arrived on time , works , was cheap . If they are going bust I realise I'm stuck if things go wrong . They haven't gone bust yet and they may not .Its a chance you take when buying anything from anyone these days . :)

Yes I get what your saying!;) I am not saying who are and who are not going bust just an obsevation; Forewarned is Forearmed
;)

Ask a Question