Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
What it does ...

The Hosts file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. This file is loaded into memory (cache) at startup, then Windows checks the Hosts file before it queries any DNS servers, which enables it to override addresses in the DNS. This prevents access to the listed sites by redirecting any connection attempts back to the local machine. Another feature of the HOSTS file is its ability to block other applications from connecting to the Internet, providing the entry exists.

You can use a HOSTS file to block ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and even most hijackers. This is accomplished by blocking the Server that supplies these little gems. Example - the following entry 127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net blocks all files supplied by that DoubleClick Server to the web page you are viewing. This also prevents the server from tracking your movements. Why? ... because in most cases "Ad Servers" like Doubleclick will open a separate connection on the webpage you are viewing.

Now includes most major parasites, hijackers and unwanted Search Engines!

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Enjoy!

Reaction score
I like Proxomitron its a local proxy that uses the host address, but it take awhile to learn.

I put some of my own custom filters in it, and some forums have others that I have added.

You can also type in "localhost" instead of 127.0.0.1, Oh dont forget the port number if ya what to proxy it.

I think that is the reason that Im not getting any pest.

Ask a Question