BT Problems heads-up

Reaction score
Ww are with Sky...:D...who use BT/Openreach.....:eek:....been out so might have missed it...;)

Cheers for the heads up TC....:wave:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... was having my afternoon nap, missed the outage, if there was any here.

Just downloaded American Truck Simulator, and been watching on-line videos, so my 'tinternet is fine. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've maintained BT are rubbish since 1976.

A leopard does not change its spots.

I read recently that BT may be forced to end its cartel, can't recall the story exactly though.

I hope so.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
We didn't experience problems ourselves, but
I read recently that BT may be forced to end its cartel, can't recall the story exactly though.
I saw that too Flopps.
A report backed by 121 MPs says BT and Openreach should be separated for the good of the UK’s broadband infrastructure

A cross-party report calling for the formal separation of BT and Openreach has received the support of 121 MPs.
The source of that quote is: www.techweekeurope.co.uk

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
They've been saying BT and OR should be separated for years!

Reaction score
When I lived in Maidstone I had Virgin and we were getting 40mps when I moved out here I had BT that was 5 years ago. BT installed their connection and after the installation I got 1 MPs, I found out there was wireless by sight connection servicing the village, I told BT to their connection was rubbish and not fit for purpose and remove the connection and credit the installation costs to my telephone account which they did. I contacted Vfast which was subsidised by Kent County Council but still cost £24 a month and the the speed went up to12 MPs and has now reached 20MPs as time gone by. BT installed fibre optics to the box in the village about a year ago and anyone on BT is getting about 15 MPs now. BUT a BT engineer told me that the speed from the box would vary from house to house as often BT had used both Copper and Aluminium cabling from the box and some people would get considerably less as Aluminium had far higher resistance and that was causing many people problems. He said that the proper thing to have done was to have connected all BT customers was to have run fibre optics to all their customers like Virgin does but that was expensive so the cheaper option had been chosen. :confused:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
While that is kind of true, can you imagine the expense of blowing fibre to every property in the UK?

Also, Virgin isn't fibre to the property, its fibre to the cab (just like BT) then coaxial cable to the home. Which is installed when you order it. So in reality there isn't much difference in the two systems in terms of the network.

if its a village then you should all be fairly close to the cab anyway, so aluminium or not you should get decent speeds.

Whats the latency like on your Wimax connection?

Reaction score
I suppose I was lucky I lived on premises that was a data Centre for KCC we had a bungalow on site and we had probably one of the best private connections in the county I was getting 40gb and that was 5 years ago. I am not technical as I was the caretaker so not sure what you mean by latency so if you could give a quick explanation I would be able to answer.

Reaction score
Thanks Mr Mucks for the link. The Ping was 33ms and the Jitter was 9ms, if that helps VR:nod:

Reaction score
Just done a speed test Download 22.33 Mbps Upload .97 Mbps. No I do not play games at the moment but looking to as Steam is available now to Linux users:lol::lol:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
That ain't too bad, better than I thought it would be for sure. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I got 14ms ping and a request to install Java for the jitter test. Uh, nope ;)

Ask a Question