Word Blank Word page opens before saved Doc

Reaction score
Oh dear, just when I thought the problem was solved (see early thread which has now closed). Today it came back only this time I can't use Alow's solution because there is no Normal.dotm to rename. All I have in the folder is Normal.old and Normal. I've tried to rename the last one or even delete it but Word won't have any of it because, it says, the file is already open. I checked and there wasn't a Word doc open at all.

Can anybody shed some light on the matter? Should I, for instance, do a Restore?

Reaction score
If there isn't a word document open, check the processes tab of Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Escape) for WinWord.exe and end the process if it's there. Otherwise look for a file named something like ~!ormal or ~!Normal and delete that before you try to rename it.

Reaction score
I don't know if I've stored up trouble for myself but I deleted all the Normal files in Templates because I realised one had been saved as a Macro Enabled doc and I didn't know how to change it. Previously docs were being saved as Macro enabled and that was the start of the problem but unfortunately it didn't resolve it for long.
Alow's solution lasted a whole week but what re-created the problem I don't know.

Presumably the docs will re-form?

Reaction score
Well, the file did re-create itself - it also has a yellow exclamation mark beside it - and was still Macro Enabled. How on earth do I set my templates to save normally?

Reaction score
I know there is a process to create a DOT instead of a DOTM, but this shouldn't be necessary. In Word 2007 and later, the default for the normal template is dotm because it allows you to save macros. If the Normal template were a dot, you wouldn't be able to save macros for use in general word documents.

Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand you, Alow.
What I have though are two Template files. One is named Normal and the other Normal.dot. Both have the yellow exclamation marks in the Word icons which indicates that something isn't quite right there. And the blank page is still appearing.

Reaction score
I think I know what caused the recurrence but can't think why. Because I've got some old AVG files floating around I downloaded a trial run of the AVG PCCleaner on the advice on someone else in this forum. Then I ran it and it did speed up my computer but didn't remove the old files. It was after this that the Word problem recurred - worse than before because it now happens EVERY time I open a saved Word doc whereas previously it only usually occurred immediately after boot up.
Has anyone got a clue? This thing is driving me nuts!

Ask a Question