    Broadband/modem router to the Wan port of the Linksys router (and then the
    cat5 cables from the various pc's into the Linksys ports) but it will not
    connect. Any suggestions most gratefully accepted!

    Guest, Dec 1, 2004

    Also want to add that all 4 pc's are running Win XP ;-)

    Guest, Dec 1, 2004

    Ron Sommer Guest

    If you are using the WAN port, the cable connecting the Linksys router to
    the Voyager router has to be a crossover cable.
    If the Linksys router has an uplink port, use it instead of the WAN port and
    use a regular cable. Using the uplink port will disable the # 1 port.
    --
    Ron Sommer

    Ron Sommer, Dec 1, 2004

    NobodyMan Guest

    On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 05:17:00 -0600, "Ron Sommer"
    <> wrote:

    >If you are using the WAN port, the cable connecting the Linksys router to
    >the Voyager router has to be a crossover cable.
    >If the Linksys router has an uplink port, use it instead of the WAN port and
    >use a regular cable. Using the uplink port will disable the # 1 port.

    I'm Nick Burns, your company computer guy.

    MOVE!

    Only hook up a crossover cable between the modem and the Linksys
    router if you want it NOT to work.

    All connections from the router to the modem and the router to the
    computers are done using a standard CAT5 cable. No need for
    crossovers.

    NobodyMan, Dec 2, 2004

    Leythos Guest

    In article <#>,
    says...
    > If you are using the WAN port, the cable connecting the Linksys router to
    > the Voyager router has to be a crossover cable.
    > If the Linksys router has an uplink port, use it instead of the WAN port and
    > use a regular cable. Using the uplink port will disable the # 1 port.

    The Linksys units DO NOT have a MDI/MDX port, they only have ONE port
    for the WAN connection, which is also the connection on the Internet
    Side of the solution.

    The 4 port units, have 5 jacks for the LAN (private network) side of the
    solution, port 1 usually shares with the cross-over port - but it's on
    the LAN side.

    If he can't get the WAN to CABLE MODEM connection working, then he
    should check to see if the unit requires PPOE or something like a
    host/domain name in order to work with that Cable Company.

    Step 1 - Turn off all power to everything
    Step 2 - Connect ethernet jack from cable modem to WAN jack on Linksys
    Step 3 - Connect ports 1-4 (linksys) to computers
    Step 4 - Turn on power on cable modem - wait 120 seconds
    Step 5 - Turn on power to Linksys - wait 60 seconds
    Step 6 - Turn on computers, check to make sure that IP is assigned
    by DHCP

    At computers - browse to Yahoo.com - if it works you're good to go, if
    it fails follow next steps:

    1) Open CMD window (dos box), type IPCONFIG /ALL
    2) Look for IP Address......... 192.168.X.Y
    3) Make note of default gateway IP address

    If you get 169.anything then the linksys is not talking to your computer
    properly, or you didn't connect the cable between the computer NIC and
    the Linksys LAN port.

    If you get 192.168.X.Y then you can see the linksys, this means your
    problem is between the cable modem and the Linksys WAN port.

    Open a web browser, browse to HTTP://192.168.X.Y, where X.Y is the
    default gateway IP address.

    enter the user/password as specified in the router manual.

    Click on Status - it should indicate what IP the Cable Modem is
    providing to the router - if none, then call the ISP and ask them what
    to do.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Dec 2, 2004

    Ron Sommer Guest

    I am having trouble understanding your setup.
    You have 4 computers connected to the LAN ports.
    Are 2 computers working?
    Did you setup the Linksys router with the BT Broadband settings?
    --
    Ron Sommer

    Ron Sommer, Dec 2, 2004

    Ok what I have done because of too many cables is now go for a wireless
    router/modem and all seems well.. so far. the only slight hiccup I am having
    is while the host pc (my laptop) is gtting a strong signal the other 3 are
    getting low -very low signals. not sure if this is because my pc is connected
    by ethernet and the other 3 have wireless network cards tho?

    Guest, Dec 2, 2004