Bluetooth: minimal connectivety testing.

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by no.top.post@gmail.com, Mar 1, 2012.

  1. Guest

    Previously I asked the wrong question: how to transfer files between
    Win7. I need to test initially at almost a hardware level.

    So far I've got:
    the Win7 netbook sees other BTs in a shopping center.

    When I plug the dongle into the Win7 netbook, the
    dongle's LED flashes, but Win7 doesn't indicate that the dongle is plugged.
    Perhaps the dongle needs different drivers than the netbooks native BT.
    Perhaps the netbook can't drive 2 BT's together.

    Here's some log results, from my slak-PC with the dongle plugged-in:-------
    -> lsusb == ...
    Bus 003 Device 039: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
    --> lsmod == ...
    btusb 11456 0
    bluetooth 54020 1 btusb
    -> hciconfig hci0 reset
    --> hcitool dev ==
    Devices:
    hci0 00:15:83:15:A3:10
    -> hcitool scan ==
    Scanning ... <- times out
    --> hcitool inq
    Inquiring ... <- times out
    -> dmesg | tail ==
    EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
    Bluetooth: L2CAP ver 2.11
    Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized <-- *!!
    Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
    Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
    Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.10
    Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
    Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
    Bridge firewalling registered

    ==> enable Win7-BT == no effect on slak

    -> hciconfig features ==
    hci0: Type: USB
    BD Address: 00:15:83:15:A3:10 ACL MTU: 339:8 SCO MTU: 128:2
    UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
    RX bytes:1136 acl:0 sco:0 events:32 errors:0
    TX bytes:349 acl:0 sco:0 commands:25 errors:0
    -> hciconfig piscan == same output

    -> hciconfig hci0 reset == na
    --> hcitool dev ==
    Devices:
    hci0 00:15:83:15:A3:10

    -> hidd --connect 00:15:83:15:A3:10 == delay &
    Can't get device information: No route to host

    -> hciconfig up ==
    hci0: Type: USB
    BD Address: 00:15:83:15:A3:10 ACL MTU: 339:8 SCO MTU: 128:2
    UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
    RX bytes:3396 acl:0 sco:0 events:96 errors:0
    TX bytes:1047 acl:0 sco:0 commands:75 errors:0

    -> hciconfig auth == same output

    ====> except that unplugging dongle == no 'return text'.

    Making a comparison with a dial-up modem:
    we need to FIRST establish that RS232 is communicating and that
    AT-chars are being received and are correct, before we think
    about the type of ISP authorisation.

    So, since the Win7 is know to receieve, if I could test ONLY
    the transmission by the Slak-BT-dongle that would be the first step.

    Is 00:15:83:15:A3:10, IP6 or what?

    Do these logs indicate anything usefull?
    How should I proceed?

    == TIA.

    , Mar 1, 2012

  2. Paul Guest

    wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > -> hidd --connect 00:15:83:15:A3:10 == delay &
    > Can't get device information: No route to host
    >
    > -> hciconfig up ==
    > hci0: Type: USB
    > BD Address: 00:15:83:15:A3:10 ACL MTU: 339:8 SCO MTU: 128:2
    > UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
    > RX bytes:3396 acl:0 sco:0 events:96 errors:0
    > TX bytes:1047 acl:0 sco:0 commands:75 errors:0
    >
    > -> hciconfig auth == same output
    >
    > ====> except that unplugging dongle == no 'return text'.
    >
    > Making a comparison with a dial-up modem:
    > we need to FIRST establish that RS232 is communicating and that
    > AT-chars are being received and are correct, before we think
    > about the type of ISP authorisation.
    >
    > So, since the Win7 is know to receieve, if I could test ONLY
    > the transmission by the Slak-BT-dongle that would be the first step.
    >
    > Is 00:15:83:15:A3:10, IP6 or what?
    >
    > Do these logs indicate anything usefull?

    For computer to computer, isn't that setting up a PAN ?
    For computer to device, you use pairing to set those up.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883259

    "Joining a Personal Area Network"

    In that article, it almost looks like an item would show
    up in Windows, which can be seen by "ipconfig" in command prompt.
    (I.e. Has a network IP address.) In that example, it ends
    up with an APIPA address, because there is no DHCP in the
    picture.

    I don't know exactly what you're doing, but see if there
    is documentation for setting up PANs.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 2, 2012