    is trying to access that port. i'd love to block incoming traffic for IIS6
    and SQL server.

    http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Customizing-Windows-Firewall.html

    scott, Aug 4, 2005

  2. scott

    MAP Guest

    scott wrote:
    > I came across the below article concerning windows firewall. is there
    > a way to either add entries into the windows firewall applet or
    > modify the registry to block all incoming traffic on port 80 for a
    > win xp pc? i run a personal iis setup for development, but don't wish
    > to allow port 80 to be open for no reason.
    >
    > Every once in a while, norton anti-virus notifies me that a malicious
    > script is trying to access that port. i'd love to block incoming
    > traffic for IIS6 and SQL server.
    >
    > http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Customizing-Windows-Firewall.html

    Port 80 is used to connect to the internet,if you want to block all traffic
    just cancel your ISP.

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    MAP, Aug 4, 2005

  3. In article <O#>, "MAP"
    <> wrote:
    >scott wrote:
    >> I came across the below article concerning windows firewall. is there
    >> a way to either add entries into the windows firewall applet or
    >> modify the registry to block all incoming traffic on port 80 for a
    >> win xp pc? i run a personal iis setup for development, but don't wish
    >> to allow port 80 to be open for no reason.
    >>
    >> Every once in a while, norton anti-virus notifies me that a malicious
    >> script is trying to access that port. i'd love to block incoming
    >> traffic for IIS6 and SQL server.
    >>
    >> http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Customizing-Windows-Firewall.html

    >Port 80 is used to connect to the internet,if you want to block all traffic
    >just cancel your ISP.

    Mike, the Windows Firewall blocks unsolicited incoming traffic, not
    normal Internet access through a web browser. When I send my web
    browser to a web site, the firewall remembers the connection request
    (the site's IP address and the local port on my computer), and it
    allows the reply from the web site to come through.

    Scott, Windows Firewall blocks unsolicited incoming traffic on Port 80
    by default. Nothing can get through unless you (or a program that you
    install) explicitly create an exception for that port. Look on the
    Exceptions tab in the Windows Firewall window.

    What exactly is Norton telling you?
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com