Boot.ini - Display Boot Options At Boot

Marc

I inadvertently reset my boot.ini to its default config (windowsxp pro).

Prior to resetting it, a menu would appear at boot time with some boot
options, eg:
- normal windows boot
- safe boot
- recovery console (recovery console is installed on my hard disk)

There may also have been a 'last good config' option but I can't recall for
sure. There was also a timer count down.

With the current default config, there are few brief post messages and then
just a black screen until the windows logon screen appears.

Can anyone what needs to go in boot.ini to get the options as above to
appear at boot time?

tia
Marc

Ron Sommer

I have Home and XP is on the second partition.

[boot loader]
timeout=3
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Home SafeMode"
/fastdetect /safeboot:minimal
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Marc

Are the options (as outlined in my original post) displayed when you boot? I
added the recovery console line as per your config to my boot.ini but it
didn't make any difference(my recovery console is in same directory as
yours).

Marc

Marc said:
I inadvertently reset my boot.ini to its default config (windowsxp
pro). Prior to resetting it, a menu would appear at boot time with some
boot options, eg:
- normal windows boot
- safe boot
- recovery console (recovery console is installed on my hard disk)

There may also have been a 'last good config' option but I can't
recall for sure. There was also a timer count down.

With the current default config, there are few brief post messages
and then just a black screen until the windows logon screen appears.

Can anyone what needs to go in boot.ini to get the options as above
to appear at boot time?

tia
Marc

David Candy

Yopu also have D:\windows?

Goodbye Web Diary
http://margokingston.typepad.com/harry_version_2/2005/12/thank_you_and_g.html#comments

Marc said:
I inadvertently reset my boot.ini to its default config (windowsxp
pro). Prior to resetting it, a menu would appear at boot time with some
boot options, eg:
- normal windows boot
- safe boot
- recovery console (recovery console is installed on my hard disk)

There may also have been a 'last good config' option but I can't
recall for sure. There was also a timer count down.

With the current default config, there are few brief post messages
and then just a black screen until the windows logon screen appears.

Can anyone what needs to go in boot.ini to get the options as above
to appear at boot time?

tia
Marc

Ron Sommer

What makes you think that I have D:\Windows?
--
Ron Sommer

Marc said:
I inadvertently reset my boot.ini to its default config (windowsxp
pro). Prior to resetting it, a menu would appear at boot time with some
boot options, eg:
- normal windows boot
- safe boot
- recovery console (recovery console is installed on my hard disk)

There may also have been a 'last good config' option but I can't
recall for sure. There was also a timer count down.

With the current default config, there are few brief post messages
and then just a black screen until the windows logon screen appears.

Can anyone what needs to go in boot.ini to get the options as above
to appear at boot time?

tia
Marc

Ron Sommer

My display is

1. Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
2. Windows XP Home SafeMode
3.Microsoft Windows Recovery Console

Last Known Good Configuration is one of the SafeMode options.
--
Ron Sommer

Marc said:
I inadvertently reset my boot.ini to its default config (windowsxp
pro). Prior to resetting it, a menu would appear at boot time with some
boot options, eg:
- normal windows boot
- safe boot
- recovery console (recovery console is installed on my hard disk)

There may also have been a 'last good config' option but I can't
recall for sure. There was also a timer count down.

With the current default config, there are few brief post messages
and then just a black screen until the windows logon screen appears.

Can anyone what needs to go in boot.ini to get the options as above
to appear at boot time?

tia
Marc

Ron Sommer

C is the first active (system) partition.
In my case, C is the second partition.
The first partition (D) is the XP installation files.

Marc

Thanks - and that's what I now get. Those options didn't appear the first
time I booted after adding the Recovery Console line to boot.ini but now
they do.

Marc