    drivers or by that is it possible a driver for one of the USB devices?
    I suspect that it did have something to do with me reinstalling
    windows.

    MarkW, Feb 12, 2004

  2. MarkW

    Robert Rhea Guest

    Try this. It is from the Microsoft Knowledge Base

    PSS ID Number: 331988

    Article Last Modified on 8/4/2003

    ----

    a.. Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1
    b.. Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    c.. Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1
    d.. Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

    ----

    SYMPTOMS
    When a computer that is running Windows XP is accessing USB 2.0 hard disks
    under heavy stress conditions, you may receive a bugcheck 0xFE message
    similar to the following:
    BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER (fe)
    In a USB Driver bugcheck, the first parameter is a USB bugcheck code that
    has the following arguments:
    a.. Argument 1: 00000002, BAD_URB. The USB client driver has submitted a
    USB Request Block (URB) that is still attached to another Input/Output (I/O)
    request packet (IRP) that is still pending in the USB driver.
    b.. Argument 2: 8162ea78, Address of the pending IRP.
    c.. Argument 3: 81707950, Address of the IRP that is passed in.
    d.. Argument 4: 8156db7c, Address of the URB that caused the error.
    CAUSE
    This behavior occurs because in the NT Kernel two threads try to start an
    I/O operation on the same packet.
    RESOLUTION
    A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to
    correct the problem that is described in this article. Apply it only to
    computers that are experiencing this specific problem. This fix may receive
    additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this
    problem, Microsoft recommends that you wait for the next Windows XP service
    pack that contains this fix.

    To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support
    Services to obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support
    Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the
    following Microsoft Web site:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;CNTACTMS

    NOTE: In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support
    calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a
    specific update will resolve your problem. The typical support costs will
    apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the
    specific update in question.

    The English version of this fix has the file attributes (or later) that are
    listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are
    listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file
    information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between
    UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in
    Control Panel.

    Date Time Version Size File name SP Level
    12-Nov-2002 23:21 5.1.2600.106 1,848,320 Ntkrnlmp.exe SP1
    12-Nov-2002 23:21 5.1.2600.106 1,902,080 Ntkrnlpa.exe SP1
    12-Nov-2002 23:21 5.1.2600.106 1,874,944 Ntkrpamp.exe SP1
    12-Nov-2002 23:21 5.1.2600.106 1,880,064 Ntoskrnl.exe SP1
    13-Nov-2002 00:28 5.1.2600.1143 1,892,352 Ntkrnlmp.exe SP2
    13-Nov-2002 00:28 5.1.2600.1143 1,948,160 Ntkrnlpa.exe SP2
    13-Nov-2002 00:28 5.1.2600.1143 1,921,024 Ntkrpamp.exe SP2
    13-Nov-2002 00:28 5.1.2600.1143 1,924,480 Ntoskrnl.exe SP2

    STATUS
    Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products
    that are listed at the beginning of this article.
    Technology: kbWinXPHome kbWinXPHomeSearch kbWinXPHomeSP1 kbWinXPPro
    kbWinXPProSearch kbWinXPProSP1 kbWinXPSearch

    ----

    Send feedback to Microsoft

    © 2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

    Robert Rhea
    Microsoft

    Robert Rhea, Feb 12, 2004