BT Home Hub Help

Reaction score
Hi,

Just a quick query. I have a Desktop PC Hardwired via Ethernet Cable to a BT Home HUB. I also have my Printer connected via network cable to. Mainly because i use a laptop wireless, and it saves messing around with having the PC Desktop PC on 24/7 to print documents.

My question - I have ordered BT VISON as an extra Freeview Source for use in another room. (I already have SKY).

I read from the BT documentation that this Device needs the use of a Ethernet Port. I don’t have a spare one on the Home Hub. Can I connect my Desktop PC via the USB port on the Hub (I’ve read several reports that this has problems, and is a pain to do!!!)

Or can I get a Netgear style Ethernet 5 Port Switch so I can plug in further devices, including the Ethernet cable from the BT Vison box

The Technical support person at BT on this query stated that it wouldn’t work.

Is this the case???

Any ideas will be gratefully received..

Cheers,

Mat

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You are correct in your assumption that USB is the pits and it is better to stick with Ethernet cabling.

I do not know why BT state it must connect to their Hub and may not work via the usual network hub ... I have all my PCs connected to an Ethernet Hub and only use one connection to the BT hub. Maybe they don't want you to "feed" it to every room in the house. ;)

From what I have read recently, BT needs to go back to the drawing board on this Vison lark.

user.gif

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, just to confirm if I buy one of these Netgear Hubs,
NETGEAR - 5-PORT 10/100 FAST ETHERNET SWITCH
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=726533&category_oid=

and plug it into the Hub. In theory giving me 5 extra Ethernet ports 2 of which will be used by (BT Vision box and my Printer) with the PC Plugged directly into the Hume HUB. This should do the trick, to solve my lack of Ethernet ports!!!

Cheers

Mat

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yes, in theory, there should be no problems. :thumb:

:user:

Ask a Question