Boot Problem-Need help bad. Computer wouldn`t boot.

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by Buddy b@yippi.ti.ye, Feb 6, 2006.

  1. Buddy

    Buddy Guest

    This cpr is a 3 yr old Sony with a 250GB drive, 1GB RAM, and XP Home.
    It has performed flawlessly until yesterday.
    I turned it on, heard the beep,and all I saw was 2 screens:
    The SONY logo screen.
    and the second screen that gave the name of the BIOS mfgr, vers, etc,
    and the drives on the primary and secondary channels.

    It stopped there.

    Rebooting did no good, nor did a short off time.
    I tried several boot disks,including the XP OS CD. It would not boot other than
    these 2 pages mentioned.

    I left it off for several hours and it booted fine.
    My guesses are that 1. the btry is almost dead?
    2. Hard drive is going bad? The hard drive is as quiet as ever..
    I hope someone can tell me what I should do.
    I hate to turn it off.
    Regards
    Buddy b

    Buddy , Feb 6, 2006

  2. Buddy

    Dick Cardy Guest

    <Buddy > wrote in message
    > This cpr is a 3 yr old Sony with a 250GB drive, 1GB RAM, and XP Home.
    > It has performed flawlessly until yesterday.
    > I turned it on, heard the beep,and all I saw was 2 screens:
    > The SONY logo screen.
    > and the second screen that gave the name of the BIOS mfgr, vers, etc,
    > and the drives on the primary and secondary channels.
    >
    > It stopped there.
    >
    > Rebooting did no good, nor did a short off time.
    > I tried several boot disks,including the XP OS CD. It would not boot other

    than
    > these 2 pages mentioned.
    >
    > I left it off for several hours and it booted fine.
    > My guesses are that 1. the btry is almost dead?
    > 2. Hard drive is going bad? The hard drive is as quiet as ever..
    > I hope someone can tell me what I should do.
    > I hate to turn it off.
    > Regards
    > Buddy b

    Check the CPU and the case fans, make sure they are clean and working.
    You might want to look at changing the battery but check the fans first

    Dick

    Dick Cardy, Feb 8, 2006

  3. Buddy

    Buddy Guest

    Re: Boot Problem-Need help bad. Computer wouldn`t boot. Dick

    On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 14:27:52 +0200, "Dick Cardy" <> wrote:

    ><Buddy > wrote in message
    >> This cpr is a 3 yr old Sony with a 250GB drive, 1GB RAM, and XP Home.
    >> It has performed flawlessly until yesterday.
    >> I turned it on, heard the beep,and all I saw was 2 screens:
    >> The SONY logo screen.
    >> and the second screen that gave the name of the BIOS mfgr, vers, etc,
    >> and the drives on the primary and secondary channels.
    >>
    >> It stopped there.
    >>
    >> Rebooting did no good, nor did a short off time.
    >> I tried several boot disks,including the XP OS CD. It would not boot other

    >than
    >> these 2 pages mentioned.
    >>
    >> I left it off for several hours and it booted fine.
    >> My guesses are that 1. the btry is almost dead?
    >> 2. Hard drive is going bad? The hard drive is as quiet as ever..
    >> I hope someone can tell me what I should do.
    >> I hate to turn it off.
    >> Regards
    >> Buddy b

    >Check the CPU and the case fans, make sure they are clean and working.
    >You might want to look at changing the battery but check the fans first
    >
    >Dick

    A monitor program says fans and processor ok. (rpm and temp)
    Time stays accurate.
    I am going to open it up, though.
    I haven`t had a problem since then.
    Thanks for the reply.