    I can't get any where to type and windows xp will not load at all. F8 and
    F12 just give me the options and after I select it goes to blue screen again.
    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    cherokeegirl, Sep 20, 2009

  2. cherokeegirl

    neil Guest

    Do you have a windows xp disk you can boot from.
    Neil

    neil, Sep 20, 2009

  3. cherokeegirl

    Jose Guest

    Re: Blue screen says run chkdsk /f but can't get anywhere but F2setup

    On Sep 20, 6:23 am, cherokeegirl
    <> wrote:
    > I can't get any where to type and windows xp will not load at all.  F8 and
    > F12 just give me the options and after I select it goes to blue screen again.
    >  HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Can you give more details about the message on the blue screen?
    Codes, Errors, Numbers - skip what appears to just be boring text.

    It will not help you run chkdsk, but might come in handy later (there
    are lots of different blue screen displays).

    I would say the vast majority of posters with problems here do not
    have an XP installation CD, are not sure it they have one, where to
    get one, what it looks like or what to do with it if they had one.
    This is very common, but you can still run chkdsk (and should).

    You can create your own Windows Recovery Console CD and run chkdsk /r
    by booting your system on that.

    Eliminate or repair possible file system corruption from a power
    failure, ungraceful shutdown or aborted restart.

    Have any of these events occurred?

    You should first boot your PC into the XP Recovery Console using a
    bootable XP installation CD or a bootable CD with the XP Recovery
    Console on it.

    You can make a bootable Recovery Console CD by downloading an ISO file
    and burning it to a CD.

    The same XP Recovery Console commands can be run from the bootable
    Recovery Console CD.

    The bootable ISO image file you need to download is called:

    xp_rec_con.iso

    Download the ISO file from here:

    http://www.mediafire.com/?ueyyzfymmig

    Use this free and easy program to create your bootable CD:

    http://www.imgburn.com/

    It would be a good idea to test your bootable CD on the computer that
    is
    working.

    You may need to adjust the computer BIOS settings to use the CD ROM
    drive as the first boot device instead of the hard disk. These
    adjustments are made before Windows tries to load. If you miss it,
    you will have to reboot the system again.

    When you boot on the CD, follow the prompts:

    Press any key to boot from CD...

    The Windows Setup... will proceed.

    Press 'R' to enter the Recovery Console.

    Select the installation you want to access (usually 1: C:\WINDOWS)

    You may be asked to enter the Administrator password (usually empty).

    You should be in the C:\WINDOWS folder. This is the same as the C:
    \WINDOWS folder you see in explorer.

    RC allows basic file commands - copy, rename, replace, delete, cd,
    chkdsk, fixboot, fixmbr, etc.

    From the command prompt window run the chkdsk command on the drive
    where Windows is installed to try to repair any problems on the
    afflicted drive.

    Running chkdsk is fine to run even if it doesn't find any problems.

    Assuming your boot drive is C, run the following command:

    chkdsk C: /r

    Let chkdsk finish and correct any problems it might find. It may take
    a long time to complete or appear to be 'stuck'. Be patient. If the
    HDD light is still flashing, it is doing something. Keep an eye on
    the percentage amount to be sure it is still making progress.

    Remove the CD and type 'exit' to leave the RC and restart the
    computer.

    You do not have to adjust the BIOS again to boot on the HDD since the
    CD will
    not be present.

    Jose, Sep 20, 2009
  4. "cherokeegirl" <> wrote in message
    >I can't get any where to type and windows xp will not load at all. F8 and
    > F12 just give me the options and after I select it goes to blue screen
    > again.
    > HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    You need a bootable XP install CD to do this, and if you don't have one, you
    can use one you borrow. Boot from it and enter the Recovery Console, which
    is not very friendly. You have to know what commands you need and type
    them in.

    Here are a couple of links about this:
    http://forums.whatthetech.com/How_run_chkdsk_Recovery_Console_t95574.html

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058
    Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console for advanced users

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654
    "How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP"

    Patrick Keenan, Sep 21, 2009