Word Blank Word page opens before saved Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have a Dell Inspiron laptop running Win7, FF and Microsoft Essentials.

The problem I've been having for some months is that when I open a Word doc that I've saved it will open a blank page first. This isn't, I'm sure, serious, but it is darned annoying having to close two of them. I might add that this usually happens only when I first open a document after boot up. If I open a saved doc any time after it doesn't happen, well rarely anyway. At first I found that some of my docs had been saved (somehow) as Macro Enabled. I changed them all and the problem cleared but only temporarily. I've compared Word Options in both screens when they open and they all seem to be the same.

Now since I'm a writer and am frequently creating and saving Word docs I really would like to knock this on the head. I did find an old thread here and tried the remedy but without success. Can anyone help - pleeease?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Not sure what's happened, feckit, but your link simply brings up this thread again. :confused:

Reaction score
Look for Normal.dotm in C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates and change the ".dotm" to ".old" and let me know if that fixes it for you.

Reaction score
I just opened a Word doc after trying your solution. Only my saved file opened up! However, I shall see what happens next time I boot up because I've been this far before. Thanks for the remedy though. I'll let you know how things progress.
I Found several files named Normal and one called Normal1. Do I need them all? No idea what they are.

Reaction score
Normal.dotm is the standard template that Word uses for new, blank documents. Renaming it to Normal.old forces Word to create a new one the next time you start the program without actually deleting it so you don't lose any autotext, or things that may be saved in the normal template. If you have several, you probably have Normal.dot and Normal.dotm. The dot version is from older versions of Word.

Reaction score
Just to test your solution I switched off my pc completely. Then I booted up again to open a saved document. Hey presto, only the one appeared. No blank grey (except for Word toolbar) screen. I am so grateful alow. I've searched for months for a remedy for this annoying little habit. It seems now that you have solved it for me.
I very much hope so anyway. Thanks again.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Niv, Nelli0 had two threads on the same subject & one has been deleted by a Mod!:thumb:

Yes feckit, that's why we're here, don't need no help thank you ;)

And if you do insist on linking to a duplicate thread at least get it right and don't link to this one.

Glad to see a satisfactory conclusion to the problem here, kudos to alow :thumb:

Reaction score
Yes feckit, that's why we're here, don't need no help thank you ;)

And if you do insist on linking to a duplicate thread at least get it right and don't link to this one.

Glad to see a satisfactory conclusion to the problem here, kudos to alow :thumb:

The link was to the other thread on the same subject BEFORE being deleted by a Mod!
I was just trying to help, no need to jump down my throat over it!
I shall leave the spammers & double posters to You & other Mods in future!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The link was to the other thread on the same subject BEFORE being deleted by a Mod!

Oh no it wasn't, I followed the link before the duplicate thread was deleted and it came straight here. And anyway, if your link had worked it would have served only to belittle a new member looking for help. Not everybody is forum savvy and many believe posting twice will give them a stronger chance of success.

A gentle pointer to forum etiquette is preferable to a put down.

feckit said:
I was just trying to help, no need to jump down my throat over it!

You didn't enrol as a Special in your younger days did you?

feckit said:
I shall leave the spammers & double posters to You & other Mods in future!

That's the general idea old son, thank you :)

And as this thread has reached a satisfactory conclusion I think we'll put it to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question